Thoughts on the 2021 baseball season

Pioneer

Im not sure about other teams, but the Lebanon Pioneers have an excellent chance to win state. They return much of their young core that lost in the state title game in 2019. They also have one of the best pitchers in the state. I'd definitely say they are the early favorite to win the southwest and the region, and a favorite to win the entire thing if they stay healthy and covid free.  

Who else is going to be strong this season? What are your season predictions? 

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, Pioneer said:

Im not sure about other teams, but the Lebanon Pioneers have an excellent chance to win state. They return much of their young core that lost in the state title game in 2019. They also have one of the best pitchers in the state. I'd definitely say they are the early favorite to win the southwest and the region, and a favorite to win the entire thing if they stay healthy and covid free.  

Who else is going to be strong this season? What are your season predictions? 

Not sure about baseball but I'm sure your alls softball team should be good.  My niece played against you guys 2 years ago and the sophomore pitcher was almost unhittable and I'm sure she's improved since.

40 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Not sure about baseball but I'm sure your alls softball team should be good.  My niece played against you guys 2 years ago and the sophomore pitcher was almost unhittable and I'm sure she's improved since.

40 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Baseball team looks to be stronger than the softball team. The softball team will still be very strong if that tells you anything. Baseball blanked Castlewood like they should 14 to 0 in 5 innings. Softball won like 14 to 3 over Castlewood. Both games were yesterday. The baseball team will start getting more challenging games next week with Tazewell and VA High. 

7 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Baseball team looks to be stronger than the softball team. The softball team will still be very strong if that tells you anything. Baseball blanked Castlewood like they should 14 to 0 in 5 innings. Softball won like 14 to 3 over Castlewood. Both games were yesterday. The baseball team will start getting more challenging games next week with Tazewell and VA High. 

I just don’t see anyone being a challenge to Lebanon.  They are just way too good.  These seniors been waiting on this for a long time.  I don’t see any team in SWD with in 10 runs, much less the Region.  Could be SWVA best team ever.

8 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

I just don’t see anyone being a challenge to Lebanon.  They are just way too good.  These seniors been waiting on this for a long time.  I don’t see any team in SWD with in 10 runs, much less the Region.  Could be SWVA best team ever.

They are definitely extremely good. As far as being the best team in SWVA ever....im going to say no.  JJ Kelly won 9 state titles. The Kelly team with Doug bates that won 3 in a row is probably the best team SWVA has ever seen. Lebanon  needs to stay focused, kids today lose focus easily. They should be the best, but 1 bad game  against a Central or a battle could end it for them in regionals if they aren't focused. Covid could also play a role. A state title won't just be handed to them. They are going to have to earn it. I really hope they do. 

the pioneers are not the best team ever from swva,   no where even close,    Va high had several teams back in the 80's and 90's that would easily defeat them,   JJK   had teams in the 80's that would easily beat them,     it would be hard to pinpoint the best team ever is swva in baseball,    there have been some really good pitchers that have came through this area

18 hours ago, stantheman said:

the pioneers are not the best team ever from swva,   no where even close,    Va high had several teams back in the 80's and 90's that would easily defeat them,   JJK   had teams in the 80's that would easily beat them,     it would be hard to pinpoint the best team ever is swva in baseball,    there have been some really good pitchers that have came through this area

If you couldn’t see the SARCASM in my post about them being the best ever, then that is funny in itself. I would say 82- 83 wise. 92-93 va high amongst others that didn’t even make it to state finals are much better than Lebanon. It is completely a down year in swva baseball, and Abingdon an Lebanon stand out. Don’t think there is a close second to those two. 

2 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Mighty Lebanon just barely outlasted Va High last night. 👀 

That's funny coming from a possible honaker fan...we did beat you 14 to 2 and if we played you again it would be way worse. 

A win is a win. It's good for them to get challenged. Lebanon had only played against two awful teams in Castlewood and Honaker to start the season. Virginia High was basically their first real game.  Virginia High is somewhat down this year, but they are still VA high making them always a tough out. That was most likely VA Highs best chance to beat the Pioneers this year. Lebanon like every other team is working off rust. They will only get better, especially in their hitting game. If thr Pioneers are still getting shut outs when they are rusty...its going to be hard to come close to them when they get to mid season /playoff form. 

Also the number 1 pitcher Buchanan is only throwing in the mid 80s  and  hasn't hit his full strength yet.  His little brother will be a tough pitcher too. 

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands scored 5 in the bottom of the 7th to walk it off and upset VHS. Big win. 

You mean VA High walked 4 in with 5 consecutive walks, and Richlands finally got the walkoff hit. VA High blew it in the seventh.  Hey, its baseball.  

1 hour ago, FoxTrot said:

You mean VA High walked 4 in with 5 consecutive walks, and Richlands finally got the walkoff hit. VA High blew it in the seventh.  Hey, its baseball.  

Ya know, it takes the Blues batters to not swing at balls, too. Kick ‘em while there up, huh? 

8 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Ya know, it takes the Blues batters to not swing at balls, too. Kick ‘em while there up, huh? 

Facts are Facts!  VA High’s 3rd pitcher didn’t play due to quad injury from the Lebanon game.  After VA High Freshman pitcher went out in the 4th.  They were down to 5-6 pitchers.  Congrats to Richlands on the win.  Like I said it is baseball!!!

31 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Facts are Facts!  VA High’s 3rd pitcher didn’t play due to quad injury from the Lebanon game.  After VA High Freshman pitcher went out in the 4th.  They were down to 5-6 pitchers.  Congrats to Richlands on the win.  Like I said it is baseball!!!

Facts are facts. Richlands won. 👌🏻

6 hours ago, Taz said:

Lebanon blanked the heavy hitting bulldogs 10-0 so they’ve knocked off some rust since va high

They didn't even pitch their ace against the bulldogs. They went with a sophomore and freshman who combined for 8 strikes and allowed maybe 3 hits. So far the Pioneers have outscored their opposition 42 to 2. 

8 hours ago, Pioneer said:

They didn't even pitch their ace against the bulldogs. They went with a sophomore and freshman who combined for 8 strikes and allowed maybe 3 hits. So far the Pioneers have outscored their opposition 42-2

7 hours ago, Taz said:

And does anyone have predictions for the Lebanon and Richlands game because I’ve heard Richlands was suppose to be pretty good?

Apparently Va High poked the bear bc they’ve smoked Taz and Richlands 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

Apparently Va High poked the bear bc they’ve smoked Taz and Richlands 

What was the score of the richlands game

17 hours ago, Taz said:

Has anyone heard anything abt their freshman?

All I know is that he is going be pretty good. The one to watch is the sophomore Buchanan, the young brother of the ace Buchanan. People are writing the Pioneers off next year as far as being contenders in single A, but from what I can see they are going to be loaded for a while. Their jv is undefeated as well. There is a lot of talent coming up.