week 5 (Spring) sched. & updates

VHSLhelper

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

I really don't get how Graham's o-line was able to do as well as they did. Take Meadows out of the equation. The rest of Graham's o-line was much smaller than Tazewell. I really thought this was going to be the game we seen Graham's o-line not only bend but break. Having kids that much bigger leaning on you for that long is tough.

Tazewell is bigger but they aren't that much bigger.   Graham isn't small on the O line, but technique, strength, and just being a good football player matters.  Look at Central on the offensive and defensive line.  They are probably considered small, but they really have increible technique, strength, and skill.

5 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I really don't get how Graham's o-line was able to do as well as they did. Take Meadows out of the equation. The rest of Graham's o-line was much smaller than Tazewell. I really thought this was going to be the game we seen Graham's o-line not only bend but break. Having kids that much bigger leaning on you for that long is tough.

Graham has some tough kids. Graham’s oline is well coached as well. They move Meadows around on the oline to create match ups they want. Their guards always do a great job in pulling as well. I think the other  thing to keep in minds is that Graham does a good job of rotating guys in and out on the D-line. If Tazewell’s linemen are playing both ways that could explain the drop off.

5 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

Tazewell is bigger but they aren't that much bigger.   Graham isn't small on the O line, but technique, strength, and just being a good football player matters.  Look at Central on the offensive and defensive line.  They are probably considered small, but they really have increible technique, strength, and skill.

I watched Central last night. You are right. They are very impressive to say the least. Union isn't too shabby either and for them to beat Union at Union like that says something.

Roanoke Times write up:

Narrows 54, James River 0

NARROWS -- Reid Bowman rushed for 110 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries and threw for another score and Jacob Robertson carried the ball four times for 82 yards and a score as the Green Wave (5-0) shut out the Knights (1-4).
The Narrows defense held James River to minus -10 yards of total offense and forced two turnovers with interceptions by Bowman and Logan Green who also caught a TD pass.

James River;0;0;0;0;--;0
Narrows;21;14;13;6;--;54

N -- T. Robertson 42 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Johnston 20 pass from R. Bowman (J. Robinson kick)
N -- R. Bowman 7 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Green 15 pass from R. Bowman (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Snidow 5 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- J. Robertson 40 punt return (kick failed)
N -- Via 25 run (kick failed)

Reid Bowman 15 carries 110 1 TD and int.
Jacob Robertson 4 carries 82 yards 1 td
Logan Green 2 catches 37 yds, 1 td.and int.

minus 10 total yds off.

9 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Has anyone checked on @UVAObserver after the game? I wouldn't have a voice left if I had called that game. Talk about an adrenaline crash! 

I appreciate the sentiment!  🙂

What a riveting, thrilling game.  It’s certainly a gut punch to be on the wrong end of the most dramatic ending I may have ever seen in a high school game, but there’s no denying that this was the “Game of the Year” in SWVA.  I would love to have the opportunity to call the rematch at Mitchell Stadium in 3 weeks, should that be what fate allows.  

8 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Roanoke Times write up:

Narrows 54, James River 0

NARROWS -- Reid Bowman rushed for 110 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries and threw for another score and Jacob Robertson carried the ball four times for 82 yards and a score as the Green Wave (5-0) shut out the Knights (1-4).
The Narrows defense held James River to minus -10 yards of total offense and forced two turnovers with interceptions by Bowman and Logan Green who also caught a TD pass.

James River;0;0;0;0;--;0
Narrows;21;14;13;6;--;54

N -- T. Robertson 42 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Johnston 20 pass from R. Bowman (J. Robinson kick)
N -- R. Bowman 7 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Green 15 pass from R. Bowman (J. Robinson kick)
N -- Snidow 5 run (J. Robinson kick)
N -- J. Robertson 40 punt return (kick failed)
N -- Via 25 run (kick failed)

Reid Bowman 15 carries 110 1 TD and int.
Jacob Robertson 4 carries 82 yards 1 td
Logan Green 2 catches 37 yds, 1 td.and int.

minus 10 total yds off.

Congrats but no offense but your schedule is embarrassing...Giles is bad but will be by far the best team you guys will play in regular season...no doubt in my mind as bad as Giles is this year they would be unbeaten with that schedule

Wanted to commend Tazewell’s Josiah Jordan for his play yesterday evening. He shadowed Xavion Turner-Bradshaw all game and held him to 4 total touches for only 15 yards.

