week 5 (Spring) sched. & updates

VHSLhelper

13 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

So now we know how the SWD will play out, and it all hinges on Richlands Graham II on Friday night. 

If Graham wins they are the 1 seed and Tazewell the 2. 
If Richlands wins it’s a 3-way tie and they’ll draw numbers from a hat. Whatever number you draw is your seed, and the 3 stays home. 

Friday night will be pressure packed, for sure. 

Great game.  Richlands is going to have one heck of a time beating Graham.  Richlands better pray for rain, because if the field is dry, they will have a tough time with Bradshaw.  For Graham, I would hope their coaches take away from this game what many fans talked about including Eric Robinson on the radio.  Can Graham be patient with the run for 4 quarters.  Graham was patient enough until the last 4 minutes where two.....lets face it, boneheaded coaching decisions allowed that thing before going to OT.  Graham in my opinion only, and I am just a fan and former player and probably know less than most on this board, but Graham's staff better realize from this game in the last 4 minutes and the Appo game, you are going to be in games where you simply can't out athlete opponents. 

You are going to have to run the ball to win.  Graham sold out very late on the run when the run would have ended that thing in OT.  Also, this years Graham team should look to the Gate City and Powell Valley and 92 Richlands and the old Graham state title teams that went East and had success and forget about the recent state title team that was so far ahead in the talent column they could out athlete any AA team and win.  I would write Giles but teams knew we were running it and so did we.  This years team has the ability to be very old school Graham with excellent line play up front on both sides and Tazewell is as good as there is and Graham neutraled them in the first half and got the best of Tazewell by a bunch in the second half up front, and Graham, even with Bradshaw, when considering all guys in open space, does not have the athletes they have had at the skilled positions.  They doesn't mean they aren't great football players.  They are, but this Graham team should commit to the run and they know they have enough capable passing when they need to in order to be somewhat balanced, but running the ball 99% of the time at the 2A level wins titles.  Graham is good enough to absolutely gash opponents and they should ride that all the way, and of course, getting Bradshaw enough touches per game to mix it up.  

When Graham and Tazewell play again, I think it's another toss up game.  Even if the game is at Graham and on a dry field, I think Tazewell actually has the better athletes in space and it's not Tazewell, but Graham who is better up front.  A dry field may not help Graham like many think it will.  

2 minutes ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

Was anyone there to witness if Josiah was really in? I refuse to say anything about it as I wasn’t there. But when Jimi Watson says it it’s hard to not believe. Regardless of the fact he was in or not it was a helluva game!

The radio announcers for Graham eluded that Nunley fumbled it. No clue as to if he did or not as I wasn’t there either. 

Very fun and exciting, old school feel, football game to watch. 
I know I’m getting ahead of myself but if Graham wins, giving them the 1 seed and Tazewell the 2, do they cross bracket with the Mountain 7?

Tazewell would travel to who? Central?

Graham would host who?

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

The radio announcers for Graham eluded that Nunley fumbled it. No clue as to if he did or not as I wasn’t there either. 

@Gridiron60 there is no one on this thread that I respect more than you. You are a diehard fan as I am, but at the same time you speak the truth. Either way, it was a helluva game, and I’m pleased with tazewells gameplay as they gave it there all!

1 minute ago, -oo- said:

Very fun and exciting, old school feel, football game to watch. 
I know I’m getting ahead of myself but if Graham wins, giving them the 1 seed and Tazewell the 2, do they cross bracket with the Mountain 7?

Tazewell would travel to who? Central?

Graham would host who?

union

2 minutes ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

@Gridiron60 there is no one on this thread that I respect more than you. You are a diehard fan as I am, but at the same time you speak the truth. Either way, it was a helluva game, and I’m pleased with tazewells gameplay as they gave it there all!

I give Tazewell credit! They are legit. They are big & strong. It was the game of the season this far in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

Great game.  Richlands is going to have one heck of a time beating Graham.  Richlands better pray for rain, because if the field is dry, they will have a tough time with Bradshaw.  For Graham, I would hope their coaches take away from this game what many fans talked about including Eric Robinson on the radio.  Can Graham be patient with the run for 4 quarters.  Graham was patient enough until the last 4 minutes where two.....lets face it, boneheaded coaching decisions allowed that thing before going to OT.  Graham in my opinion only, and I am just a fan and former player and probably know less than most on this board, but Graham's staff better realize from this game in the last 4 minutes and the Appo game, you are going to be in games where you simply can't out athlete opponents. 

