Graham vs Tazewell

Gridiron60

Let’s get this party started. Neither played their beat ball this week IMO. Both are penalty ridden. Tazewell fields multiple Senior hold backs while Grshsm fields numerous freshmen and sophomores as starters. What do Dawgs need to do to win? What do the GMen need to do to win? I think best defensive performance wins to game. Offensively, both can score but which defense can poke holes through the weaknesses? What say y’all? 

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Let’s get this party started. Neither played their beat ball this week IMO. Both are penalty ridden. Tazewell fields multiple Senior hold backs while Grshsm fields numerous freshmen and sophomores as starters. What do Dawgs need to do to win? What do the GMen need to do to win? I think best defensive performance wins to game. Offensively, both can score but which defense can poke holes through the weaknesses? What say y’all? 

Gonna be a helluva game, for sure. I have no idea who I’d pick to win. 

Tazewell by 3 pts. Calpreps says 27-21 Graham. Graham wins if they are patient with the run. Graham will not have WRs running wide open this game. The coverage will be much tighter. The passing game will not be simple for Graham, which asks the question of whether Graham is patient with the run. This game will be decided by penalties and turnovers. Graham will have it's hands full on the line of scrimmage. I'm going to pick Tazewell to win the game by 3 points.

10 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

Tazewell by 3 pts. Calpreps says 27-21 Graham. Graham wins if they are patient with the run. Graham will not have WRs running wide open this game. The coverage will be much tighter. The passing game will not be simple for Graham, which asks the question of whether Graham is patient with the run. This game will be decided by penalties and turnovers. Graham will have it's hands full on the line of scrimmage. I'm going to pick Tazewell to win the game by 3 points.

Not like they have needed to yet but how is gmen field goal kicking abilities?  Could be an important factor again

I would like to see a comparison of the offensive lines.

Erik Robinson had a segment on the radio yesterday about Graham's offensive and defensive line. Erik stated at the beginning that he felt like Graham would go as far as their offensive and defensive line can take them. I tend to agree with him. I believe Graham starts 3 sophomores, a Jr, and a senior on the line. At the beginning of each year it seems like I say, Graham is going to struggle on the line. It seems Coach Austin gets them in shape every year. Add coach Davis to that list now. 

Tazewell's offensive line looks much bigger than Graham with the exception of Meadows.

13 hours ago, GDUB said:

with all due respect graham by 21. may not be that close

If Riverheads didn’t beat them by 21, Graham isn’t beating them by 21.  It’s certainly the game of the season in the SWD, and could well be a Region D Championship preview.  Both teams do things that give the other some trouble.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I would like to see a comparison of the offensive lines.

Erik Robinson had a segment on the radio yesterday about Graham's offensive and defensive line. Erik stated at the beginning that he felt like Graham would go as far as their offensive and defensive line can take them. I tend to agree with him. I believe Graham starts 3 sophomores, a Jr, and a senior on the line. At the beginning of each year it seems like I say, Graham is going to struggle on the line. It seems Coach Austin gets them in shape every year. Add coach Davis to that list now. 

Tazewell's offensive line looks much bigger than Graham with the exception of Meadows.

I think you are dead on with the line play being the biggest factor. Tazewell will try and scheme Bradshaw out of the game.  If Graham’s O-line holds will determine how successful they are. If I am Graham, I would have Bradshaw shadow Jordan to take away Tazewell’s deep option. The game may come down to which D line can get penetration. Who ever gets Harris or Fritz into the 2nd level of defenders likely wins. If Tazewell can use their size on the OL they can win. If it’s close I like Graham with Bradshaw being the difference. He isn’t just speed but has probably the best hands of a WR I have seen in this area. He seems to come down with the ball even when he is covered. 

