Riverheads Vs. Tazewell

bulldog05-CO2017

In contrast to much of the sloppy play around the region, this was a contest played at a remarkably high level that was honestly closer than the scoreboard indicated.  Both teams had 1 turnover.  Both teams had 1 4th down conversion stopped in the competitive phase of the game.  Aside from 1 offsetting unsportsmanlike penalty, it was a largely clean game.  It was also the 2nd closest game (aside from Galax 2019) that Riverheads has played in its 27-game winning streak.

There were two plays that largely dictated the outcome.  The first was a 4th-and-3 for Tazewell from the Riverheads 12 where Cassius Harris was pretty much tackled a half second before the ball arrived, with no call.  The second and a 4th-and-4 for Riverheads from the Tazewell 12 where a masterful call had Zac Smiley running all alone in the flat for the clinching TD.  

Riverheads will once again tear through 1A like an F5 Oklahoma twister.  And Tazewell is for real, my friends.  We will have quite the horse race in the SWD this season.

Graham is going be the cream of the crop in SWD (Still too much athleticism). Richlands & Tazewell for the runner up. I'm not sold on Marion yet, but beating their biggest rival in Chilhowie after they shut out Burton is pretty convincing, VHS had a tough time with Grundy today. Both teams played sloppy. Considering VHS has a tougher schedule ahead of them than Grundy, I see a rough road ahead for them. Lebanon may be more improved that the last season, but still I don't see them matching up with the top tier teams of the SWD. But shout out to Tazewell. I think if they play hard & smart then they can compete. Starting off the season with a 1A power in Riverheads and playing completive is a big accomplishment. As they say in the bible "iron sharpens iron".

The play before Tazwells fourth down play looms large as the QB, from my vantage point, could have walked for a first down but threw the pass and it was short. Convert there and Tazwell likely scores and takes the 24-21 lead late. Not sure they could have stopped Riverheads, that last drive was masterful, a couple 4th down conversions, just eating the clock away and finding the back breaking score.

Also the long run and third and very long that set up the 4th and manageable. If Tazwell makes the tackle near the LOS where first contact was made, it's fourth and long and maybe Riverheads attempts FG and Bulldogs have a shot.