Graham vs Richlands

MusicMakesMeHigh

How has this thread not been started yet?

Palmer Patron vs Unscoutable

Bradshaw vs Webb

Ronnie Davis returns 

Blevins ripped Richlands heart out last year after Lester was ejected! Does he do it again?

So many story lines, preview of the SWD title? 

Who you guys got?

Excited to see how this turns out. It’s the non-District game, so it doesn’t really matter in terms of the SWD. Richlands having an entirely new system could be an advantage for the Blues. Cox needs to make the step up at QB and we need a WR or two who can make defenses pay for doubling Webb. And of course the defense needs to step up and control Blevins and Bradshaw. 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Excited to see how this turns out. It’s the non-District game, so it doesn’t really matter in terms of the SWD. Richlands having an entirely new system could be an advantage for the Blues. Cox needs to make the step up at QB and we need a WR or two who can make defenses pay for doubling Webb. And of course the defense needs to step up and control Blevins and Bradshaw. 

Is Cox going to be the starting QB for Richlands or the kid that transferred from George Wythe?

I think Graham will have a new look.  Big and Physical is what Im hearing. Plus the home-run threat of Bradshaw.  Not sure if they will have another speed guy. Can't wait to see them play.  I'll be watching Tazewell vs Riverheads and Graham vs Richlands that day.

QBs, it's going to be interesting as both have skills, but are very different. It may come down to athleticism and who holds up best under pressure, and of course, who fits Well's style of playing better. Being a non-district game, we can expect both coaches to try out some people in different positions in effort to create depth for prospective quarantines down the road. Richlands lost a lot of seniors last year, and this Graham group has played together a long time and now has a former Richlands coach. It is the game to watch this Saturday and a total wildcard. Oh and the battle of the D1 prospects. Webb over Bradshaw. 

QBs, both have skills, but are very different. After last year, I'd say it comes down to athleticism and who holds up best under pressure. Richlands lost a lot of seniors last year, and this Graham group has played together a long time and has a former Richlands coach now. It is the game to watch this Saturday and a total wildcard. And the battle of the D1 prospects, both are excellent, but I'd bet on Webb. 

Webb gets lost a little when talking about the top tier guys locally but the kid can flat out play. 

Does this one count toward power points and seeding? If so it could be good, if not I expect a JV game with both teams just feeling each other out and getting some quality reps in.

29 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Webb gets lost a little when talking about the top tier guys locally but the kid can flat out play. 

Does this one count toward power points and seeding? If so it could be good, if not I expect a JV game with both teams just feeling each other out and getting some quality reps in.

It’s my understanding that, yes this counts toward Power Points and therefore the standings by which the SWD teams will be selected for the playoffs.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s my understanding that, yes this counts toward Power Points and therefore the standings by which the SWD teams will be selected for the playoffs.

See I've heard that the Abingdon game wont count for the M7 teams. Again, HEARD that, don't know it for sure. I thought maybe the out of district or district duplicate games wouldn't count.

45 minutes ago, redtiger said:

See I've heard that the Abingdon game wont count for the M7 teams. Again, HEARD that, don't know it for sure. I thought maybe the out of district or district duplicate games wouldn't count.

The first game is a non-district game. So it won't count towards the SWD standings -- but I think it does count for power points. I think.

Just about every game played this week is going to come down to 3 things

1. Execution: There is no film study this year so game planning is tough this year. You can watch the film from last year (I know the Richlands regime from years past was big into that), but you are still looking at players that may not be there. Which ever team can execute the bread and butter plays against what I am going to assume will be pretty vanilla defenses have the edge. 

2. Conditioning: Which ever teams studs spend less time on the side line are going to have a big advantage. 3 weeks is not enough time to get into football shape and that all a lot of teams had. Hell usually the 5 weeks you have in a normal season is pushing it.

3. Want to: It is going to be cold and or wet in most of these games. Which ever team handles that the best and plays the hardest will win.

Just my opinion but what do yall think?

10 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Just about every game played this week is going to come down to 3 things

1. Execution: There is no film study this year so game planning is tough this year. You can watch the film from last year (I know the Richlands regime from years past was big into that), but you are still looking at players that may not be there. Which ever team can execute the bread and butter plays against what I am going to assume will be pretty vanilla defenses have the edge. 