And he had one of the more impressive touchdown catches I've seen in high school football, diving across the middle in triple coverage to give the Bulldog a shot to win it in overtime. 

27 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Wanted to commend Tazewell’s Josiah Jordan for his play yesterday evening. He shadowed Xavion Turner-Bradshaw all game and held him to 4 total touches for only 15 yards.

And he had one of the more impressive touchdown catches I've seen in high school football, diving across the middle in triple coverage to give the Bulldog a shot to win it in overtime. 

He took the "Bradshaw factor" completely out of the game. Jo-Jo played a great game. Cassius had a real good game as well. I think he's the one that come up with that fumble recovery. 

That was one of the best games I've watched period. Im glad both teams made it out without any injuries and can hopefully represent our district in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I agree.  He did an outstanding job. Very impressive performance.  I would like to see him targeted more on offense too.  He plays hard every play.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

He took the "Bradshaw factor" completely out of the game. Jo-Jo played a great game. Cassius had a real good game as well. I think he's the one that come up with that fumble recovery. 

That was one of the best games I've watched period. Im glad both teams made it out without any injuries and can hopefully represent our district in the playoffs.

Jordan was phenomenal. He did a great job taking out the Bradshaw factor just as Graham defense limiting Harris’s performance. All in all, just a great game and match up. I thought Graham came out flat first half but got it together 2nd half. Graham’s O Line & D Line though overall young held up well. 

Jordan is a beast.  No question, but lets give Bradshaw a little benefit of the doubt also.  Jordan the majority of the time had help over the top with Bradshaw and the condition of the field was clearly not in a condition that you can get your feet planted to make a cut on a pass route.  That helped Tazewell a bunch contain Bradshaw, but it also helped Graham contain Tazewell's passing game.  I'm not 100% sold on Graham's pass defense.  I seen a lot of WR's open for Tazewell and a bunch of near misses for Graham.  Graham got pressure on the QB when Tazewell passed, but the coverage wasn't nearly as good as Tazewells on Graham.  With the athletes Tazewell has in space on offense and defense, I'm not sold a dry turf field at Mitchell Stadium favors Graham at all.  I think it favors Tazewell.  Bradshaw on a dry field will have much bigger numbers offensively.  It's a given, but I think Tazewell's guys will also have bigger numbers and one pass here or one more pass there, and Graham's guys may actually have trouble containing Tazewell's guys in open space on a dry field if the OL from Tazewell can give the QB enough time.  If the two play again, I think its going to be another great game and close one, but Central is going to cause major problems for any SWD that travels there.  There defense is lights out and their offensive line is much like Riverheads.  Not big, but technique is excellent and they can absolutely control the clock and shorten a game against a team with athletes like Tazewell or Graham.  I think the SWD team that travels there is a toss up game, and not surprised if Central wins it.

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Congrats but no offense but your schedule is embarrassing...Giles is bad but will be by far the best team you guys will play in regular season...no doubt in my mind as bad as Giles is this year they would be unbeaten with that schedule

No argument here from me.  Giles will easily be the best team weve played this season up to this point.  Then again, it's been that for the most part since the late 80's because the MED was garbage too for the most part until Dixon got to Galax because of how Fort and Grayson were perennial underachievers. So, seems par for the course really with PM and Covington not being up to their historical selves.  

3 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

No argument here from me.  Giles will easily be the best team weve played this season up to this point.  Then again, it's been that for the most part since the late 80's because the MED was garbage too for the most part until Dixon got to Galax because of how Fort and Grayson were perennial underachievers. So, seems par for the course really with PM and Covington not being up to their historical selves.  

I still don't understand why y'all went to the pioneer to start...should have went to go IMO...would better prepare you for postseason unlike the pioneer

And by the way Giles is awful this year especially defensively and y'all should roll again Friday

2 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Classy post my Narrows friend.  Classy post.  Best wishes to the Greens in every game the rest of the season.............except for 1.   I think we make it a game and play you guys closer than expected, but you should have your way with us up front.

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I still don't understand why y'all went to the pioneer to start...should have went to go IMO...would better prepare you for postseason unlike the pioneer

And by the way Giles is awful this year especially defensively and y'all should roll again Friday

Agree, but you got to look at where Narrows was when they went to the Pioneer.  If they were as good as they were now, they might have made a different choice.  Either way, it's certainly not helping come playoff time compared to the other option that would have been a better option looking back.