2021 Schedules

1inStripes

1 minute ago, 1inStripes said:

What will become very interesting this year is how many games get moved to Saturdays, or deal with 4 man crews from officials.

THIS^^^^^

Guys, the officiating shortage is REAL in SWVA. We need bodies, point blank. Our association has been aging for a long time now, and we are finally starting to see a rapid decline in participation due to a number of factors but, mostly that fall off can be attributed to the average age in the AFOA. To 1iS's point, I do not foresee 4 man crews as much as I do as shifting dates to Thursdays or Saturdays. I also foresee a lot of ibuprofen, Biofreeze and Gold Bond foot powder to be sold if crews have to cover up to 2 varsity games a week, along with sub-varsity. 

22 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yeah can't blame anyone for not being a ref...who would wanna listen to that mess every game every year?

Honestly, it takes a very special interpersonal skillset to do the job. Are we underpaid in comparison with the rest of the state and surrounding states? Yes, however I average $25-30 an hour when I'm on field. That is not bad money no matter what you're doing, especially if it is something you enjoy. Travel? Pfft, unless it is to Ewing or Galax, it's a walk in the park. The abuse, mehh. I do not pay one iota of attention to any spectators comment. I do it because of the relationships I've made, the opportunity to always be improving at the craft and my people skills, and giving back to sports that I owe so much to for making me the person I am today off the field. I truly enjoy being around the game, the student athletes we serve, and the coaches. I get that it is not for everyone, but there sure seem to be some rules aficionados during the season on this board so I thought I'd place my help wanted plug here  😂

44 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yeah can't blame anyone for not being a ref...who would wanna listen to that mess every game every year?

Yeah the way I talk to the refs someone should kick my arse

3 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Honestly, it takes a very special interpersonal skillset to do the job. Are we underpaid in comparison with the rest of the state and surrounding states? Yes, however I average $25-30 an hour when I'm on field. That is not bad money no matter what you're doing, especially if it is something you enjoy. Travel? Pfft, unless it is to Ewing or Galax, it's a walk in the park. The abuse, mehh. I do not pay one iota of attention to any spectators comment. I do it because of the relationships I've made, the opportunity to always be improving at the craft and my people skills, and giving back to sports that I owe so much to for making me the person I am today off the field. I truly enjoy being around the game, the student athletes we serve, and the coaches. I get that it is not for everyone, but there sure seem to be some rules aficionados during the season on this board so I thought I'd place my help wanted plug here  😂

I refereed for nearly 20 years (mostly outside of Virginia). When I did come back to this area, the closest game I had to Galax was Abingdon. It's tough to justify spending 8 hours every Friday night away from your toddler and newborn when the money often didn't cover the expense of the travel required. The only sense I could make from being sent to Russell County or Dickenson County from Galax every week was, they didn't want or need my services! So I began to invest more time in my golf game.

I get the same gratification from playing golf with the juniors in this region without enduring any of the stupidity from the "experts" in attendance. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I refereed for nearly 20 years (mostly outside of Virginia). When I did come back to this area, the closest game I had to Galax was Abingdon. It's tough to justify spending 8 hours every Friday night away from your toddler and newborn when the money often didn't cover the expense of the travel required. The only sense I could make from being sent to Russell County or Dickenson County from Galax every week was, they didn't want or need my services! So I began to invest more time in my golf game.

I get the same gratification from playing golf with the juniors in this region without enduring any of the stupidity from the "experts" in attendance. 

Mad props to you and your experience. It doesn't hurt to be "centrally" located in this region in regards to travel, however, I totally understand your point. I too, also volunteer A TON of my time to junior golf in this area ironically. I can attest you do get the same gratification from that. 

Let me play devils advocate if you will, suppose there are not enough officials to cover all of the games on a Friday night, and we do have to run 4 man crews at some sites. How do you think folks would react to seeing who got 4 vs 5? The idea of "rotating" schools that got 4 instead of 5 one week would not work. I can tell you where the 5's will be assigned more than likely. Or would you rather play your game at 10 am on a Saturday to have 5? Or should we just do away with officiating as a whole and let coaches do it? As you can see the simplest answer is to add more officials to your pool, because if you do not, it opens a whole pandora's box of possibilities.

