Richlands @ Virginia High

V-Cats

VHS barely got past Grundy. And with all due respect to Grundy, I know they have a lot of kids back and is highly likely better than the previous season, but they're not on a Richlands level so I'd be surprised if this game was anything less than a 30 point margin win for Richlands.

I’ll take Richlands but as others have said, it’s a crazy season. I’d say Richlands is doing some fine tuning this week and won’t look as sloppy as they did on Saturday. 3 weeks prep is hard , period, no matter the team especially without scrimmages. There’s going to be lots of hiccups. 

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I believe so.

That kid is a game changer. I know they do not have much around him and he may have lost a step from last year because of the knee but he is the type of kid that you couldn't tackle in a phone booth.

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

That kid is a game changer. I know they do not have much around him and he may have lost a step from last year because of the knee but he is the type of kid that you couldn't tackle in a phone booth.

He is still not 100% and is playing DB.  He had 1 carry from 5 yard line for a TD.  VA HIGH put a JV team out there last year with freshman and sophomore.  They are now sophomores and juniors  VA High has 5 athletes that will be faster than most.  The problem with VA High is it is not a football town, and putting those kids in space has always been a problem with the fronts. Nothing has changed in that aspect.  They are still really young right now, but aren't ready to compete with the Richlands and Grahams of the district.   

38 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

He is still not 100% and is playing DB.  He had 1 carry from 5 yard line for a TD.  VA HIGH put a JV team out there last year with freshman and sophomore.  They are now sophomores and juniors  VA High has 5 athletes that will be faster than most.  The problem with VA High is it is not a football town, and putting those kids in space has always been a problem with the fronts. Nothing has changed in that aspect.  They are still really young right now, but aren't ready to compete with the Richlands and Grahams of the district.   

I completely understand on the football town part there is very few of them left and those are your teams that always do well because it still means something to put on that hometown helmet. I hope he heals up for his senior year he is a special. If he was a little bigger or had some hogs up front to open some holes he would be in conversation for best player in the region hands down. 

30 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Is the Thomas kid still at VHS? He was electric as a freshman when I saw him years ago.

Yes....he is a junior but just came off ACL surgery, was just released!  

3 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Yes....he is a junior but just came off ACL surgery, was just released!  

Hopefully he makes a full recovery, he impressed me quite a bit in the limited action I saw of him as a freshman. Seemed like he had the ability to break one to th house at any moment.

2 hours ago, rhs82 said:

Does anybody know if Coach Wells is concidering a quarterback change ?

First game in a new system with 3 weeks practice and only 5 more games (5 weeks left in regular season).  I would say probably not.  Big learning curve.  He does have a lot of potential.  That offense doeant come easy.

8 hours ago, mv91 said:

Listening to the game, Cox didn't have time to do anything.  Grahams Dline (Fritz in particular) was on him just about every play before he had time to do anything.  Richlands needs to sure up their line play for sure.  Can't put it all on Cox at all.

Coach Wells said on the weekly radio show that they worked on that this week in practice, so we should see an improvement on Saturday. I think a lot of the weaknesses we saw last week could be attributed to first game scenario and it was against Graham, but Cox is still going to have to move and react faster. I don't want to be down on anybody's kid, though, so hopefully, that is just a first game thing.