Lebanon 2 2D Southwest 2 1 0 1 1 0 16.33333
John Battle 2 2D Mountain 7 1 1 0 1 1 0 13.50000
Marion 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 0 2 0 13.00000
Ridgeview 2 2D Mountain 7 1 1 0 1 1 0 13.00000
Virginia 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 0 2 0 12.33333
Richlands 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 1 1 0 12.33333
Lee 2 2D Mountain 7 0 3 0 0 3 0 9.00000
Gate City 2 2D Mountain 7 0 4 0 0 4 0 8.75000

Looks to me like same formula as before and nothing changed.  So will each district choose the top two rated teams for them?

12 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Graham 2 2D Southwest 3 0 0 2 0 0 20.66667
Union 2 2D Mountain 7 3 0 0 3 0 0 18.66667
Tazewell 2 2D Southwest 2 1 0 2 0 0 16.33333
Central-Wise 2 2D Mountain 7 2 1 0 2 1 0 16.33333
Lebanon 2 2D Southwest 2 1 0 1 1 0 16.33333
John Battle 2 2D Mountain 7 1 1 0 1 1 0 13.50000
Marion 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 0 2 0 13.00000
Ridgeview 2 2D Mountain 7 1 1 0 1 1 0 13.00000
Virginia 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 0 2 0 12.33333
Richlands 2 2D Southwest 1 2 0 1 1 0 12.33333
Lee 2 2D Mountain 7 0 3 0 0 3 0 9.00000
Gate City 2 2D Mountain 7 0 4 0 0 4 0 8.75000

Looks to me like same formula as before and nothing changed.  So will each district choose the top two rated teams for them?

That’s what I’ve been told was the Region D vote, by sources who should know.

And then you have this quote in the BHC by Luke Owens concerning Central's loss to Abingdon.

“Really that game didn’t count in the power points with the protocols they had this year so we need to rip off three straight wins here,” Owens said. 

If that's the case, it would lend credence to Tazewell being 2-0 and Richlands/Graham I being a scrimmage. I have heard absolutely nothing in regards to a Top 4 region or Top 2 district determination. Seems very strange that nothing has been released publicly. Just rumors and bits and pieces here and there.

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

And then you have this quote in the BHC by Luke Owens concerning Central's loss to Abingdon.

“Really that game didn’t count in the power points with the protocols they had this year so we need to rip off three straight wins here,” Owens said. 

If that's the case, it would lend credence to Tazewell being 2-0 and Richlands/Graham I being a scrimmage. I have heard absolutely nothing in regards to a Top 4 region or Top 2 district determination. Seems very strange that nothing has been released publicly. Just rumors and bits and pieces here and there.

Bottom line win what games are in front of you and it will shake itself out. 

What really makes it interesting is look at the A & B divisions.  Amount of games played and forfeitures really skew the ratings.  Regions C & D look more like normal times.

5 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Bottom line win what games are in front of you and it will shake itself out. 

What really makes it interesting is look at the A & B divisions.  Amount of games played and forfeitures really skew the ratings.  Regions C & D look more like normal times.

Very true.

And wait until you see the Dogwood district's ratings starting next week. Appo, WC, Altavista and Nelson Co are just playing each other twice! Will shake out very strangely this year.

My understanding is that in the Mountain 7, the games against Abingdon will not count toward the final playoff seeding. The same is true for the SWD in terms of their out of district games (and the first contest between Graham and Richlands). I suppose this was done in an effort to keep things fair, considering that technically the SWD schools had the opportunity to schedule their 6th game, whereas the Mountain 7 did not. 

As far as the playoffs are concerned, I have heard that it will be seeded using the point system for the games that will count. For games not played due to Covid, there will not be a forfeiture and the teams will only divide their total points by the number of games actually played. Obviously, the top four teams according to point averages from Region D will advance to the playoffs. 

Well in that scenario it might actually benefit Union because they were able to play against John Battle and the other two mentioned schools were not. By defeating John Battle, Union received 18 points plus they will receive their rider points from them, which one could assume will be 4 points (win over GC & Lee). 

1 hour ago, VFL4 said:

Well in that scenario it might actually benefit Union because they were able to play against John Battle and the other two mentioned schools were not. By defeating John Battle, Union received 18 points plus they will receive their rider points from them, which one could assume will be 4 points (win over GC & Lee). 

