Union vs Gate City

UNION#ATW

Best of luck to Union and everybody making the trip to Gate City today!!

In the past years they always play Union tough it's at their house this year I'm expecting them to be better than they was against John Battle...

GO BEARS!!!

26-6 final Union wins.

Union was able to run whenever they wanted, GC got inside the Union 40 five or six times but could only manage six points. A couple big grounding penalties crippled GC drives. It was 4th and almost 40 at one point. 

but seems like Union is gonna try Bunch at QB, he took all the snaps I saw and I watched entire second half   

Union has skill players everywhere, but young on the OL, and it showed at times. 

D was good against the run, but too much cushion on the pass. That gave GC multiple opportunities, but weren't able to exploit consistently.

I think if I were GC, I'd put Jenkins in at QB and see where his athletic ability takes me.

Got to watch it on a rainy afternoon here in Florida. The resolution and camera work was awful, but better than not being able to watch at all. I liked the GC QB, but he really needs to play a little smarter when trying to escape pressure. I'm guessing between the sacks and grounding penalties, he might have lost 80 yards. Maxpreps has the Lomax kid listed at 209. Is he really that big? Maxpreps rosters can be notoriously inaccurate sometimes.  

39 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Maxpreps has the Lomax kid listed at 209. Is he really that big? Maxpreps rosters can be notoriously inaccurate sometimes.  

That is what his Hudl lists him at as well. Not sure of his exact weight, but he is a stout young man!

42 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Got to watch it on a rainy afternoon here in Florida. The resolution and camera work was awful, but better than not being able to watch at all. I liked the GC QB, but he really needs to play a little smarter when trying to escape pressure. I'm guessing between the sacks and grounding penalties, he might have lost 80 yards. Maxpreps has the Lomax kid listed at 209. Is he really that big? Maxpreps rosters can be notoriously inaccurate sometimes.  

On the two groundings he probably lost 40 yards. It's okay to throw it away out of the pocket but it's gotta get passed LOS and both times he was short.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

On the two groundings he probably lost 40 yards. It's okay to throw it away out of the pocket but it's gotta get passed LOS and both times he was short.

It has to be in the area of a receiver.  Doesn't matter  if its behind the LOS or beyond.

Union is starting to get their football legs under them, you have to remember that some of these players have had very few practices and are at least 12-14 practices behind the other teams , Lt

are they the best in the Mnt. 7 ? No not right now but come a few more days they very well may be, Central should be but Abingdon opened my eyes, don’t count out Ridgeview either , everyone’s talking about this or that , Union will have a say in who advances

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

So the HS rule is diff from the other levels? 

Yeah high school rule is crazy on intentional grounding. You literally can't throw ball away it has to be near a receiver no matter what.

18 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah high school rule is crazy on intentional grounding. You literally can't throw ball away it has to be near a receiver no matter what.

I've never understood the HS rules that make it harder on the kids. I could see making it harder as you move up levels but having the most restrictive penalty at the lowest level makes little sense to me.

17 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Union is starting to get their football legs under them, you have to remember that some of these players have had very few practices and are at least 12-14 practices behind the other teams , Lt

are they the best in the Mnt. 7 ? No not right now but come a few more days they very well may be, Central should be but Abingdon opened my eyes, don’t count out Ridgeview either , everyone’s talking about this or that , Union will have a say in who advances

Imo Union is the 3 or 4 team in the district but definitely a tough out and could very well be a playoff team 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I've never understood the HS rules that make it harder on the kids. I could see making it harder as you move up levels but having the most restrictive penalty at the lowest level makes little sense to me.

I didn't know about that rule until we went to Letcher and they called it on us and I was raising hell but the refs were right THAT time.  I guess if your a QB and can't find a receiver you're suppose to stand there and let a blitzing LB knock the hell out of you

57 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I didn't know about that rule until we went to Letcher and they called it on us and I was raising hell but the refs were right THAT time.  I guess if your a QB and can't find a receiver you're suppose to stand there and let a blitzing LB knock the hell out of you

Guess so. It's crazy to think the NFL and CFB have more rules protecting and allowing the QB to not get smashed than HS. I think the NFL rule works perfect, it allows QBs to get rid of the ball and not get crushed but still penalizes the QB if he doesn't move out of the pocket or get near eligible receiver.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Guess so. It's crazy to think the NFL and CFB have more rules protecting and allowing the QB to not get smashed than HS. I think the NFL rule works perfect, it allows QBs to get rid of the ball and not get crushed but still penalizes the QB if he doesn't move out of the pocket or get near eligible receiver.

Or......why punish the defense for out executing or scheming the offense by allowing the offense to just throw it away instead of the defense creating the negative yardage play they earned?

On 3/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, redtiger said:

Imo Union is the 3 or 4 team in the district but definitely a tough out and could very well be a playoff team 

I agree with you on Union being 3rd or 4th best in the district but not because they're bad it's because they're so young.  I believe they only have 3 seniors starting.  JV team has a couple good kids coming up too the QB and #23 are gonna be Damn good ballplayers

46 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Or......why punish the defense for out executing or scheming the offense by allowing the offense to just throw it away instead of the defense creating the negative yardage play they earned?

Hows that punishing a defense? You didn't sack the QB and you couldn't keep the QB in the pocket. If you allow the QB to escape the pocket and he throws it away, you didn't out-execute the offense. The defense didn't earn those yards. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Hows that punishing a defense? You didn't sack the QB and you couldn't keep the QB in the pocket. If you allow the QB to escape the pocket and he throws it away, you didn't out-execute the offense. The defense didn't earn those yards. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Defense isn't getting punished QB is throwing ball away so they're losing the down

5 hours ago, Footballfan012 said:

Did GC have any standout players?

Luke Reed is a good athlete. He had several impressive plays, but the GC player that stood out the most in this game and the previous 2 was Carson Jenkins. He is very comparable to Caleb Herron from the 2014 team.

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I agree with you on Union being 3rd or 4th best in the district but not because they're bad it's because they're so young.  I believe they only have 3 seniors starting.  JV team has a couple good kids coming up too the QB and #23 are gonna be Damn good ballplayers

Agreed, very talented just a year away.  Still, they will have astrong D and a tough running game. The talent is there, the maturity just isnt there for them to be M7 champs.