Congrats to the Mid Season Champs

GMEN94

27 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Nothing wrong with what I said.  I'll say it again. I said it is pitiful that people would criticize and find fault with a community supporting their team.  I just decided to stop arguing the point. Its not worth it.  Why are you trying to make it sound like I said something bad?  Dont make this personal.  Ive said my peace and Im done with it.  Deleted it, because I don't want to perpetuate this ridiculous banter any longer. If you have something to say to me personally, there is a pm feature on here.  This whole thread needa to go away if you ask me.

See this is this biggest problem on this forum. People can't even playfully critique anything or give their opinion without someone taking it WWAAYYY too personally and getting upset. You're getting all worked up and making this into some huge ordeal because some people think having a parade for winning one regular season game against a rival school is kinda silly or corny. It's a valid opinion! Just as valid as someone who thinks that it's great and the community deserves it. Both opinions equally valid and it doesn't mean you have to take personal offense to it.

EDIT-I feel like I really did try and respect that POV and try and consider it while I posted bc we've never had any issues and generally get along. But it seems like I wasn't afforded the same decorum. 

You made the point about Union, some could consider that silly or corny. That's fine! To some, it probably is and I wouldn't argue that. It's a little different, but somewhat similar in premise so I can absolutely see someone feeling that way. 

I was kidding, I'm not making it seem like a big deal, but in the original edit, you used the word 'pathetic'. That's a pretty strong word to use. 

I don't want to send a PM because words can get twisted and people can misrepresent what is said. I'm not saying you would ever do that, tbh I don't believe you would ever do that, but I think more people should see the point Im making about people being unable to share their thoughts without someone taking it very seriously and getting offended. It's twice today it's happened just to me. 

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

See this is this biggest problem on this forum. People can't even playfully critique anything or give their opinion without someone taking it WWAAYYY too personally and getting upset. You're getting all worked up and making this into some huge ordeal because some people think having a parade for winning one regular season game against a rival school is kinda silly or corny. It's a valid opinion! Just as valid as someone who thinks that it's great and the community deserves it. Both opinions equally valid and it doesn't mean you have to take personal offense to it.

EDIT-I feel like I really did try and respect that POV and try and consider it while I posted bc we've never had any issues and generally get along. But it seems like I wasn't afforded the same decorum. 

You made the point about Union, some could consider that silly or corny. That's fine! To some, it probably is and I wouldn't argue that. It's a little different, but somewhat similar in premise so I can absolutely see someone feeling that way. 

I was kidding, I'm not making it seem like a big deal, but in the original edit, you used the word 'pathetic'. That's a pretty strong word to use. 

I don't want to send a PM because words can get twisted and people can misrepresent what is said. I'm not saying you would ever do that, tbh I don't believe you would ever do that, but I think more people should see the point Im making about people being unable to share their thoughts without someone taking it very seriously and getting offended. It's twice today it's happened just to me. 

Well, thats just "pathetic'.  (just being sarchastic).  I deleted it almost immediately after I said it because I realized it was a little harsh. Didn't mean to offend anybody.  I'm over it. Have a good day, good luck to the Bears.  I thought I said "pitiful", which is a little harsh too.  I just don't think is the time for anybody to be giving anybody else a hard time.  We have all had to endure a lot of anxiety.  I say, celebrate any chance you get.

Good luck to Union going forward. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I agree!! People who get all worked up over simple post. Please act like you have been there before. Happy for the dawgs and glad to see they are doing well. Let’s hope for a great game between the GMEN and the Dawgs. Please people in SWVA, stop taking things so personal!!!! To be the man you gotta beat the man. Come Get Some!!

Interesting to see the “come get some” phrase is making a comeback. One of my greatest memories is leaving Bluefield with a huge “come get some!” Scream after union upset them there in 2019. The look on those Graham fans faces were priceless. I know, I know Graham WAAAY more than paid us back in the playoff game that year. The McDonald’s nonsense that went on there was hilarious. I knew we were in trouble when I walked by some Graham players during warmups and they were singing the McDonald’s jingle, “da-da-da da!.” 

I’m so glad we have something other than Covid and Politics to discuss again. 

That's what its all about . Y'all got the GMEN at home but we have  taken care of business since then. Union has a great football tradition and its all in good fun. Graham fans enjoy the trip to Bullitt Park because of the environment is great. We would like to start having some of the games at home though. Good my luck to the Bear's!!

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Cmon man, you can see how someone on the outside might think it's a little corny or silly. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it and I'm seriously happy for the kids who have worked so hard, but it's not often you see a team having a parade from a regular season game.

It reminds me of the way Wise celebrated when they ended PVs streak in 99 so maybe I'm being biased lol

Actually every teams does it every year. It’s called homecoming!