2. Conditioning: Which ever teams studs spend less time on the side line are going to have a big advantage. 3 weeks is not enough time to get into football shape and that all a lot of teams had. Hell usually the 5 weeks you have in a normal season is pushing it.

3. Want to: It is going to be cold and or wet in most of these games. Which ever team handles that the best and plays the hardest will win.

Just my opinion but what do yall think?

I think that at this point the defenses should have a big advantage this week as Offences take more time to gel 

For this week I think teams that return most of there starters from last season and run the same system may have it tougher than schools Like Richlands with a new coach bringing in a new system

There are way too many unknowns to be able to predict a winner. It may come down to a defensive battle , it may hinge on the QBs. Blevins did great under pressure when he had to take over for Lester the last time GMen traveled to Ernie Hicks. So many variables this season , it should be a good battle. I’m hoping for a GMen win but if Blues take it, I’ll congratulate them on a job well done. 

3 hours ago, Counts said:

I think that at this point the defenses should have a big advantage this week as Offences take more time to gel 

For this week I think teams that return most of there starters from last season and run the same system may have it tougher than schools Like Richlands with a new coach bringing in a new system

Did you mean schools that run the same system and have their starters back will have it tougher or easier? Seems to me like if you are doing what you did last year it will take less learning curve....

Unless you are saying that the teams with new coaches have the element of surprise?

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

Did you mean schools that run the same system and have their starters back will have it tougher or easier? Seems to me like if you are doing what you did last year it will take less learning curve....

Unless you are saying that the teams with new coaches have the element of surprise?

I am saying both. 

Coaches with the same system and the same players should be ahead of teams trying to break in new starters with no preseason. However those Coaches should also be easier to game plan for

New Coaches like Richlands will be as a disadvantage personnel wise but will see more vanilla Defenses due to no film

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The first game is a non-district game. So it won't count towards the SWD standings -- but I think it does count for power points. I think.

That’s the rub with how the region voted.  Top 2 teams from each district based on Power Points make the playoffs.  It doesn’t count toward district standings but does for the metric that truly matters.  

That being said, it’s largely a moot point.  It’s irrelevant for the M7 because they all play each other, so the Power Points will perfectly track district standings.  For the SWD, there are a couple of scenarios I can envision where it gets really squirrelly.

First:(1) Tazewell loses to Riverheads with Riverheads going 6-0; (2) Graham and Richlands split their H2H; and (3) Tazewell splits its Graham/Richlands matchups. If my math is right, and presuming all beat the VHS/LHS/MHS trio, #1 would be the Graham/Richlands team that goes 5-1.  #2 would be Tazewell at 4-2, by one Power Point over #3, the Graham/Richlands team at 4-2, despite a 3-way district tie.  

Second: Same as above, but Riverheads somehow going 5-1.  You’d have a tie at the #2 slot.  If that’s resolved by H2H record, as I suspect it would be, that would resolve itself.  If not, then coin flip?

Again, not likely, but plausible.  All other permutations would mirror district standings, I think, unless Riverheads just tanks out of nowhere.  You could have situations then where #3 beats #2 yet misses the playoffs.  But considering Riverheads’s history, anything worse than 5-1 is awfully unrealistic.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s the rub with how the region voted.  Top 2 teams from each district based on Power Points make the playoffs.  It doesn’t count toward district standings but does for the metric that truly matters.  

That being said, it’s largely a moot point.  It’s irrelevant for the M7 because they all play each other, so the Power Points will perfectly track district standings.  For the SWD, there are a couple of scenarios I can envision where it gets really squirrelly.

First:(1) Tazewell loses to Riverheads with Riverheads going 6-0; (2) Graham and Richlands split their H2H; and (3) Tazewell splits its Graham/Richlands matchups. If my math is right, and presuming all beat the VHS/LHS/MHS trio, #1 would be the Graham/Richlands team that goes 5-1.  #2 would be Tazewell at 4-2, by one Power Point over #3, the Graham/Richlands team at 4-2, despite a 3-way district tie.  

Second: Same as above, but Riverheads somehow going 5-1.  You’d have a tie at the #2 slot.  If that’s resolved by H2H record, as I suspect it would be, that would resolve itself.  If not, then coin flip?