It would. Union would outpoint Central and Ridgeview by the skin of their teeth in a battle of one loss teams IF Battle's games are NOT forfeits, and simply "not played" (verbage in VHSL Return to Play manual).

48 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

It would. Union would outpoint Central and Ridgeview by the skin of their teeth in a battle of one loss teams IF Battle's games are NOT forfeits, and simply "not played" (verbage in VHSL Return to Play manual).

What happens if those missed games are ruled forfeits?

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

What happens if those missed games are ruled forfeits?

Three way tie assuming 4-1 records for all.

Given the uniqueness of this year's schedule, I can only imagine a coin flip would determine the outcome of a 3 way tie as all other factors should be equal since they all have the same schedule.

What I was told this morning from a member of the Richlands staff after a call to the Region D leaders, the SWD games against non-district opponents, and the M7 games against Abingdon do not count (as I’ve said all along). 

If teams are tied for a playoff spot, those teams will draw a number and that will select who goes and who doesn’t. It’s not the top 2 from each side, it’s just the top 4 teams period. So if say Richlands, Tazewell, Union and Ridgeview all finish with 1 loss, they would all draw numbers to see who gets in based on how many spots are left. 

26 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

What I was told this morning from a member of the Richlands staff after a call to the Region D leaders, the SWD games against non-district opponents, and the M7 games against Abingdon do not count (as I’ve said all along). 

If teams are tied for a playoff spot, those teams will draw a number and that will select who goes and who doesn’t. It’s not the top 2 from each side, it’s just the top 4 teams period. So if say Richlands, Tazewell, Union and Ridgeview all finish with 1 loss, they would all draw numbers to see who gets in based on how many spots are left. 

I wasn’t sure how a tie would be handled, but that could very well be the way. If Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands all finish 4-1 then they would outpoint a 3-1 Ridgeview on account of Ridgeview not playing Battle as well. A lot of scenarios could play out, and unfortunately 2 quality teams from Region D will be sitting at home. 

3 hours ago, VFL4 said:

My understanding is that in the Mountain 7, the games against Abingdon will not count toward the final playoff seeding. The same is true for the SWD in terms of their out of district games (and the first contest between Graham and Richlands). I suppose this was done in an effort to keep things fair, considering that technically the SWD schools had the opportunity to schedule their 6th game, whereas the Mountain 7 did not. 

As far as the playoffs are concerned, I have heard that it will be seeded using the point system for the games that will count. For games not played due to Covid, there will not be a forfeiture and the teams will only divide their total points by the number of games actually played. Obviously, the top four teams according to point averages from Region D will advance to the playoffs. 

Well couldn't Union just say they have Covid for 3 weeks and then win district at 3-0.  I know they won't do that but bye the rule you just posted couldn't you actually do that.

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Just let the normal 8 teams in from each region.  It's literally 1 extra game.  I understand Covid is a problem but 1 game isn't gonna matter that much

That or count every game and let the top two from each district go to playoffs. Both districts are equally represented and it doesn’t matter id SWD teams played an extra game. Choose a number or flip a coin if there’s a tie for 2nd. 

20 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Well couldn't Union just say they have Covid for 3 weeks and then win district at 3-0.  I know they won't do that but bye the rule you just posted couldn't you actually do that.

I don’t think Union would do that either, but I don’t see how anyone could stop them unless there was a requirement for verification. In that scenario there would possibly be a tie between Union and Central because they could both be 3-0 and have 6 rider points each.

25 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

So are yall saying each region decided on its on own format for the playoffs?

That seems to be what those who “know” or have “reliable sources” are saying I believe. It’s all bit crazy for things to not be clearer at this point. Perhaps VHSL should have taken the lead and resolved this before the season started. 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

That seems to be what those who “know” or have “reliable sources” are saying I believe. It’s all bit crazy for things to not be clearer at this point. Perhaps VHSL should have taken the lead and resolved this before the season started. 

I mean if that's the case then the VHSL has not let us down. They have stayed consistent with other decisions they have made in the past. Consistently bad but consistent. This is definitely a trainwreck.

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah. It’s that way in normal years. The way Region 2D does playoffs is nothing like the way 2B does it. 

Out of curiosity how does 2B do it?  I thought they all did the same.  For that matter anybody know about 2C?