Graham @ Marion

Graham32

27 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

fair enough but why not get in victory formation at the end of the game?

Argument could be made either way but at any moment it could be the next man up and every play is experience for them.

5 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Argument could be made either way but at any moment it could be the next man up and every play is experience for them.

The back ups played the whole 4th quarter. With a running clock under a minute just take a knee but a run play is better than throwing a bomb to the Jordan kid with 2 minutes left like what happened last year. 

33 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

The back ups played the whole 4th quarter. With a running clock under a minute just take a knee but a run play is better than throwing a bomb to the Jordan kid with 2 minutes left like what happened last year. 

If Marion had the ball with under 1 minute in the same game would they have taken a knee? Or ran a play or two to get experience??

12 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

If Marion had the ball with under 1 minute in the same game would they have taken a knee? Or ran a play or two to get experience??

Up by 40??? you take a knee. Graham and Richlands kneel out the clock in that same situation every time

27 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Up by 40??? you take a knee. Graham and Richlands kneel out the clock in that same situation every time

I'll argue that point.  I can think of several time Graham in particular has not done that.

6 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I'll argue that point.  I can think of several time Graham in particular has not done that.

Maybe that is why Harris feels the need to run it up who knows. I was always coached up to win with class...

6 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Maybe that is why Harris feels the need to run it up who knows. I was always coached up to win with class...

Over the past many years there has been several instances of teams showing the same disrespect to Tazewell when they were down.  I can only think of a few teams that didn't over the past 10 yrs.  Even if you weren't on that team you come up through remembering what was shown to you and as they say revenge is a dish best served cold.

With all that said I don't like to see a score run up for no reason and when it comes to the 2nd team scoring then it's almost bittersweet.  Glad to see them do well but just puts more salt in the wound as well.

Bottom line is win with class and lose with class and that goes for every team in the area.  I've seen my share of bad winners and losers over the past 20+ yrs watching high school football.

41 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Over the past many years there has been several instances of teams showing the same disrespect to Tazewell when they were down.  I can only think of a few teams that didn't over the past 10 yrs.  Even if you weren't on that team you come up through remembering what was shown to you and as they say revenge is a dish best served cold.

With all that said I don't like to see a score run up for no reason and when it comes to the 2nd team scoring then it's almost bittersweet.  Glad to see them do well but just puts more salt in the wound as well.

Bottom line is win with class and lose with class and that goes for every team in the area.  I've seen my share of bad winners and losers over the past 20+ yrs watching high school football.

You are right I have seen plenty of games get out of hand and some teams let off the gas and other push it to the floor. In Tazewells case they dont have a JV and havnt for a few years now mostly because this group of seniors have been playing varsity since their freshman year and in the back end of a blowout is the only way to get reps I get that. If they only have 8 lineman and 4 are gone after this season I would tread lightly for sure. 

If the 2's score running the football that is fine you have to stop that if you are the other team I get that but IMO (obliviously it not a very popular one but whatever) If you got the ball at the end of the game and you can go into victory formation then do it.

I’ve always said to keep the hammer down if you got your two and threes in. Now in 2015 and 2016 Appomattox’s twos would run lots of teams off the field. In that case have your threes in but OPERATE YOUR offense. 
You are always an injury away from needing a backup in the playoffs that needs that experience throwing the ball or running that route. 
You can win BIG and still be respectful. 

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because it has happened to your team before doesn't give you the right to do it someone else, especially a school that has bent over backwards at times over the last decade not to pour salt on the wounds late in the game when Tazewell was down. I understand that the Dawgs don't have the depth to put in a lot of backups, but when the other team that you're already handling doesn't have a starter on the field, maybe you shouldn't be pushing it as hard while you're still playing your starters. Couple that with the extra curriculars during the game, and it's not a good look for Tazewell.

15 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because it has happened to your team before doesn't give you the right to do it someone else, especially a school that has bent over backwards at times over the last decade not to pour salt on the wounds late in the game when Tazewell was down. I understand that the Dawgs don't have the depth to put in a lot of backups, but when the other team that you're already handling doesn't have a starter on the field, maybe you shouldn't be pushing it as hard while you're still playing your starters. Couple that with the extra curriculars during the game, and it's not a good look for Tazewell.

I do agree with the personal fouls and unsportsman like and there is no place for that.  A much harder fought game with Riverheads was much cleaner even the Richlands game last year I was amazed at no flags for that.  With all that said this is a short season so let these players play all they will and enjoy what piece of a season there is.  I've heard plenty of comments from the other side for years and things aren't always forgotten.