Again, not likely, but plausible.  All other permutations would mirror district standings, I think, unless Riverheads just tanks out of nowhere.  You could have situations then where #3 beats #2 yet misses the playoffs.  But considering Riverheads’s history, anything worse than 5-1 is awfully unrealistic.

I like that you used the term permutations rather than combinations!!  Excellent!!

I think Graham takes this first game. Also, to whoever said this game doesn't count. Technically it doesn't count but it's Graham and Richlands. It can be underwater basket weaving and these two teams will show up and compete. I expect a highly intense and competitive game as usual.

I think Richlands implementing a new system during the COVID offseason will be a tough task. I think most teams improve as the season goes along but I would put emphasis on Richlands improvement this year. I'm much more intrigued with the second time these teams go head to head. Richlands should have a solid grasp of the new system by then but I think opening up against Graham will be too tough to overcome. I'd give them a better shot if they saw each other week 3 instead of week 1.

Bradshaw will be the difference maker. I think he'll average 3 or 4 TD's during the regular season considering the SWD talent. The biggest question mark for Graham is their QB and discipline. Losing Lester will be tough to overcome. I think Blevins will be solid for Graham. Also, Graham loves see that yellow flag thrown around. It can be costly for them like it has been in the past.

However, I think it's Grahams district. Richlands reign is over in my opinion. I'm sure these will be the top two teams for years to come but I believe Graham is in a better position to dominate this district over the next 5-10 years. 

I anticipate a much closer game the second time around.

Graham by two touchdowns this week.

31 minutes ago, -oo- said:

I think Graham takes this first game. Also, to whoever said this game doesn't count. Technically it doesn't count but it's Graham and Richlands. It can be underwater basket weaving and these two teams will show up and compete. I expect a highly intense and competitive game as usual.

I think Richlands implementing a new system during the COVID offseason will be a tough task. I think most teams improve as the season goes along but I would put emphasis on Richlands improvement this year. I'm much more intrigued with the second time these teams go head to head. Richlands should have a solid grasp of the new system by then but I think opening up against Graham will be too tough to overcome. I'd give them a better shot if they saw each other week 3 instead of week 1.

Bradshaw will be the difference maker. I think he'll average 3 or 4 TD's during the regular season considering the SWD talent. The biggest question mark for Graham is their QB and discipline. Losing Lester will be tough to overcome. I think Blevins will be solid for Graham. Also, Graham loves see that yellow flag thrown around. It can be costly for them like it has been in the past.

However, I think it's Grahams district. Richlands reign is over in my opinion. I'm sure these will be the top two teams for years to come but I believe Graham is in a better position to dominate this district over the next 5-10 years. 

I anticipate a much closer game the second time around.

Graham by two touchdowns this week.

Graham has added some excellent coaches to the staff.  Ronnie Davis and Yubrenal Isabelle this year.  Mike Horton is back as the strength coach (huge for them in the weightroom).  Those kids work extremely hard and are in great condition.  Palmer says this is the strongest team he has had since he took over (in terms of physical strength).  We will see how that translates on the field.  Watching some of the videos out their of their weightlifting sessions, they seem to have some big ol boys  on the line this year.  Add a physical quarterback like Blevins and I believe the runningback may be Reed, who goes about 255 and that's a powerful offense.  Not sure who else is at RB, Reed may not be the main guy, hopefully they will have a change of pace type back, that's one thing that they may lack, but I guess we won't know until kickoff.

14 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham has added some excellent coaches to the staff.  Ronnie Davis and Yubrenal Isabelle this year.  Mike Horton is back as the strength coach (huge for them in the weightroom).  Those kids work extremely hard and are in great condition.  Palmer says this is the strongest team he has had since he took over (in terms of physical strength).  We will see how that translates on the field.  Watching some of the videos out their of their weightlifting sessions, they seem to have some big ol boys  on the line this year.  Add a physical quarterback like Blevins and I believe the runningback may be Reed, who goes about 255 and that's a powerful offense.  Not sure who else is at RB, Reed may not be the main guy, hopefully they will have a change of pace type back, that's one thing that they may lack, but I guess we won't know until kickoff.

I agree this may be the strongest team but its definitely the  least athletic team hes had in years outside of bradshaw. hes really all they got skilled wise.