Backyard brawl! Tazewell Vs. Richlands

bulldog05-CO2017

21 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

No disrespect to either team. If Tazewell is going to beat them, this is the year to do it.

I agree, Richlands is looking sloppy compared to the last couple of years, along with new coaching. Best of luck to both teams, but after seeing Richlands gameplay against the cats it seems it’s gonna be an interesting game. 

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Tazewell must eliminate the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties. They gave Marion more yds in penalties than they allowed on offense. Rivalry like this only amplifies that factor. 

75 yards in penalties.

12 yards of total offense for Marion.

3 of the penalties were procedure penalties.  1 offsides, 1 illegal shift, 1 “5 men on the line”.  4 of the penalties were personal fouls, just of the “overaggressive” variety.  I’d rather see a team have to tweak the intensity down instead of the other direction.  Attention to detail will likely be a key issue this week.

I’m going with the Blues in this one and the saying is to be the man you’ve gotta beat the man. Richlands has owned Tazewell and even a good season or 2 for the dawgs won’t change the outcome in this rivalry. 

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Can Tazwell get over the psychological hump? Seems like Blues in their head.

If this aint the truth I don't know what is. 

1 hour ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Tazewell needs to come out rolling and not come out flat like they did yesterday!

That's honestly what I was thinking. You cant come out slow and expect a good outcome especially with a team like the blues. 

Team Stats Per BHC

Richlands Vs Va High                                Tazewell Vs Marion

1st Downs

R-19,  VHS-5                                               M-5,  Ta-13

Rushes-Yds 

R-37-156,  VHS 19-31                                 M-26-1,  Ta-43-315

Passing-Yds

R-172,  VHS 16                                            M-28,  Ta-125

Comp/Att/Int

R-19-33-2,  VHS 7-25-3                               M-8-26-0,  Ta-12-15-0

Fumbles-Lost

R-2-0,  VHS-0-0                                            M-3-0,  Ta-5-3

Penalties-Yards

R-10-80,  VHS- 6-45                                     M-3-25,  Ta-9-90

Punts/Average

R-1-34, VHS 9-21.6                                      M-8-25, Ta-1-59

Only stat that matters right now is that Tazewell is 0 for forever against Richlands and they haven't scored one single point since 2015.  Until they beat Richlands, stats mean absolutely nothing.  If they want to prove that they are a playoff contender, it has to start Saturday or they may not even get a shot at the playoffs.

I'll be pulling for the Dogs.  But beating Richlands is still a tall task and getting over that hump will not be easy, it will be very difficult.  Do I think they can do it this year?  Yes, absolutely.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Only stat that matters right now is that Tazewell is 0 for forever against Richlands and they haven't scored one single point since 2015.  Until they beat Richlands, stats mean absolutely nothing.  If they want to prove that they are a playoff contender, it has to start Saturday or they may not even get a shot at the playoffs.

I'll be pulling for the Dogs.  But beating Richlands is still a tall task and getting over that hump will not be easy, it will be very difficult.  Do I think they can do it this year?  Yes, absolutely.

I’ve gone through every statistical scenario.  Presuming that GHS, THS, and RHS each goes 3-0 against the other SWD teams (a fairly safe assumption), if Richlands loses, they are all but eliminated [save one doomsday scenario that’s detailed below].  Tazewell is mathematically alive with a loss but would need to beat Graham AND have Richlands beat Graham in the regular season finale.  

Then again, I’m far from a math major, so I apologize for any errors in calculation.  Nevertheless, the stakes have seldom been higher between these two.  

Edited to incorporate the doomsday scenario.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve gone through every statistical scenario.  Presuming that GHS, THS, and RHS each goes 3-0 against the other SWD teams (a fairly safe assumption), Richlands is eliminated with a loss.  Tazewell is mathematically alive with a loss but would need to beat Graham AND have Richlands beat Graham in the regular season finale.  

Then again, I’m far from a math major, so I apologize for any errors in calculation.  Nevertheless, the stakes have seldom been higher between these two.  

Is Richlands eliminated if Tazewell beats both Richlands and Graham and Richlands beats Graham to end the season? You'd have RHS and GHS at 4-2, but with Richlands being (4-1 SWD and Graham being 3-2), and their +1 game being each other. So how does that work lol.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Is Richlands eliminated if Tazewell beats both Richlands and Graham and Richlands beats Graham to end the season? You'd have RHS and GHS at 4-2, but with Richlands being (4-1 SWD and Graham being 3-2), and their +1 game being each other. So how does that work lol.

You’ve just hit the doomsday situation, LOL.

Tazewell would be 5-1 and the SWD’s #1.

Richlands and Graham would both be 4-2.  Both would have losses against a 5-1 team and a 4-2 team.  The Power Points would therefore be dead even.  Each team went 1-1 against the other.  How does the Region break that tie?  District standings would seem the most logical (which would then favor Richlands), but I have no clue how the Region voted on that.  It’s mathematically possible that Richlands could still advance but that’s the one and only scenario I’m fairly sure.

I’ll edit my post above to reflect that.  Good eye.