3 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Mad props to you and your experience. It doesn't hurt to be "centrally" located in this region in regards to travel, however, I totally understand your point. I too, also volunteer A TON of my time to junior golf in this area ironically. I can attest you do get the same gratification from that. 

Let me play devils advocate if you will, suppose there are not enough officials to cover all of the games on a Friday night, and we do have to run 4 man crews at some sites. How do you think folks would react to seeing who got 4 vs 5? The idea of "rotating" schools that got 4 instead of 5 one week would not work. I can tell you where the 5's will be assigned more than likely. Or would you rather play your game at 10 am on a Saturday to have 5? Or should we just do away with officiating as a whole and let coaches do it? As you can see the simplest answer is to add more officials to your pool, because if you do not, it opens a whole pandora's box of possibilities.

High School football is intended to be played on Friday nights. The saying isn't "Saturday Afternoon Lights" for a reason. It's just not the same. Hopefully, something can be resolved so Saturday games are reserved for late November and December. I would suspect, should 4-man crews be needed, Class 3 would be given priority over Class 2 and Class 2 would be given priority over Class 1. I don't know that for sure, just an assumption. There really isn't a good way to do it. Football is tough enough to officiate with a 5-man crew.

I struggle to understand why VHSL can't help in several different areas. Several times over the past few seasons, officials have found themselves in physical altercations (looking at you Ridgeview). Official safety should be first and foremost in every community, regardless of rooting interest. I have had multiple conversations with people who have gotten out of officiating solely based on personal safety. Hell, I had a kid flash a gun from his waistband a decade ago. Not only did law enforcement not do anything, the kid was competing in Cross Country the following day. Making an example out of a handful of jackasses would go a long way to helping officials feel safe coming into an already hostile environment. It would also likely keep most people from getting out of hand toward officials as well, if they knew consequences were severe and very real.

Additionally, sending a crew from Chilhowie to Grayson County while sending a crew from Grayson/Carroll/Galax to Abingdon makes absolutely NO sense, whatsoever! It only furthers frustration within the officiating community to have crews passing each other on the interstate headed exactly where the other is coming from. That's been a problem for a long time. Better leadership would be a good place to begin. And I say that having been a student in the high school where the former AOA director was principal.

VH$L could also help offset some of the expense to help bring AOA pay up to meet other areas of the state. It's not like VH$L can't afford it. They just won't let go of the $tacks of ca$h they have to help better a $hitty $ituation. 

I have heard a rumor for a few years now, a couple of MED schools would prefer to move over to the ROA. Now that Giles is in the MED with Auburn, that may be getting closer to reality. That may help the AOA in the long run. Less games for them to have to cover any given week.

55 minutes ago, sixcat said:

High School football is intended to be played on Friday nights. The saying isn't "Saturday Afternoon Lights" for a reason. It's just not the same. Hopefully, something can be resolved so Saturday games are reserved for late November and December. I would suspect, should 4-man crews be needed, Class 3 would be given priority over Class 2 and Class 2 would be given priority over Class 1. I don't know that for sure, just an assumption. There really isn't a good way to do it. Football is tough enough to officiate with a 5-man crew.

I struggle to understand why VHSL can't help in several different areas. Several times over the past few seasons, officials have found themselves in physical altercations (looking at you Ridgeview). Official safety should be first and foremost in every community, regardless of rooting interest. I have had multiple conversations with people who have gotten out of officiating solely based on personal safety. Hell, I had a kid flash a gun from his waistband a decade ago. Not only did law enforcement not do anything, the kid was competing in Cross Country the following day. Making an example out of a handful of jackasses would go a long way to helping officials feel safe coming into an already hostile environment. It would also likely keep most people from getting out of hand toward officials as well, if they knew consequences were severe and very real.

