Gate City Football: where are all the experts?

50kw

Starting QB, and only experienced senior, went down early in the 1st with an ankle injury. They had a few seniors come over from basketball but none have played since little league. Had a couple in quarantine, including Jenkins who is their speedster. Youth and inexperience across the line. Rough night for sure. 

My hope as a long time GC alum and fan is that they are respectable again in the next couple of years. The run of talent from the early 90's to the till 2010 was amazing, but lack of interest (from both students and supporters) is just flat scary! Coach Houseright has his work cut out for him! GC is a basketball school now (that happens when you have the leading scorer in VHSL history come through and a future Hall of Fame Coach calling the shots. It is a shame to watch the demise of a true blue blooded program but things change and I am sure the haters are somewhere celebrating but what goes around comes around. Here's to better days and I hope I get to see them!

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

My hope as a long time GC alum and fan is that they are respectable again in the next couple of years. The run of talent from the early 90's to the till 2010 was amazing, but lack of interest (from both students and supporters) is just flat scary! Coach Houseright has his work cut out for him! GC is a basketball school now (that happens when you have the leading scorer in VHSL history come through and a future Hall of Fame Coach calling the shots. It is a shame to watch the demise of a true blue blooded program but things change and I am sure the haters are somewhere celebrating but what goes around comes around. Here's to better days and I hope I get to see them!

The 2014 team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. They made a deep run and probably should have won it all . But still, been too long... As a M7 fan, I would also love to see Lee High right the ship, but that doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon either. 

1 hour ago, Friendly Henry said:

The 2014 team was loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. They made a deep run and probably should have won it all . But still, been too long... As a M7 fan, I would also love to see Lee High right the ship, but that doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon either. 

Watch a little of the Lee Union Game how young is Lee they look to have good size and did not look slow but had a lot of fundamentals issues they are a team that could look alot better in a few weeks if they can get there feet under them

1 hour ago, Friendly Henry said:

“Should have won it all” is a pretty big stretch.  Gate City lost a tight one to Richlands in the Quarterfinals, which wasn’t that bizarre, given that Richlands was rolling at the time and actually played Gate City pretty tough on the road in Week 1.

That being said, the playoffs broke pretty funky that year.  Giles was almost a prohibitive favorite to reach the title game; they were mauling everybody until they were thumped 35-0 by a Glenvar team they easily dispatched just 3 weeks before that.  That 2014 Glenvar run was one of the weirdest state title runs I’ve ever seen.  They beat a good-not-great Galax team in Week 1; survived a good-not-great Botetourt team in Week 3; then played a cupcake schedule until Week 10, when Giles blew them away.  They barely survived a poor Central team in Round 1; marginally survived a good-not-great Union team in Round 2; then morphed into the 1992 Dallas Cowboys for the rest of the playoffs.  Very, very weird team.

14 hours ago, Friendly Henry said:

Starting QB, and only experienced senior, went down early in the 1st with an ankle injury. 

Hate that for any kid but seems extra harsh for a senior in especially in this year.....Any Idea how long he will be out?

2 hours ago, Friendly Henry said:

thats 7 seasons ago

43 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

“Should have won it all” is a pretty big stretch.  Gate City lost a tight one to Richlands in the Quarterfinals, which wasn’t that bizarre, given that Richlands was rolling at the time and actually played Gate City pretty tough on the road in Week 1.

That being said, the playoffs broke pretty funky that year.  Giles was almost a prohibitive favorite to reach the title game; they were mauling everybody until they were thumped 35-0 by a Glenvar team they easily dispatched just 3 weeks before that.  That 2014 Glenvar run was one of the weirdest state title runs I’ve ever seen.  They beat a good-not-great Galax team in Week 1; survived a good-not-great Botetourt team in Week 3; then played a cupcake schedule until Week 10, when Giles blew them away.  They barely survived a poor Central team in Round 1; marginally survived a good-not-great Union team in Round 2; then morphed into the 1992 Dallas Cowboys for the rest of the playoffs.  Very, very weird team.

I said “probably” should have won it all,  which is admittedly subjective. I was merely making reference to a solid GC team post 2010. That team was loaded with firepower and a stout defense....including multiple all state selections and 2A offensive player of the year. You’re spot on about the funky playoffs that year.

11 minutes ago, redtiger said:

thats 7 seasons ago

Exactly.....like I said “been too long”. I have faith in the current coaching staff, but the current crop of kids is pretty far removed from the moxie of the last successful GC team, with a few exceptions. Reed’s brother was an all state DB in ‘14. Him, Edwards and Jenkins are players. The rest are very young and/or very inexperienced, and most don’t even remember a successful season. Times are different, kids are different, and the once successful feeder program has been broken for some time.

1 hour ago, Counts said:

Hate that for any kid but seems extra harsh for a senior in especially in this year.....Any Idea how long he will be out?

Not sure. I heard he was hobbling around school yesterday. Tough break for sure. Crazy year...miss a couple games and it’s a third of your season.

I missed an apostrophe on the 2010..should have been 2010"s...no disrespect to the 2014 squad, who by the way should have at least tied that game in the 4th quarter, QB had two receivers open one at the post and one in the right corner of the endzone and threw into double coverage in the left end. That was the Caleb Herron lead team...like I posted above here's to better days! 

As stated here multiple times, until the Little League program has a complete overhaul to get kids interested at an earlier age, there won’t be much success.  GC needs multiple seasons like last year to build momentum and attract players walking the halls while developing the elementary age kids at the same time.