2021 Schedules

1inStripes

7 hours ago, BSGSportsFan said:

Union playing two Cumberland teams is a joke. If they are lucky enough to beat Graham and win the region, you can forget playing at home in the semifinals. That schedule won't outpoint Appo or whoever comes out of C. I'd rather play someone with a pulse and lose than this, how does this help get ready for the playoffs?

Union plays in a very tough district and also plays Richlands and Graham. So they play Burton and TW, which are not powerhouse 2A teams, but Burton could be top half of Mountain 7 any year, beating Gate City, Lee, and Battle then could sneak up and upset someone in top half. Burton will win 8 games this season minimum, and TW based on schedule could win 5-6 each year. So Union will get 26-28 points for beating TW and 32 for beating Burton. That’s quite a bit more than 20 for beating GC, 22 for beating Battle, and 18 for beating Lee. If I were them, I would pick up Eastside too and get about 26-28 more. 

But you are right, play Science Hill or Elizabethton and lose, get about 20 power points, lose spots in seeding, but it’s all good because your schedule looked tougher haha 

13 hours ago, huh said:

Union plays in a very tough district and also plays Richlands and Graham. So they play Burton and TW, which are not powerhouse 2A teams, but Burton could be top half of Mountain 7 any year, beating Gate City, Lee, and Battle then could sneak up and upset someone in top half. Burton will win 8 games this season minimum, and TW based on schedule could win 5-6 each year. So Union will get 26-28 points for beating TW and 32 for beating Burton. That’s quite a bit more than 20 for beating GC, 22 for beating Battle, and 18 for beating Lee. If I were them, I would pick up Eastside too and get about 26-28 more. 

But you are right, play Science Hill or Elizabethton and lose, get about 20 power points, lose spots in seeding, but it’s all good because your schedule looked tougher haha 

It's not ever going to happen, but I would like to see all the Wise Co teams + Burton play each other every year. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I would think that a top tier program in tenn would be more beneficial than a Cumberland team.  the burton game may be beneficial, if you win but who knows.  the new Sullivan school open this season?

Were you on the line when the schedule was made? It takes two schools to schedule a game. You don't know who all said no and who Union may have said no to. I would be willing to bet Union would prefer not to play TW but that may have been the only choice.

31 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Were you on the line when the schedule was made? It takes two schools to schedule a game. You don't know who all said no and who Union may have said no to. I would be willing to bet Union would prefer not to play TW but that may have been the only choice.

You mean you have to take in consideration several factors such as your geographical location, available date,  travel time, and gate money? I thought every team would just set a date no matter the location and base it solely on competition.

27 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Disappointed as we may be, this has definitely been a problem over the years, lots of schools saying no to Union. Outside of KY schools, I'm unaware of the coaches saying no to anyone. Tenn High was on the line a couple of years ago, but they couldn't get open dates to work out. Science Hill too, but they didn't want to come to BSG. The biggest problem with Tennessee schools is the embarrassment of getting beaten by a VA school less than half their size. And most of the ones that are the same size have either refused to play, are not practical distance wise, or wouldn't really offer much of a challenge.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bears play Bluefield if it weren't for the distance. That's the only reason I don't care for the Graham match up. Well, that and the powerpoint/playoff issue. There are many, many Tennessee schools that would offer great games AND are less than 2 hours away. Maybe next cycle.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I would think that a top tier program in tenn would be more beneficial than a Cumberland team.  the burton game may be beneficial, if you win but who knows.  the new Sullivan school open this season?

West Ridge open in August and thier schedule has been out for a while. They are Region 1 6A. 8-20 @ Volunteer, 8-27 @ Boone, 9-3 Science Hill, 9-17 @ DB, 9-24 @ Cherokee, 10-1 @ William Blount, 10-8 @ Crockett, 10-15 Morristown East, 10-21 Tennessee High, 10-29 Jefferson County.

If you are going to play TW, why go there? Just give them a few grand out of the gate like we have done in the past so that your kids get an extra home game, TW gets their $$$ and everyone is happy. Union playing at TW in football, barring some collapse of our program or them turning into Riverheads, should never happen.

