Graham vs Tazewell

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Warhawk Bowl, James Ramey Trophy, Back of the Dragon Bowl......... Whatever happened to just focusing on winning the last game of the year? 

Let's Go GMen!!!!

SWD has turned into the Big 10

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Ten_Conference_football_rivalry_games

47 minutes ago, GusDaGuesser said:

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe I'm just an old fart lol. If you notice all these bowls and trophies revolve around whoever Tazewell plays that week. Next week I think they play Virginia High. I haven't seen a press release yet on the name of that bowl or trophy. Im sure its in the works. I hope this Warhawk Trophy looks better than the "Ugly Trophy Bowl" medal of honor. 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe I'm just an old fart lol. If you notice all these bowls and trophies revolve around whoever Tazewell plays that week. Next week I think they play Virginia High. I haven't seen a press release yet on the name of that bowl or trophy. Im sure its in the works. I hope this Warhawk Trophy looks better than the "Ugly Trophy Bowl" medal of honor. 

God forbid that whatever the trophy is, you don't forget to bring it out of your locker room if you have to give it to your opponent. 

I have heard that is quite possibly the worst thing that has ever happened in humanity, just above the bubonic plague. 

4 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Is anyone gonna bite on this yet or are we going to let this guy keep insinuating things?

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Warhawk Bowl, James Ramey Trophy, Back of the Dragon Bowl......... Whatever happened to just focusing on winning the last game of the year? 

Let's Go GMen!!!!

Wait, what? There’s a trophy on the line this Saturday? Who knew? I thought it was possibly a playoff spot but a trophy changes everything 😂😂😂 

32 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Wait, what? There’s a trophy on the line this Saturday? Who knew? I thought it was possibly a playoff spot but a trophy changes everything 😂😂😂 

Yep there is a trophy on the line Saturday. I must say there is some meaning behind this one or should I say history. "Warhawk" in general should look better than that dragon or whatever that thing is. 

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

God forbid that whatever the trophy is, you don't forget to bring it out of your locker room if you have to give it to your opponent. 

I have heard that is quite possibly the worst thing that has ever happened in humanity, just above the bubonic plague. 

If Tazewell wins this game there's not a doubt in my mind that trophy will be going down Main St like the Lombardi Trophy. The Brady to Gronk boat to boat pass won't have nothing on the Nunley to Harris sidewalk to sidewalk pass.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

If Tazewell wins this game there's not a doubt in my mind that trophy will be going down Main St like the Lombardi Trophy. The Brady to Gronk boat to boat pass won't have nothing on the Nunley to Harris sidewalk to sidewalk pass.

That’s hilarious. Shame on Tazewell for playing this game in honor of the former segregated school located in Bluefield, Virginia. How dare they do that! 

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Yep there is a trophy on the line Saturday. I must say there is some meaning behind this one or should I say history. "Warhawk" in general should look better than that dragon or whatever that thing is. 

I’ll bite, what’s the history behind this trophy? 

I'm tired of all the big deals being made about the trophies.  Am I a fan of them?  Take it or leave it. 

Dragon bowl trophy is hand carved instead of a piece of plastic from a shop that somebody put a lot of time into to make.  Would like to see somebody else do better.  Was meant to showcase the partnership of Marion and Tazewell on the Back of the Dragon tourism.  I'll be the first to admit that has been huge for this area.

Ramey trophy I remember them talking about all the money that Jim Ramey Sr provided for both schools so more of a dedication to what he has done for both.  By the way even if you were sure you were keeping it, still should have brought it out anyway...

The Warhawk/s is what the county team was in the 7 on 7 last summer and refers to the old school.  I can't find the article I read earlier so this is my paraphrasing of it.  But it is remembering them and heritage and is sponsored by the Shakerag group.  Not going to get into what that is for those that don't know.  If somebody else can find the article and post or copy it that would be great but can't remember where I read it.

With all that said I will say most of these kids are done with football once they graduate.  If they can have a chance to play for a trophy and a bit of bragging that goes along with it then so be it.  Let them have their chance and enjoy it.

It’s not as if THS Administration is sitting back in an office chair, trying to drum up ideas on how to rebrand every single game as some sort of trophy-worthy affair.  

The James C. Ramey, Sr. Trophy was commissioned in 2014 by the Ramey family in honor of Mr. Ramey’s tireless devotion to both schools.  It’s been known as The Backyard Brawl for ages.

The Back of the Dragon Trophy was pitched to both schools in 2016 by those overseeing the Back of the Dragon as a means to highlight Route 16 and promote tourism.

The Warhawk Bowl/Trophy was an idea presented by folks from Shake Rag Forever in 2019 as a means to pay homage to the segregated Tazewell County High School, whose mascot was the Warhawk, given that the school was located in downtown Bluefield, VA yet served a significant portion of Tazewell’s population (including Lou Peery).  Many G-Men and Bulldogs play on the 7-on-7 team together, which they have named the Warhawks.  Certainly worth remembering.

Stu hit this above pretty well, but I just want to emphasize that each of these concepts came from unique places that weren’t the brainchild of THS.

2 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

No one is laughing at you winning. We are laughing because you had a parade after winning a regular season game in MARCH.

It's was more of like an extended Pep-Rally...  Can you really call it a parade? I thought parades where multiple floats or cars or what not combined. That morning it was two school buses being lead by the police en route to Richlands, and the football team walked down main street for a welcome home..  Call it what you want, but we still beat Richlands! 

3 minutes ago, frito gonzales said:

Only way Graham doesn't win by 3 td's is if they have their usual bunch of penalties. If the G-Men play relatively penalty free football they win by 21.

I’m glad your that confident. I think Tazewell is the real deal. I’m hopeful Graham wins but I’m not sure they win big and yes, they have to play well and have a game plan to take out Harris & Jordan while keeping Nunley in check. Do I think Graham’s coaching staff has a plan? Of course, hopefully their players can execute it and stick to assignments. 

11 minutes ago, frito gonzales said:

Only way Graham doesn't win by 3 td's is if they have their usual bunch of penalties. If the G-Men play relatively penalty free football they win by 21.

Only way Graham does win by 3 TDs is if Tazewell somehow passes around some flu, Norovirus, or Rotavirus between themselves this week.  You’re badly underestimating this Tazewell team if you really believe it.  Graham may well win, because they’re plenty talented and have excellent coaching, but it won’t be by a huge margin if it happens.  If.

3 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

these are the only trophies taz will ever have a chance to win!!

I don’t think you’re giving Tazewell enough credit. I’m GMen through and through but I realize Tazewell is a real threat not only to Graham but other teams come playoff time. They’ve got size, speed, and well, age, obviously. I’ll be shocked if it’s a large margin by either team. My guess is others know that Tazewell legit but want to rib Dawg fans a little. If Dawgs win, I’ll be first to congratulate them. 

15 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t think you’re giving Tazewell enough credit. I’m GMen through and through but I realize Tazewell is a real threat not only to Graham but other teams come playoff time. They’ve got size, speed, and well, age, obviously. I’ll be shocked if it’s a large margin by either team. My guess is others know that Tazewell legit but want to rib Dawg fans a little. If Dawgs win, I’ll be first to congratulate them. 

how many 5th year seniors does Taz  have playing? 5 or more is my guess

• GMan locked this topic