40 minutes ago, BoBob said:

I’ve always said to keep the hammer down if you got your two and threes in. Now in 2015 and 2016 Appomattox’s twos would run lots of teams off the field. In that case have your threes in but OPERATE YOUR offense. 
You are always an injury away from needing a backup in the playoffs that needs that experience throwing the ball or running that route. 
You can win BIG and still be respectful. 

Your last sentence is spot on.

Taking the foot off the gas is sometimes a hard thing to do especially when you have been down for so long like Tazewell has. With that said the extra curricular activies that took place during the game and having those linemen in the game going full "try hard" with a couple minutes left doesn't look good. 

It's hard to tell a 9th or 10th grader that's been standing on the sidelines to hold back. Those guys want to prove they are the next best thing. I can see both sides of the coin.

40 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Your last sentence is spot on.

It's hard to tell a 9th or 10th grader that's been standing on the sidelines to hold back. Those guys want to prove they are the next best thing. I can see both sides of the coin.

2017, we lost a starter on the second series of the game. Another went out before halftime , both came out in street clothes for the second half.

We were down at the half and relied on backups to help us battle back to win that game. They needed the experience they gained running our offense in the regular season blow outs. 

Im fine with kicking field goals when your up. Special teams can win you big games. They need as many reps as they can get. 

15 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I've bitched about the late score before when Richlands would against Tazewell, really was just to stir the pot, but why would send you J.V. players out there and tell them not to try to score?

Of course you don’t tell you JV try not to score no body said that. But when you  are up +35 with a running clock and less than a minute on the clock out your starters back in let them get in victory formation and take a knee

41 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Of course you don’t tell you JV try not to score no body said that. But when you  are up +35 with a running clock and less than a minute on the clock out your starters back in let them get in victory formation and take a knee

I agree, but if you remember four years ago, these same kids were getting taken out behind the woodshed by everyone, it's a little redemption time that's all!

5 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I agree, but if you remember four years ago, these same kids were getting taken out behind the woodshed by everyone, it's a little redemption time that's all!

I guess it's hard to ask someone to act like they've been there before when everyone knows that they haven't.

3 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Redemption time lmao you still don’t run the score up on anyone especially up 35 with less than 2 minutes in the game. 

2 hours ago, Canes00 said:

Redemption time lmao you still don’t run the score up on anyone especially up 35 with less than 2 minutes in the game. 

Time to move on and focus on Graham and see if you see the same level of respect from them.  Good luck stopping their 2nd team as well

9 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Time to move on and focus on Graham and see if you see the same level of respect from them.  Good luck stopping their 2nd team as well

I believe Graham will actually play their second team and leave them in when up 35 or more with little time left in the game and not bring the starters back in to run the score up on basically a JV roster playing varsity

9 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Exactly.  Enough is enough.  Tazewell has what 30 players tops?  They don't have a lot of subs at certain positions. They need to take their their loss, learn from it and move on.  Heard the same B.S. about Tazewell not playing subs a few years back when they only had 21 on the roster (only 15 healthy at one point).  Give me a break.  

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Exactly.  Enough is enough.  Tazewell has what 30 players tops?  They don't have a lot of subs at certain positions. They need to take their their loss, learn from it and move on.  Heard the same B.S. about Tazewell not playing subs a few years back when they only had 21 on the roster (only 15 healthy at one point).  Give me a break.  

Remember that well and we weren't even winning that game

Guys, I'm just calling it like it is, nobody cares that Tazewell kept starters in, we get that they didn't have enough players to sub. People are upset that the starters stayed in AND the coaches continued to try and pad stats and run up the score, after they already had conduct issues while the game was still competitive. If Richlands or Graham ran it up on Tazewell in 2019 or 2017 or 1934 it isn't an excuse. Poor sportsmanship is poor sportsmanship, and I'd be saying the same thing if Marion had done it to the Dawgs. Jeffery Dahmer might have been beaten as a kid, but that didn't give him a pass to eat people as an adult. 

I know that Tazewell's program is better than that. They're not Jeffery Dahmer. They're David Berkowitz at worst 🤣

3 hours ago, Canes00 said:

I believe Graham will actually play their second team and leave them in when up 35 or more with little time left in the game and not bring the starters back in to run the score up on basically a JV roster playing varsity

I don’t expect Tony Palmer to run up the score but at the same time, he cannot in good conscience tell the backups or  JV don’t try to score in my opinion; others might argue the point. Tony is a class act but it’s still competitive football.