Thoughts on the 2021 baseball season

Pioneer

6 hours ago, Pioneer said:

All I know is that he is going be pretty good. The one to watch is the sophomore Buchanan, the young brother of the ace Buchanan. People are writing the Pioneers off next year as far as being contenders in single A, but from what I can see they are going to be loaded for a while. Their jv is undefeated as well. There is a lot of talent coming up. 

Look forward to watching them then.

Lebanon wins again..the younger Buchanan (sophomore) threw a no hitter...Pioneers win 11 to 0 over Marion. 

Pioneers have no outscored their opposition 63 to 2. 

4 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Lebanon wins again..the younger Buchanan (sophomore) threw a no hitter...Pioneers win 11 to 0 over Marion. 

Pioneers have no outscored their opposition 63 to 2. 

Do they have enough pitchers bc they have that double header tmrw and then they have to turn around and play tazewell and va high next week

10 hours ago, Taz said:

Do they have enough pitchers bc they have that double header tmrw and then they have to turn around and play tazewell and va high next week

They have 6 total. We've seen 4 really play. That's why their ace hasn't pitched a ton yet. Likely the 2 we've seen lately...a sophomore and freshman are 3 and 4 on the depth chart.  The coaches at Lebanon are pretty good at no over working. I look for them to get by both teams tomorrow night pretty early. I think you will see a mix of pitchers in both games. Where the word load is equalized.  I really don't think Tazewell will challenge them. Va High likely played their best game against Lebanon the 1st time. I think Lebanon will be ready for their slower pitching the next time and wear them out. I don't think VA High is as good as they usually are. 

6 hours ago, Pioneer said:

They have 6 total. We've seen 4 really play. That's why their ace hasn't pitched a ton yet. Likely the 2 we've seen lately...a sophomore and freshman are 3 and 4 on the depth chart.  The coaches at Lebanon are pretty good at no over working. I look for them to get by both teams tomorrow night pretty early. I think you will see a mix of pitchers in both games. Where the word load is equalized.  I really don't think Tazewell will challenge them. Va High likely played their best game against Lebanon the 1st time. I think Lebanon will be ready for their slower pitching the next time and wear them out. I don't think VA High is as good as they usually are. 

But how will they get passed regions with their 3rd and 4th guys being a sophomore and freshman?

35 minutes ago, Taz said:

But how will they get passed regions with their 3rd and 4th guys being a sophomore and freshman?

Buchanan’s little brother just threw a no hitter and pitched 5 scoreless against Va High...I wouldn’t feel too bad about throwing him in a region game. 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Also teams have been unable to put many on base against them. Even when they've allowed hits. Regional will be tougher, but I really don't think they will be challenged in the region. I feel like every other team is playing for 2nd in district and regions. State playoffs may be different but again this is basically the same team who made it in 2019. They may be even deeper overall this go around. I saw a state wide ranking the other day that had Lebanon ranked 16 in the state. This top 25 ranking included all schools in the state regardless of size. The only other local team who was in the top 25 was Abingdon. The falcons are loaded as well and both teams are pretty even talent wise. 

29 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Buchanan’s little brother just threw a no hitter and pitched 5 scoreless against Va High...I wouldn’t feel too bad about throwing him in a region game. 

This Pioneer team is deeper than the 2019 version in my opinion, especially at pitcher. They as you've said will be just fine. 

41 minutes ago, Pioneer said:

This Pioneer team is deeper than the 2019 version in my opinion, especially at pitcher. They as you've said will be just fine. 

I looked at the rankings this morning and it had them listed as 10th in the state overall and I do agree they have more depth than they did in 2019 I just wasn’t too sure about their pitching depth.

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

I looked at the rankings this morning and it had them listed as 10th in the state overall and I do agree they have more depth than they did in 2019 I just wasn’t too sure about their pitching depth.

They are much deeper at pitcher compared to 2019. That was the question going in to 2019. They didn't have a lot outside of Buchanan. That is why they beat Page, but lost 23 to 5 to Chatham in the final. 

7 hours ago, Pioneer said:

They are much deeper at pitcher compared to 2019. That was the question going in to 2019. They didn't have a lot outside of Buchanan. That is why they beat Page, but lost 23 to 5 to Chatham in the final. 

I agree that Lebanon has much deeper pitching than in 2019.  Plus, the Region is no where near as good as it was in 2019.  Pitching depth  will not be a problem for the Pioneers in the Region.  VA High is Jekyl and Hyde, even though they played them close.  Battle, Gate City, and John Battle are mediocre.  Tazewell is hot, but you saw what Lebanon did to them with Freshman - Sophomore pitching.  

2 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Honaker looked bad against Lebanon but seems to have righted the ship. 

I don't think it was that  honaker was bad, but think Lebanon is just extremely good. 

The Buchanon brothers from Lebanon.  Are they any kin to the 1980's Lebanon football great Eric Buchanon?  If so, they have some good DNA.  I knew Eric well and he was also a blur on the track.  Won the SWD 100 meters and I think finished 1st or 2nd in the state AA 100 meters.  Dude had crazy speed as in world class type speed, and he was a solid running back.  I just wonder if there is any relation?

6 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

The Buchanon brothers from Lebanon.  Are they any kin to the 1980's Lebanon football great Eric Buchanon?  If so, they have some good DNA.  I knew Eric well and he was also a blur on the track.  Won the SWD 100 meters and I think finished 1st or 2nd in the state AA 100 meters.  Dude had crazy speed as in world class type speed, and he was a solid running back.  I just wonder if there is any relation?

I am pretty sure it's his uncle. 

On 5/22/2021 at 1:33 AM, Fairlawncat said:

Does anyone have any predictions on what we should expect in regionals?

With regionals around the corner who are the favorites in 1A, 2A and 3A ? Which team in the region is going to possibly challenge the Lebanon Pioneers? Or the Abingdon Falcons...the two undefeated teams in our area. 

Does anyone know if they are taking two teams out of the SWD because I’ve heard from multiple people that they’re only taking the top team?

On 5/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, Taz said:

Does anyone know if they are taking two teams out of the SWD because I’ve heard from multiple people that they’re only taking the top team?

Top 4 teams from each district make the region.  For the state tournament, it is only the Region Champions that move on.  

On 5/31/2021 at 9:59 PM, Taz said:

I would say it is quite possible that it could be tazewell and Lebanon in the championship game of the regional tournament 

Quite possibly, if the Pioneers bring their A game its going to be hard to beat them. They've been in a little bit of a slump lately and they still find ways to win and that's a mark of a championship caliber team.