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Cmon man, you can see how someone on the outside might think it's a little corny or silly. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it and I'm seriously happy for the kids who have worked so hard, but it's not often you see a team having a parade from a regular season game.

It reminds me of the way Wise celebrated when they ended PVs streak in 99 so maybe I'm being biased lol

I lived in Wise and was a sophomore that year, we celebrated but there wasn't a parade down main street. Tazewell beat a team they hadn't in 18 years.  That 99 Kelly team hadn't beat PV for a longer period of time, and ended a 34 game win streak. That kelly team also lost the next week to Clintwood 35 to 6.

Congrats to Tazewell on a great win. It's good to celebrate but don't overlook teams the next week or so or you may get surprised by another team. They play Lebanon next im definitely thinking Tazewell wins easy, but like the 99 Kelly and PV game showed anything can happen.  PV overlooked an improved Kelly team that year and it cost them.   This Lebanon team has some athletes who could hurt Tazewell if they aren't ready to play.  

I was hoping Tazewell would not only win but put a whoopin on Richlands. Trust me I glad they won. Do I think its a bit much to have a "send off" before the game and a parade after the game? Yes I do. Does that make me pathetic and somehow less of a person?🤣 I don't think so. If I'm coach Harris the last thing these kids need is to forget where they came from. 

There are two sides to every coin. For example, you can go to church this morning at any southern Baptist church and I guarantee you they will singing louder than any Graham game. It takes a retired school teacher to get the crowd fired up for a state championship "send off". Their fans are afraid the president of the HOA will find out they spoke above a normal voice. So I can appreciate support for their team.

TRUST ME, I have already talked to several Tazewell fans that agree the second parade was a little silly and a bit much. 

I understand the thought process and I’m sure there are plenty of adults that think it’s silly but ultimately it was to celebrate the kids that accomplished something that hasn’t been done in almost two decades. After all the normalcy that Covid has taken from them I don’t see the problem in letting them be kings for a day. It was a day that most people who think it was silly will soon forget but it was one that those kids will remember for the rest of their lives. 

11 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I understand the thought process and I’m sure there are plenty of adults that think it’s silly but ultimately it was to celebrate the kids that accomplished something that hasn’t been done in almost two decades. After all the normalcy that Covid has taken from them I don’t see the problem in letting them be kings for a day. It was a day that most people who think it was silly will soon forget but it was one that those kids will remember for the rest of their lives. 

I can see that

4 hours ago, EH31 said:

I don't disagree at all, I think I even said it's for the kids and if they enjoy it that's all that matters.

I don't think it's crazy to think it's a little silly or corny, but I also don't think it matters and if the kids enjoyed it good for them. If I was a coach, I'm not sure how much I'd like it, like one guy said gotta make sure you don't think the season is over just beating RHS and don't get too overconfident, but if that's what they wanted to do more power to them.

I was disappointed the Blues didn't win.  In my local newspaper this morning they had a picture of Chancellor Harris running down the field after the win.  Seeing the joy on this young man's face took the sting of the loss away.  17 years they waited, a long time.  How some can fault a town wanting to celebrate a win for these young men, I don't understand.  In the story line, Josh Herndon talked about the middle school coach of these young men, and how the Dawgs went undefeated that year.  That coach was Stevie Mitchem, now deceased.  I knew Stevie well, we went to church together.  On Sunday morning during football season, because of my Richlands football ties, he was always ribbing me about the Blues.  I remember his funeral service and a group of young men in their football jerseys.  This was the young men that won yesterday.  I looked back at Stevie's obituary card and saw the date of his funeral was March 11th. Four years and two days after honoring their middle school coach, their dream came true.  If Stevie had been here, he would have been cheering the loudest for these young men.  

On 3/13/2021 at 7:53 PM, Comegetsum said:

Yea not sure on a parade for winning your 2nd game of season to improve your record to 2 and 1!!!!!

It was more than just a parade for winning a game, this town is getting back to it's roots in community support which it has lacked for many years and has started making it's way back in the past 3 to 4 years. And yeah it was kind of a big deal to beat a team that has owned your ass for 20 to 30 now.

4 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

What's not being talked about is, Why wasn't the Backyard Brawl Trophy on hand to be presented to the winner! Guess they thought it wouldn't change hands so they just left it in the trophy case.

I am assuming that trophy looks cooler than that dragon holding a football right?

On 3/14/2021 at 12:53 AM, BigWinners said:

Compared to the old LPD forum circa 2006, this forum is tame and serene. Haha

20 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That is 1,000,000% true lol. It would get WILD on there at times. I miss the old black and green. 

There was more venom on that site than a caffeinated Copperhead! The angst and bitterness people feel from that site have been taken to many graves in Wise and Dickenson County.