You are going to have to run the ball to win.  Graham sold out very late on the run when the run would have ended that thing in OT.  Also, this years Graham team should look to the Gate City and Powell Valley and 92 Richlands and the old Graham state title teams that went East and had success and forget about the recent state title team that was so far ahead in the talent column they could out athlete any AA team and win.  I would write Giles but teams knew we were running it and so did we.  This years team has the ability to be very old school Graham with excellent line play up front on both sides and Tazewell is as good as there is and Graham neutraled them in the first half and got the best of Tazewell by a bunch in the second half up front, and Graham, even with Bradshaw, when considering all guys in open space, does not have the athletes they have had at the skilled positions.  They doesn't mean they aren't great football players.  They are, but this Graham team should commit to the run and they know they have enough capable passing when they need to in order to be somewhat balanced, but running the ball 99% of the time at the 2A level wins titles.  Graham is good enough to absolutely gash opponents and they should ride that all the way, and of course, getting Bradshaw enough touches per game to mix it up.  

When Graham and Tazewell play again, I think it's another toss up game.  Even if the game is at Graham and on a dry field, I think Tazewell actually has the better athletes in space and it's not Tazewell, but Graham who is better up front.  A dry field may not help Graham like many think it will.  

Richlands held Graham to 7 first half points  in that first game — and gave Graham 2 scores on one of our 4 turnovers. 
Both teams have gotten better. If Richlands can stop the turnovers and punch the ball in when the chances are there — I think it can be a good game. 

37 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I give Tazewell credit! They are legit. They are big & strong. It was the game of the season this far in my opinion. 

Very good game.  You can't get any closer to the goal line, on that 2 point conversion,  couldn't have swiped a credit card through there, but I do think he was stopped just inches short of the goal line.  The blocked punt and INT deep in their own territory proved to be the difference.  I had flashbacks of the Riverheads game.  I would be surprised if these 2teams don't meet again for the region championship.

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands held Graham to 7 first half points  in that first game — and gave Graham 2 scores on one of our 4 turnovers. 
Both teams have gotten better. If Richlands can stop the turnovers and punch the ball in when the chances are there — I think it can be a good game. 

I agree.  The game can be close.  For Richlands, they are going to have to find a way to cover Graham's WR's, not just Bradshaw, but in general, Graham's passing game.  Webb is a beast and the Blues have improved, and they are very solid up front, but they are not the best at covering the pass this year.  If they can get enough deflections, picks, pressure up front, etc, it can be very interesting.  I am not sold on Graham's staff committing to the run.  I think Graham is nasty up front, but if Richlands gets Graham in a 2nd and 10 situation, that thing is going in the air for the next two plays.  It's that 2nd and 3rd down that will determine if the Blues give themselves a chance to win it.

32 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

No fumble..  He was stopped just inches short.  Josiah Jordan played a whale of a defensive game covering Bradshaw.  I would have liked to have seen more attempts to get the ball to Jordan in space.  I think Graham started to stop the read-option later in the game.  That would have been the perfect time to run 5 wide and get the ball to Jordan or Jones or Harris or the other Harris.  My point is, if you have those kind of athletes, get them in space and use them.  Something good will happen.

Food for thought. On Graham's first TD (correct me if I am wrong) I heard on the radio that the big 300 pounder for Tazewell was injured and had to leave the game. With Brody Meadows on the line and the big fellow out for at least 1 play why do you not just go for two and run Fritz behind Meadows?  I know the kicker has done a fine job and I would have normally gone for one as well but when an opportunity like that presents itself don't you have to take advantage?  If I am incorrect in my facts I apologize.

3 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Food for thought. On Graham's first TD (correct me if I am wrong) I heard on the radio that the big 300 pounder for Tazewell was injured and had to leave the game. With Brody Meadows on the line and the big fellow out for at least 1 play why do you not just go for two and run Fritz behind Meadows?  I know the kicker has done a fine job and I would have normally gone for one as well but when an opportunity like that presents itself don't you have to take advantage?  If I am incorrect in my facts I apologize.

Herndon was banged up but did come back in.  The one injured earlier was Jayden Taylor, who did eventually come back in with a taped ankle.

3 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No fumble..  He was stopped just inches short.  Josiah Jordan played a whale of a defensive game covering Bradshaw.  I would have liked to have seen more attempts to get the ball to Jordan in space.  I think Graham started to stop the read-option later in the game.  That would have been the perfect time to run 5 wide and get the ball to Jordan or Jones or Harris or the other Harris.  My point is, if you have those kind of athletes, get them in space and use them.  Something good will happen.

Agree, Tazewell had a couple of near misses on those fly patterns late in the game with one on one coverage.  I was amazed at how well Tazewell covered Graham.  For the most part, their pass defense was in check and I listed to the Graham guys and they said many of times, Graham has many wide open receivers, but I also watched the NFHS feed and I didn't see it.  I thought Tazewell had more open WR's than Graham when Tazewell attempted a pass.  

