week 4 (Spring) sched. & updates

VHSLhelper

9 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Devastating loss for the Bobcats to Glenvar 16-14.   I was hoping we could be in contention or have a chance in the end.  Still do I guess, but that same Glenvar team lost to Stuarts Draft 27-0.  We likely aren't on the level this year of Appo, Graham, Draft, Graham, Tazewell, Central.   

Appomattox won't have any trouble with any team on this side of ronoake in 2a. Stuart's Draft may hang with appo but I doubt it....

6 minutes ago, Hokiefan4life said:

Appomattox won't have any trouble with any team on this side of ronoake in 2a. Stuart's Draft may hang with appo but I doubt it....

Don’t put too much faith in the Raiders. 
They have talent but some egos to real in to be considered a favorite. 
Their weak schedule isn’t helping those egos either. 

1 minute ago, BoBob said:

Don’t put too much faith in the Raiders. 
They have talent but some egos to real in to be considered a favorite. 

I’d put plenty of money on Appo winning it all. They were already good. Now they have a reason to go win with coaches situation over there. Dangerous combo. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’d put plenty of money on Appo winning it all. They were already good. Now they have a reason to go win with coaches situation over there. Dangerous combo. 

Coach is missed greatly! 
He does so well keeping kids grounded and focusing each day in practice. 

2 hours ago, BoBob said:

Don’t drink the koolaid!

Raiders are good but lots of good practices need to be had to reach their potential. 

I agree dont drink the koolaid lol. These guys must be seeing things from Appo we dont see. 

Being in Appos Region, I've followed them pretty closely for a long time.  This Appomattox team is the weakest I have seen on the line of scrimmage in over 5-6 years, before their first state title.  They are still very good up front, but by their standards, they are not as good up front as they have been.  The athletes are certailny there at the skilled positions.  Stuarts Draft, Graham, Tazewell, and Central I think are not just as good as Appo this year, but I think they are all slightly better.   As good as Appo has been and still is, expect a very tight game with Appo and Glenvar or Radford in Region C.  Appo's Doug Smith ma be the best High School Football Coach in Virginia at any level, and even though he is still somewhat involved with their program, he's not there on the sidelines and his football IQ matters.  Him not being there is a gigantic loss for Appo.  Only my opinion.  Don't sleep on Nottoway.  A 1980's and 1990's powerhouse and playing the state title game as recent as 2014, they are sitting on a bucketload of talent and have the son of a former long time coach as their offensive coordinator.  They may surprise and Stuarts Drafts is not a sure thing to come out of that side of Virginia.  Nottoway is definitely coming out of Region A, if Covid issues to get them shelved, and they may make it a game with Stuarts Draft in the state semi's.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

A Tazewell/Nottoway final would tickle me pink, given 1986.  But I really appreciate this perspective.  Wasn’t as keenly aware of Nottoway this season, but was aware of Appo’s relative susceptibility along the lines.

A little fun info and history for that 1986 season with Nottoway, Tazewell, Giles, Central Lunenburg-Chippie Chappell, Glynn Carlock, Stephan Holloway, and myself with my bandana friends.

I was a sophomore at Giles on the 86 team that whipped up on the Dogs.  Boy, did that bunch turn it around   Went to Raddy as a freshman before finishing my last 3 years at Giles.  We (Giles) had lost in the state semifinals at Laurel Park in a game we were favored to win ( AA, Div 3-a level down from Tazewell-Nottoway) and the following week, my dad drove me to Tazewell to watch the Nottoway game (state championship).  Tazewell had big signs saying, "no way Nottoway."   

A little fun but useless trivia for that year. I had my game of the year at Tazewell recording 7 tackles and laying the leather on Quentin Reed a few times.  He still feels me.  I hit him hard and talked trash, and I thought I was the baddest guy on the planet until early 3rd qtr, we attempted a pass with me being foolish enough to run a shallow cross 5-7 yds off the line of scrimmage and Stephan Holloway nearly decapitated me.  I never said another word for the rest of that game.  At our level, AA, Div 3, Laurel Park who upset us down in Martinsville went on to lose the state title to James Monroe the following week. 