Additionally, sending a crew from Chilhowie to Grayson County while sending a crew from Grayson/Carroll/Galax to Abingdon makes absolutely NO sense, whatsoever! It only furthers frustration within the officiating community to have crews passing each other on the interstate headed exactly where the other is coming from. That's been a problem for a long time. Better leadership would be a good place to begin. And I say that having been a student in the high school where the former AOA director was principal.

VH$L could also help offset some of the expense to help bring AOA pay up to meet other areas of the state. It's not like VH$L can't afford it. They just won't let go of the $tacks of ca$h they have to help better a $hitty $ituation. 

I have heard a rumor for a few years now, a couple of MED schools would prefer to move over to the ROA. Now that Giles is in the MED with Auburn, that may be getting closer to reality. That may help the AOA in the long run. Less games for them to have to cover any given week.

4 man crews will probably increase the speed of the move to the ROA.  I think the AFOA missed a prime opportunity to get some help this past spring by not reaching across state lines for help.  TN has  a small surplus right now.  You can keep the clock on the field for more money than you make on the field in the AFOA, but most who do this want the field time.  Since both most likely use Arbitor people could have signed up for both and had fair game on who they took assignments from.   Ive stopped officiating due to my kids being involved on game days.  They grow so fast Im going to be there for as much as possible.  Will I return in a few years?  I dont know.  I went part time the last year I was there and not working with your "crew" as I had for so long kind of spoils you.  Even if that crew is hated by many, previous commissioners always knew a game was in good hands.  I done as much as I could to spread the word when I was in it trying to get young people involved.  Now many of them have moved on as well.  Its going to be interesting to see what happens.

I know this is killing you guys so here it is:

Riverheads

08-27    H    Waynesboro
09-03    H    Parry McCluer
09-10    A    Lord Botetourt
09-17    A    Stuarts Draft
09-24    A    Tazewell
10-08    A    Buffalo Gap
10-15    A    Wilson Memorial
10-22    H    Fort Defiance
10-29    H    Staunton
11-05    H    Stuarts Draft

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I know this is killing you guys so here it is:

Riverheads

08-27    H    Waynesboro
09-03    H    Parry McCluer
09-10    A    Lord Botetourt
09-17    A    Stuarts Draft
09-24    A    Tazewell
10-08    A    Buffalo Gap
10-15    A    Wilson Memorial
10-22    H    Fort Defiance
10-29    H    Staunton
11-05    H    Stuarts Draft

The Red Team is Playing their Rival two times and enter LB.  They will be more than prepared enough come playoff time.  Just like Galax in Region C.  Those schedules have both of them way prepared compared to many other 1A schools across the state.

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Master schedule as it now stands is on the VHSL page.

I didn't know they also show bluefield schedule as well. I'm guess because of virginia schools they play. They are list under class 2 out of state.

12 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

I didn't know they also show bluefield schedule as well. I'm guess because of virginia schools they play. They are list under class 2 out of state.

Yes but there is a mistake. Bluefield is away vs Oak Hill, Graham Marion game is 11-4 not 11-5.

50 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

I'm glad they do that. Even if bluefield is in wv I do consider them part of area. I'm hope tazewell keeps them on the schedule. 

I think it is so people can figure bonus points when calculating ratings.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:24 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

Yes but there is a mistake. Bluefield is away vs Oak Hill, Graham Marion game is 11-4 not 11-5.

Another mistake is Tazewell hosting Riverheads on 9/24 @1pm . It will be Saturday 9/ 25 @ 1pm

On 7/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands preseason is:

8/6: Blue Tornado Festival

8/13: scrimmage against Central & Belfry, KY

8/19: benefit vs. Grundy

What’s Blue Tornado Festival? Is that similar to 7 on 7? Just never heard of it before. 

12 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

What’s Blue Tornado Festival? Is that similar to 7 on 7? Just never heard of it before. 

It’s brand new. It’s like a little festival on the field. Fans pay $10 and get a BBQ dinner. There will be live music — games, food, vendors, new merch, etc. And the team will be there, too. It’s more of a community event than a sporting event.