Mountain Football and UVA spot on.  If the Reds don't beat the Dogs by 21, neither are the G-Men.  But, Graham is more explosive in the passing game compared to Riverheads who gashes with the run, but lots of time killed which shortens the game.  I've been most impressed by Tazewell with the liineplay.  We know the athletes are there.  They have had those for 3 years.  It's the lineplay that's allowed Tazewell to get over the hump and beat Richlands.  It's the lineplay that actually pushed Riverheads off the ball and only penalties and turnovers killed the drives.  Their lineplay is the difference this year, not the athletes at the skilled positions.  They were gashing Riverheads directly off tackle and they did it to Richlands in the 4th quarter when Richlands knew Tazewell was running the ball.  Graham is very, very good up front and Tazewell has no beast that is on the level of Graham's likely All American candidate, but the lineplay is 5 guys, tackle to tackle, and Tazewell is absolutely big and solid up front and at least equal to Graham and I think, slightly better.  Outside of Stuarts Draft, who has 1 sure bigtime D1 lineman and another one that is flirting with small D1, non P 5 offers, Tazewell is the best line Graham will see if the GMen go that far.  Central is also right there on the line with Graham and Tazewell.  Appo this year is not as good up front as they have been.   I think Graham is going to have a difficult time stopping Tazewell on the ground.  They are going to have some success running the ball. 

The X factor is always a superstar, Div 1 kid, and of course, that's Bradsahw.  The problem for Tazewell is, they have the ability to play pretty good coverage (kind of like Va High who actually had pretty good coverage) but the kid just simply out athletes and takes the ball away from the defender.   His father did that against a dominate Gretna team years ago and almost brought Graham back to win a game over a Gretna team that was one for the ages.  When you have a kid like Bradshaw, he can turn a nailbiting close game flat on it's face.   This is going to be one heck of contest.  

Graham matches up very well with Tazewell probably better than any team in the district. For every stud that Tazewell has Graham has a kid that is just as good just younger. I think Tazewell may have the size advantage up front but Graham has more quickness. 56 for Graham is going to live in Tazewells backfield IMO he is very good and underrated as a D line man that could end up being a major X factor in the game. I think Tazewell has weak link on defense in the front 7 it will be up to Grahams coaches to find it and be attack it all night and the run game should be good for them. This should be a close game but I will give the nod to Graham right now. With that being said this Tazewell team is talented and hungry but did snapping the losing streak to Richlands fill them up? That could be the key. Who ever can handle to emotions of this game will come out on top

13 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

For every stud that Tazewell has Graham has a kid that is just as good just younger

Scary to think about for next year. This years game will be a good one. 

1 minute ago, graham32 said:

Scary to think about for next year. This years game will be a good one. 

Yes very scary for sure. Graham has to replace Fitz and Blevins and thats about it. I guess that could do what they did last season with Lester and put Bradshaw at QB

The majority of Graham's starters and those that see lots of playing time are sophomores. #56, #55, and #52 are all sophomores that start on the o line. The defense is made up of mostly sophomores. The LBs are sophomores as well. This Saturday will be a big test for them. Tazewell did a wholesale hold back in the 8th grade on this senior class. So they are a good bit older than the Graham kids. I see several on here are predicting Graham to win. I think Graham will have to play their best game of the year and then some to make up the gap in size and age. 

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Yes very scary for sure. Graham has to replace Fitz and Blevins and thats about it. I guess that could do what they did last season with Lester and put Bradshaw at QB

The QB will be Brayden Meadows. I don’t know the difference in arm strength or accuracy, but would be an upgrade as far as running the ball. I think he has three rushing touchdowns this year.

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:This Saturday will be a big test for them. Tazewell did a wholesale hold back in the 8th grade on this senior class. So they are a good bit older than the Graham kids. I see several on here are predicting Graham to win. I think Graham will have to play their best game of the year and then some to make up the gap in size and age. 

Saturday will most definitely be a test for the young GMen. You’ll have what? 15 year olds for the most part going up against 18-19 year olds?? I think Graham does have some really good freshmen & sophomores. Can they overcome that size/age gap you mentioned?  I’ve heard and seen much talk that Tazewell should win. I think it’s a toss up. I agree,Graham will need to play their best game of this abbreviated season to win. As someone else stated, it may come down to which team makes fewer mistakes. With all that said, Go GMen! 

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

The majority of Graham's starters and those that see lots of playing time are sophomores. #56, #55, and #52 are all sophomores that start on the o line. The defense is made up of mostly sophomores. The LBs are sophomores as well. This Saturday will be a big test for them. Tazewell did a wholesale hold back in the 8th grade on this senior class. So they are a good bit older than the Graham kids. I see several on here are predicting Graham to win. I think Graham will have to play their best game of the year and then some to make up the gap in size and age. 

56 is only a sophomore!! Good lord I would not be shocked at all if he is playing at the next level

• GMan locked this topic