09-10    A    Galax
09-17    A    George Wythe
09-24    A    Glenvar
10-01    A    Floyd County
10-08    A    Radford
10-22    A    Alleghany
10-29    H    James River
11-05    H    Floyd County

I have a feeling that the George Wythe game is a home game but the Wythe band calendar says it is in Wytheville. Lol

On 7/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

GRAYSON COUNTY

08-27    A    Alleghany, NC
09-03    A    Carroll County
09-10    A    Rural Retreat
09-24    A    Marion
10-01    H    Covington
10-08    A    Auburn
10-15    H    Giles
10-22    H    Fort Chiswell
10-29    H    George Wythe
11-05    H    Galax

Sheesh! First 4 games are away. 

On 7/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, Fairlawncat said:

Kudos to Galax.  Just saw West Stokes when scrolling through that schedule and Wo Nelly, West Stokes is a bad outfit.  Down in 2020 by their standards with the Covid year going 2-4ish, but two of those 4 were nailbiters.  I think West Stokes will be as tough or slightly better than Glenvar and Radford, and not much further down, but a slight notch down from Graham.  Galax has a very solid schedule.  Very impressive.  The ten teams on their schedule better pack a lunch, or it can end in a loss for any of the 2 teams they play.  They will be good enough with their on field talent to possibly win all 10 of those games.  Odds are they slip up at least 1 time, but you never know.

All anyone needs to know about West Stokes, they gave East Surry fits during the 2019 season. East Surry may be the best high school football team I have ever seen play. They destroyed juggernaut Tarboro 56-28 in the state championship game that wasn't that close. That 2019 East Surry team has six player on D1 rosters right now. Three at UNC, two at Appalachian State and one at NC State. Another half-dozen are playing D2 at Wingate, Catawba, Lees-McRae and Lenoir-Ryne. East Surry beat West Stokes 35-10 in 2019 but the score was 14-10 heading into the 4th quarter. 

West Stokes has to be favored but Galax will come prepared. 

On 7/6/2021 at 7:05 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

I was told Bland was not playing a district schedule this year. I was told they refused to play Giles as well. this may be why those schedules are not out yet.

They're refusing to play Giles but yet are playing Narrows non-district and on the road?  Something doesn't stir the Kool-Aid here.  

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

They're refusing to play Giles but yet are playing Narrows non-district and on the road?  Something doesn't stir the Kool-Aid here.  

the Giles coach that I talked to shook his head about this situation as well.

Is this some kind of push-back from Bland directed at the VHSL for not approving their move to the Hogohegee?  

Seems like a form of self-sabotage considering VHSL could easily push back by refusing any Bland program from competing in post season play.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Is this some kind of push-back from Bland directed at the VHSL for not approving their move to the Hogohegee?  

Bland in the hogo? That would make for some rough travel times

3 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Cumberland County refused to play Goochland which was in their district a few years back, claiming competitive disadvantage. The VHSL approved that Cumberland did not have to play Goochland. They were getting blown out by 60 or 70 every time they played. Bland could certainly claim the same thing against a number of schools, given their recent issues fielding a team.  But there may be another reason in play.  Does seem a little odd to play Narrows twice, especially with the recent mediocrity of Giles 

34 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Bland in the hogo? That would make for some rough travel times

Bland refusing to play a district schedule while voluntarily agreeing to travel to Rye Cove and Castlewood!?!?!  

Is it really any different than Narrows pulling out of the MED to play Covington, Bath and Parry McClure?

Obviously Bland is rebuilding what little bit of a program they have. Obviously trying to play schools they have a chance to compete. As for Giles and Narrows. You know you are going to lose right now so why not keep relations cozy with a close neighbor that most likely has a better crowd when they come to your place. If I was in their shoes I would probably do the same thing for now and hope not to have to do that for very long.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Bland refusing to play a district schedule while voluntarily agreeing to travel to Rye Cove and Castlewood!?!?!  

Is it really any different than Narrows pulling out of the MED to play Covington, Bath and Parry McClure?

Narrows changed districts, not that I agreed with it.  Bland, in this scenario, is just ducking theirs without switching.  Apples and oranges.  Try again.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Obviously Bland is rebuilding what little bit of a program they have. Obviously trying to play schools they have a chance to compete. As for Giles and Narrows. You know you are going to lose right now so why not keep relations cozy with a close neighbor that most likely has a better crowd when they come to your place. If I was in their shoes I would probably do the same thing for now and hope not to have to do that for very long.

Maybe, but the close neighbor and gate thing still doesnt really hold water.  Giles is 10 mins further away and would bring roughly the same gate or maybe more regardless.  Still not buying what they're selling.

27 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Narrows changed districts, not that I agreed with it.  Bland, in this scenario, is just ducking theirs without switching.  Apples and oranges.  Try again.

Bland did try to switch districts. VHSL denied them twice just as they denied Giles the first time before acquiescing the second time around.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

J. I. BURTON

08-26    H    Ridgeview
09-03    H    Chilhowie
09-10    A    Union
09-17    A    Twin Springs
10-01    H    Eastside
10-08    H    Lee
10-15    A    Grundy
10-22    H    Castlewood
10-29    A    Rye Cove
11-05    A    Thomas Walker

I was hoping to have Central instead of Grundy.

CENTRAL

08-27    A    Eastside
09-03    A    Marion
09-10    H    Ridgeview
09-17    H    Virginia High
10-01    A    Abingdon
10-08    H    John Battle
10-15    H    Union
10-22    H    Lee
10-29    A    Gate City
11-05    H    Grundy

VIRGINIA HIGH

08-27    H    Tazewell
09-03    A    John Battle
09-10    H    Patrick Henry GS
09-17    A    Central
09-24    H    Lebanon
10-08    A    Honaker
10-15    A    Graham
10-22    H    Chilhowie    
10-29    H    Marion
11-05    A    Richlands

GILES

08-27    H    Blacksburg
09-03    A    Galax
09-10    A    George Wythe
09-17    H    Narrows
09-24        Fort Chiswell
10-08        North Cross
10-15    A    Grayson County
10-22    A    James River
10-29        Auburn
11-05    H    Glenvar

Still looking for the location of 3 games.