Backyard brawl! Tazewell Vs. Richlands

bulldog05-CO2017

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

You’ve just hit the doomsday situation, LOL.

Tazewell would be 5-1 and the SWD’s #1.

Richlands and Graham would both be 4-2.  Both would have losses against a 5-1 team and a 4-2 team.  The Power Points would therefore be dead even.  Each team went 1-1 against the other.  How does the Region break that tie?  District standings would seem the most logical (which would then favor Richlands), but I have no clue how the Region voted on that.  It’s mathematically possible that Richlands could still advance but that’s the one and only scenario I’m fairly sure.

I’ll edit my post above to reflect that.  Good eye.

If it didn't involve Richlands losing to Tazewell for the first time since before I hit puberty, I'd almost root for this exact scenario just to see the chaos it would bring haha.

giphy.gif

If Abingdon and the out of district games(including Graham/Richlands I) really don't count, and the Battle/Central/Ridgeview games are forfeits, we could always end up with something like this, in no particular order...

1.) Central-Wise 4-1 96 19.2
2.) Ridgeview 4-1 96 19.2
3.) Union 4-1 96 19.2
4.) Graham 4-1 96 19.2
5.) Richlands 4-1 96 19.2
6.) Tazewell 4-1 96 19.2

28 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

If Abingdon and the out of district games(including Graham/Richlands I) really don't count, and the Battle/Central/Ridgeview games are forfeits, we could always end up with something like this, in no particular order...

1.) Central-Wise 4-1 96 19.2
2.) Ridgeview 4-1 96 19.2
3.) Union 4-1 96 19.2
4.) Graham 4-1 96 19.2
5.) Richlands 4-1 96 19.2
6.) Tazewell 4-1 96 19.2

They do count.  I’m about 98% certain of it.  But I for one would take macabre pleasure out of this scenario.

13 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Ridgeview already has 2 losses, if the Battle cancelation counts as a L and is calculated but still, a 5 way tie at 4-1 is a nightmare lol 

I can't say that I blame Battle for not wanting to make up the games, but I do believe they should display good sportsmanship and forfeit since the outcome of the games would 90% likely result in a win for both Ridgeview and Central. If the outcomes could reasonably be disputed then a different conversation can be had.

Completely agree. Both would be huge upsets, and the blame for the situation falls in Battles lap but it is what it is.  I just hope it doesn't screw over the M7 - if the SWD splits they will have Three teams at 4-1 and the M7 could have whatever, the SWD will get all 3 in and the M7 will end up with only 1... because they didn't do what is imo obviously the right thing

On 3/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, UVAObserver said:

75 yards in penalties.

12 yards of total offense for Marion.

3 of the penalties were procedure penalties.  1 offsides, 1 illegal shift, 1 “5 men on the line”.  4 of the penalties were personal fouls, just of the “overaggressive” variety.  I’d rather see a team have to tweak the intensity down instead of the other direction.  Attention to detail will likely be a key issue this week.

That's actually an insane stat!! Tazewell will definitely have to keep those personal fouls down. Those little mistakes will decide who wins.

43 minutes ago, -oo- said:

That's actually an insane stat!! Tazewell will definitely have to keep those personal fouls down. Those little mistakes will decide who wins.

Went back and watched the film, and didn’t include 1 offsetting unsportsmanlike when I made that post, so it was actually 8-75.  Agreed though, a repeat of that may be what separates a win from a loss.  Strange to see when the Riverheads game, which was far more physical, was so clean.

In the past I would say that Richlands has a MAJOR coaching advantage over Tazewell when Mance was at the helm. Thad Wells is also a hell of a coach so I think the coaching advantage still goes to Richlands but not as much as before IMO. Mance always did a good job of taking away what you do best and making you beat them with your second option. They were not able to do that against Graham and Bradshaw. I do not believe Tazewell has anyone as talented as Bradshaw but they do have more threats. 1,2,3, and 4 are all really good football players and it is hard to key in on just one. Tazewell was all over the place as far as lining up defensively against Marion who runs normal spread sets. Richland's base offense is tackle over with a lot of motion and crazy formations. IF Richlands can take advantage of an Tazewell not lining up right I could be a long night for the dawgs. This is a toss up game I believe Tazewell is the more talented team but it will all boil down to if their athleticism can make up for their undisciplined play.   

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

In the past I would say that Richlands has a MAJOR coaching advantage over Tazewell when Mance was at the helm. Thad Wells is also a hell of a coach so I think the coaching advantage still goes to Richlands but not as much as before IMO. Mance always did a good job of taking away what you do best and making you beat them with your second option. They were not able to do that against Graham and Bradshaw. I do not believe Tazewell has anyone as talented as Bradshaw but they do have more threats. 1,2,3, and 4 are all really good football players and it is hard to key in on just one. Tazewell was all over the place as far as lining up defensively against Marion who runs normal spread sets. Richland's base offense is tackle over with a lot of motion and crazy formations. IF Richlands can take advantage of an Tazewell not lining up right I could be a long night for the dawgs. This is a toss up game I believe Tazewell is the more talented team but it will all boil down to if their athleticism can make up for their undisciplined play.   

I agree.  This one could go either way.  Tazewell has a legitimate chance to win this game.  They have to be smart and win the line of scrimmage, can't give the qb time to throw 

All of the county players and coaches know who can do what, and I’d like to see a match up based on athleticism and strategy, not kicks in the face. Richlands for the win.    

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

What is this gibberish? Make sense.

To better clarify because I agree, I could have been more clear. The participants on both the Tazewell and Richlands teams, and even Graham, know each other fairly well. It’s a small area and many of them run in the same social circles and have competed for years both against each other and sometimes with each other. They are very  aware of the other’s strengths and weaknesses athletically. I would love to see them come out and see who can play the better football game. I know emotions and adrenaline run high, and all teams have their bad moments, but I was disappointed to see some of Tazewell’s behavior in the last game. They were a lot better skill-wise than Marion, but speaking only my opinion, they are better people than what they demonstrated on the field. If you’ve watched the game, then you will know what I’m talking about.

5 hours ago, goSWVA said:

To better clarify because I agree, I could have been more clear. The participants on both the Tazewell and Richlands teams, and even Graham, know each other fairly well. It’s a small area and many of them run in the same social circles and have competed for years both against each other and sometimes with each other. They are very  aware of the other’s strengths and weaknesses athletically. I would love to see them come out and see who can play the better football game. I know emotions and adrenaline run high, and all teams have their bad moments, but I was disappointed to see some of Tazewell’s behavior in the last game. They were a lot better skill-wise than Marion, but speaking only my opinion, they are better people than what they demonstrated on the field. If you’ve watched the game, then you will know what I’m talking about.

I saw one incident in particular that both surprised me who did it and that he was allowed to stay in the game. Apparently the ref didn't see it either.

13 hours ago, goSWVA said:

Okay I gotcha, the made much more sense. I got the gist of your point inn the original post but wasn't exactly sure what point you were trying to make.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Given Tazewell's athletic ability, their size, and their age they should win the SWD. This is their year if they are going to do anything.

Tazewell 26

Richlands 21

*my gut tells me I should be picking Richlands😂

I'm anxious to see how they do.  I'll be pulling for the Dogs.