1 hour ago, BSGSportsFan said:

If you are going to play TW, why go there? Just give them a few grand out of the gate like we have done in the past so that your kids get an extra home game, TW gets their $$$ and everyone is happy. Union playing at TW in football, barring some collapse of our program or them turning into Riverheads, should never happen.

Probably just need to go ahead and shut the program down now, it has hit rock bottom 

On 5/10/2021 at 2:17 PM, BigWinners said:

I'm sure the four that survived the hep C and gangrene have fond memories 

It wasn’t as bad as people now romanticize it as being. Mostly just a lot of mud and little grass…sometimes with some sawdust-like something mixed in.

18 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

It wasn’t as bad as people now romanticize it as being. Mostly just a lot of mud and little grass…sometimes with some sawdust-like something mixed in.

Began playing at Riggs when I was 8 never was as bad as people make it out to be.  Parking is the only real issue.  The field looks great now since no one practices on it

I haven't seen Lebanon's full schedule yet, but I've heard they are playing the usual Honaker and Castlewood games. They are also playing Eastside and Virginia High. The rest of the schedule should  be hogo teams. 

44 minutes ago, Pioneer said:

I haven't seen Lebanon's full schedule yet, but I've heard they are playing the usual Honaker and Castlewood games. They are also playing Eastside and Virginia High. The rest of the schedule should  be hogo teams. 

There are only five other schools in the Hogo. If they're playing a full schedule, there should be five out of district games.

12 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Disappointed as we may be, this has definitely been a problem over the years, lots of schools saying no to Union. Outside of KY schools, I'm unaware of the coaches saying no to anyone. Tenn High was on the line a couple of years ago, but they couldn't get open dates to work out. Science Hill too, but they didn't want to come to BSG. The biggest problem with Tennessee schools is the embarrassment of getting beaten by a VA school less than half their size. And most of the ones that are the same size have either refused to play, are not practical distance wise, or wouldn't really offer much of a challenge.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bears play Bluefield if it weren't for the distance. That's the only reason I don't care for the Graham match up. Well, that and the powerpoint/playoff issue. There are many, many Tennessee schools that would offer great games AND are less than 2 hours away. Maybe next cycle.

Would've love to see Union and Paintsville, KY  get that second game in. Also Ridgeview vs. Pikeville. I understand that most VA folks have issues with KY officiating, but those games were entertaining and worth it.

59 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

There are only five other schools in the Hogo. If they're playing a full schedule, there should be five out of district games.

Like I said I, I haven't seen their entire schedule yet, I've only heard parts of it. 

2 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Would've love to see Union and Paintsville, KY  get that second game in. Also Ridgeview vs. Pikeville. I understand that most VA folks have issues with KY officiating, but those games were entertaining and worth it.

You'd have to be 20 points better to beat Paintsville in KY would be the only problem

On 5/10/2021 at 3:47 PM, BSGSportsFan said:

Union playing two Cumberland teams is a joke. If they are lucky enough to beat Graham and win the region, you can forget playing at home in the semifinals. That schedule won't outpoint Appo or whoever comes out of C. I'd rather play someone with a pulse and lose than this, how does this help get ready for the playoffs?

Union may upset Burton who knows lol!😘

9 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I enjoyed playing all the KY schools. Paintsville, especially, was a great challenge. They had athletes everywhere, specifically, football players everywhere. Very impressive team.

However, I did not enjoy playing the KY refs. Maybe if we could play at a neutral site with TN refs??

I know we aren't in the same geography but I'll post up Appomattox's schedule for ya.

8/27 @ Buckingham
9/3 Rustburg (3A)
9/10 @Heritage (3A) went to playoffs
9/17 Lord Botetout (3A runner up)
9/24 DanRiver
10/1 @Altavista
10/8 Gretna
10/15 @Nelson
10/22 Chatham
10/29 @William Campbell
11/5 Bye
11/12 Playoffs begin.

Heritage and Lord Botetout will be big games that will push them (win or lose) and make them better come playoffs.
Likely to scrimmage LCA as well which took Lord Botetout to the buzzer in the state semi final in 3A.