Back to the Nottoway-Tazewell thing.  The Nottoway team that Tazewell beat in 86 was all of that and then some.   They were undefeated and the only hiccup was a tie game with Central Luneburg (a game that used to draw 8,000 fans) and still a big rival game for those two schools.  Central Luneburg, (the Powell Valley of the East) won the state title that year at the Single A, Div 2 level in a very, very tough contest over Garden High School who traveled to Victoria (Central Lunenberg).  Central walked through all opponents that year with the exception of the Nottoway tie.  Garden gave them fits and was only down a score late in that game before a Central score put it away.  More useless but fun trivia, the former legendary coach at Central Lunenberg High School (Chippie Chappell) had close ties to Bluefield, VA.  His wife was from Bluefield and Chippie (Virginia Hall of game and one of the winningest in Va History and would have won more if not for Powell Valley) was a regular at Cotton's Restaurant-Bar in the off season and would go fishing and hunting regularly there in the Bluefield area.  He was a close friend of Glynn Carlock. 

Garden might have given Loony-burg fits, but the refs gave it right back, or it would've been a REAL nail-biter. The Dragons had picked up some 'mo' in the 2nd half but had to punt from near mid-field. The kick went out just b4 the pylon, but no stripes were near, and they called it a touchback. Had it been placed around the 2, who knows what would've happened.  Would've LOVED to see my Driver's Ed. teacher, Roger Rife, get drenched!

36 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

A little fun info and history for that 1986 season with Nottoway, Tazewell, Giles, Central Lunenburg-Chippie Chappell, Glynn Carlock, Stephan Holloway, and myself with my bandana friends.

I was a sophomore at Giles on the 86 team that whipped up on the Dogs.  Boy, did that bunch turn it around   Went to Raddy as a freshman before finishing my last 3 years at Giles.  We (Giles) had lost in the state semifinals at Laurel Park in a game we were favored to win ( AA, Div 3-a level down from Tazewell-Nottoway) and the following week, my dad drove me to Tazewell to watch the Nottoway game (state championship).  Tazewell had big signs saying, "no way Nottoway."   

A little fun but useless trivia for that year. I had my game of the year at Tazewell recording 7 tackles and laying the leather on Quentin Reed a few times.  He still feels me.  I hit him hard and talked trash, and I thought I was the baddest guy on the planet until early 3rd qtr, we attempted a pass with me being foolish enough to run a shallow cross 5-7 yds off the line of scrimmage and Stephan Holloway nearly decapitated me.  I never said another word for the rest of that game.  At our level, AA, Div 3, Laurel Park who upset us down in Martinsville went on to lose the state title to James Monroe the following week. 

Back to the Nottoway-Tazewell thing.  The Nottoway team that Tazewell beat in 86 was all of that and then some.   They were undefeated and the only hiccup was a tie game with Central Luneburg (a game that used to draw 8,000 fans) and still a big rival game for those two schools.  Central Luneburg, (the Powell Valley of the East) won the state title that year at the Single A, Div 2 level in a very, very tough contest over Garden High School who traveled to Victoria (Central Lunenberg).  Central walked through all opponents that year with the exception of the Nottoway tie.  Garden gave them fits and was only down a score late in that game before a Central score put it away.  More useless but fun trivia, the former legendary coach at Central Lunenberg High School (Chippie Chappell) had close ties to Bluefield, VA.  His wife was from Bluefield and Chippie (Virginia Hall of game and one of the winningest in Va History and would have won more if not for Powell Valley) was a regular at Cotton's Restaurant-Bar in the off season and would go fishing and hunting regularly there in the Bluefield area.  He was a close friend of Glynn Carlock. 

Very interesting thanks for sharing 

2 schools outside of the coverage area but of interest to Narrows given we have James River on Saturday.

James River 0

Floyd Co. 13

Half

2 passing TDs for the Buffaloes.  2nd one was a quick slant to slot man that broke for 70+ YAC.

Liking what I see as far as how JR matches up Saturday.