5 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

I agree.  The game can be close.  For Richlands, they are going to have to find a way to cover Graham's WR's, not just Bradshaw, but in general, Graham's passing game.  Webb is a beast and the Blues have improved, and they are very solid up front, but they are not the best at covering the pass this year.  If they can get enough deflections, picks, pressure up front, etc, it can be very interesting.  I am not sold on Graham's staff committing to the run.  I think Graham is nasty up front, but if Richlands gets Graham in a 2nd and 10 situation, that thing is going in the air for the next two plays.  It's that 2nd and 3rd down that will determine if the Blues give themselves a chance to win it.

The Graham and Richlands game could get very interesting.  My gut says Graham, but Tazewell was able to take Bradshaw out of the game and Graham's scores came on short fields.  If Richlands has somebody that can shadow Bradshaw and do as well on him as Jordan from Tazewell did and the linebackers make plays stopping the run, it should be close.  I would love to see another matchup between Graham and Tazewell in the regional finals, today's game had a feel to it of old-time, in your face smash-mouth football.  It was fun to watch.  Can't wait to see how it all pans out.  My money is on Graham against Richlands on friday, but I wouldn't count out Richlands just yet.

I think Graham and Tazewell,  if they meet again will be another close game and I would not be surprised if Tazewell won it.  I think Tazewell is that talented.  Tazewell got the start they wanted and was one inch from pulling it off.  The things you are concerned about for Tazewell that you know you can fix and you know can matter in the next game is the two miscues early in the second half that flipped the game.  At the same time, if your Tazewell, you are concerned about Graham's ability to run it and run it well in the second half.  Just a great game and if they play again, that game will also be a must see.  But, Central will have something to say.   Central, in my opinion, is the best coached football team in Region D.  Everything they do is textbook.  To beat them, you are going to have to beat them.  This seems like the kind of team that just isn't going to come unglued, and if it is Tazewell going to Central, that game is going to be a battle with Central having just as good of chance in my opinion as Tazewell to win the game.  

10 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

No offense to anyone because I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be. Graham has a first class coaching staff but I really have to question several of the decisions tonight at least on the offensive side of the ball.  Graham could have prevented an OT in my opinion on a couple different occasions but as I said, I am no expert. 

Just now, FootballFan67 said:

No offense to anyone because I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be. Graham has a first class coaching staff but I really have to question several of the decisions tonight at least on the offensive side of the ball.  Graham could have prevented an OT in my opinion on a couple different occasions but as I said, I am no expert. 

I agree with you.  As a whole, Graham is a very well coached High School Team and their staff gets the best out of their players and they are a well oiled machine, but I said this earlier, two to three major miscues by the Graham staff with under 4 minutes left.  They had Tazewell on the ropes.  Gashing them on the ground and with 2nd and 5 at the Tazewell 16, they through the ball with about 3 minutes left.  Then on the next play, the run the QB around the end to the hash setting up an incredibly difficult kick, and of course, they went for it on 4th and Tazewell stopped em.  It was the 2nd and 3rd down calls that completely baffled me and two other guys I was watching with.  Then, on Grahams final drive, letting the QB having a chance to throw the ball into the middle of the endzone from 10 yds out on play where Tazewell was playing clock and pass all the way and the int occured.  Any of those 3 calls could have and almost cost Graham the game.  

55 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Thanks for info. Graham radio announcers weren’t sure, said it may have been since Graham player was carrying ball out of the end zone. It was a heck of a game. Credit to the Dawgs. 

I think if Tazewell and Graham meet again it’s a different game. Graham had a very young o-line playing against seniors. They seemed to get their confidence in the 2nd half. Graham’s Oline was dominant from half time on. Although Tazewell had good coverage and they schemed to take the big play away, they got no pressure. Blevins gashed them running it up the middle. I think Graham’s O-line is going to make it tough for anyone else to have success in the region for the next couple of years.

19 minutes ago, Bobsburger said:

I think if Tazewell and Graham meet again it’s a different game. Graham had a very young o-line playing against seniors. They seemed to get their confidence in the 2nd half. Graham’s Oline was dominant from half time on. Although Tazewell had good coverage and they schemed to take the big play away, they got no pressure. Blevins gashed them running it up the middle. I think Graham’s O-line is going to make it tough for anyone else to have success in the region for the next couple of years.

I really don't get how Graham's o-line was able to do as well as they did. Take Meadows out of the equation. The rest of Graham's o-line was much smaller than Tazewell. I really thought this was going to be the game we seen Graham's o-line not only bend but break. Having kids that much bigger leaning on you for that long is tough.