Backyard brawl! Tazewell Vs. Richlands

bulldog05-CO2017

From Radford, VA, congrats to the Tazewell Bulldogs getting over that hump and putting that talent to use.  The Bulldogs need to be good.  It's been a long time since the Bulldogs were a regular contender and it's overdue.  All the best to Tazewell fans, players, and staff.  The Bulldogs are a threat in the post season to win Region D.  My perception of the Bulldogs may be off, but reading on the boards how athletic they are is often the first discussion.  They are athletic, but the bigs up front allow those athletes late in the season or in a stalemate type game to put the pedal down, and run the ball.  You pass to score.  You run to win.  Tazewell in the fourth was down 12-10 or down by a point or two where a field goal for them would take the lead.  They started at their own 30, and ran the ball 8 or say straight plays against a very physical Richlands front 7 and Tazewell got the go ahead field goal (should have probably scored a TD).  When you have athletes with the bigs up front that are not just big, but those guys come off the ball (ask Riverheads).  Credit Riverheads for that W over Tazewell, but if Tazewell doesn't do the turnovers and penalties, Riverheads would have actually lost that game on their home field.   All the best for the Bulldogs.  I remember the days of Dave Ryder and Nick Colobro and guys like Reed, Davis, Lamie, Viney, Stinton, Holloway, and maybe the most vicious defensive hitter come out of SWVA, Steve Mitchem (RIP).  The SWD is back like old times and much fun. 

No question, the deepest region by far is Region D with probably what is 6 of the top 10 best AA teams in Virginia.  You guys have some solid pigskin up that way.  I still favor Graham, but teams like Tazewell, Central, Ridgeview are a threat, and the one I still see that doesn't seem to ever take a year off is Union.  I thought the Bear were supposed to be down?  They aren't anything close to down.  They may win the region.  Going to be fun up that way for the rest of the way.  

7 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I thought the Bear were supposed to be down?  They aren't anything close to down.  They may win the region.  Going to be fun up that way for the rest of the way.  

Definitely down in terms of seniors. Hard to nail down a starting lineup as they have switched things up so much the first 3 games, but they have only started 3 seniors on offense and 3 on defense consistently.

Three sophomores on OL, 2 in backfield (in T formation), several on D. Even a few freshmen seeing some playing time.

Very talented team, but young. We'll find out Friday how far that talent will take them this year.

Great game! One of the best I’ve watched in a while! No offense to anyone or anything, but when I seen Richlands first drive, I knew it wasn’t gonna be good for them. I knew then all you had to do was get Cox out of the pocket and that was it. Also they had Webb locked in, correct me if I’m wrong but I think they held Webb to under a 100 yards total. I may be wrong. But they went to Richlands knowing what they had to do and they done it. Good luck to both teams for a same and healthy remainder of the season!

10 hours ago, Gfan said:

Would Richlands get in with a win over Graham and a Graham win over Tazewell? Seems like they would have more PowerPoints than Tazewell in this scenario with the Riverheads being division 1. Please correct me if wrong, just trying to do the math in my head.

If it goes by regular rules (pre-Covid) then Tazewell gets C2 points for playing Riverheads. 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, Bluefield researcher said:

Four field goals in a hig school game is one heck of an accomplishment. Especially for a sophomore. It surely has happened before But I can't ever recall it in any game that I have researched. VHSL record book says the record for VA is 5 set by several players.

When’s the last time you remember there being 6 total field goals in a game? 

19 hours ago, Gfan said:

Would Richlands get in with a win over Graham and a Graham win over Tazewell? Seems like they would have more PowerPoints than Tazewell in this scenario with the Riverheads being division 1. Please correct me if wrong, just trying to do the math in my head.

No.  Presuming nothing weird happens, in that scenario...

(1) Graham

(2) Tazewell

(3) Richlands

Riverheads gives 2A Power Points in that scenario, and Riverheads is almost mortally certain to finish 6-0.  Tazewell would outpoint Richlands by 2 total. (Tazewell’s losses to 6-0 and 5-1, Richlands’s losses to 5-1 and 4-2).

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Will this Tazewell victory most likely knock Richlands out of the playoffs?

Absent a massive upset (like Lebanon over Tazewell or something), there is 1 scenario that may get Richlands in still yet.

(1) Tazewell beats Graham

(2) Richlands beats Graham.

Tazewell would be the SWD’s #1 at 5-1.  Richlands and Graham, each at 4-2, would be dead even in Power Points (losses each to 5-1 and 4-2).  I’m not sure how the SWD or Region D breaks that tie.  The reasonable solution would be to revert to SWD standings, which would favor Richlands (4-1) over Graham (3-2).  But that’s something I’d have to get clarification on.

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Will this Tazewell victory most likely knock Richlands out of the playoffs?

See my other post in the ratings thread. 

TLDR, first game didn’t count for points. Any ties at the end with both SWD and M7 teams will be broken by a hat draw. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

See my other post in the ratings thread. 

TLDR, first game didn’t count for points. Any ties at the end with both SWD and M7 teams will be broken by a hat draw. 

I'm sorry but that is an absolute terrible way to decide.  Go off the points as they always have done.

Congrats to Tazewell for the win.  Hope they go far into the playoffs.  Those young men deserve some good things to happen.  Most of those players have taken a beating over the last few years, and many started as freshmen.  It pleases this old Richlands "Blues" fan to see these young men have success, just hate it came by beating the Blues.  I had previously stated that I though the score would be 21 - 20 with the Blues winning, so I was close on the score, just picked the wrong winner.  Hat's off the the Bulldawgs, if ever a team deserves this win, it's this team.

I know this is a little late but I wanted to congratulate the Bulldogs also !  I played for the blues and love the blues,  but my daughter was a cheerleader for the dogs in the early 2000's so I do pull for the dogs ..........except for when they play my blues,  but they won a well deserved victory and wish them the best the rest of the season !

On 3/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, UVAObserver said:

Riverheads is almost mortally certain to finish 6-0. 2).

Riverheads last game of season is at Stuarts Draft who played for state title last year and returned 19 out of 22 starters..  Calpreps projects it at 27-26. 

3 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

Riverheads last game of season is at Stuarts Draft who played for state title last year and returned 19 out of 22 starters..  Calpreps projects it at 27-26. 

The same Stuarts Draft team Riverheads pasted by 35 last year?  I’d still lean Riverheads, though it will be closer.

Tells me Tazewell is not just very good, but may beat Graham. They are that good. Draft played Appo about as good as Graham did last year and was pasted by Riverheads in regular season. Riverheads is supposed to be slightly better this year with Draft being much better. For Tazewell to travel there at the Reds and almost winning the game, it speaks to Tazewell not just being back to 80s form. It tells me Graham and Tazewell is a tossup, slight favor to Graham though.