Central @ Union

HaloSports2

Surprised this game wasn't talked about a lot this week. from what i saw on tv union looked bigger, central seemed well prepared. not the game i was expecting thought it would be much closer. central is not as good as i thought they would be at this point in the season, don't think they can challenge graham or Tazewell but you never know.

1 hour ago, HaloSports2 said:

Surprised this game wasn't talked about a lot this week. from what i saw on tv union looked bigger, central seemed well prepared. not the game i was expecting thought it would be much closer. central is not as good as i thought they would be at this point in the season, don't think they can challenge graham or Tazewell but you never know.

I will go respectful different direction.  I think they can.  I am amazed with how well Central is coached.  They seem to me to be coached at a level beyond the overwhelming majority of their opponents.  The blocking is textbook.  The positioning on defense is textbook.  A team like Central that can truly run it well and run it when they have to and play great run defense is a threat.  I favor Graham slightly, but not by over 7 points.  Tazewell, I would call it equal.  Central matches up better with Graham than Tazewell.  The size difference can wear on you and in a smashmouth run type game, Tazewell will be very tough to beat.  

19 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

I will go respectful different direction.  I think they can.  I am amazed with how well Central is coached.  They seem to me to be coached at a level beyond the overwhelming majority of their opponents.  The blocking is textbook.  The positioning on defense is textbook.  A team like Central that can truly run it well and run it when they have to and play great run defense is a threat.  I favor Graham slightly, but not by over 7 points.  Tazewell, I would call it equal.  Central matches up better with Graham than Tazewell.  The size difference can wear on you and in a smashmouth run type game, Tazewell will be very tough to beat.  

i understand what your are saying. you sound like you may be one of the central coaches however, haha

central wasnt that impressive to me. after the 1st qtr union played even with them and union is young and not that good this year. if jenkins throws the ball on the reverse to the wide open reciever in the endzone its 21 14 at the half. the only score central had after 1st qtr was the one coach t gave them with the 4th and one call from our own 27. why pitch the ball back 2 yards with a back like lomax and a blocking back like cj jones? i think union and central go out in the 1st round after watching the graham tazwell game

13 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

i understand what your are saying. you sound like you may be one of the central coaches however, haha

Giles guy here, just lucky and taking advantage of the NFHS setup. I've watched and seen more 2A and 1A teams this year than ever before. It's because of NFHS. I find Central similar to some of our great teams. Often, not big,.but excellent technique.and execution which is a product of great coaching.  It's as clear as day from watching them against Abingdon and Union that they are just well coached. The talent doesn't blow you away, but they just execute.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, The U Bear said:

central wasnt that impressive to me. after the 1st qtr union played even with them and union is young and not that good this year. if jenkins throws the ball on the reverse to the wide open reciever in the endzone its 21 14 at the half. the only score central had after 1st qtr was the one coach t gave them with the 4th and one call from our own 27. why pitch the ball back 2 yards with a back like lomax and a blocking back like cj jones? i think union and central go out in the 1st round after watching the graham tazwell game

I can't believe he didn't throw that ball on that reverse would've been a close game 2nd half with a TD there.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:10 PM, goose111874 said:

I can't believe he didn't throw that ball on that reverse would've been a close game 2nd half with a TD there.

Looked to me like he could have thrown it or cut it up field and scored himself or stringing it towards the sideline

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, The U Bear said:

@goose111874 2 excuses here.

1 minute ago, Warriors_XO said:

No reason to name call. That's what a kid would do.

Well I guess I didn't realize saying a play would've  made the game close was an excuse.   We still would've lost by 14

8 hours ago, Warriors_XO said:

@goose111874 2 excuses here.

thats not an excuse. its an observation.ivee been hearing how great this central team was supposed to be with this group of kids but yet they have not won a district or regional title. so in my observation its same old wise. they win a few games just not the big championship games. again my observation.

3 minutes ago, The U Bear said:

thats not an excuse. its an observation.ivee been hearing how great this central team was supposed to be with this group of kids but yet they have not won a district or regional title. so in my observation its same old wise. they win a few games just not the big championship games. again my observation.

No, that's not what I meant. Fair observation.... we were talking about saying "IF" such and such would have happened..... which is making an excuse.  Unchained had said that guys from Central were saying "If we hadn't fumbled......" (excuse) .... and he had said no one from Union was making excuses. I was jokingly pointing out that they had made excuses, but then was called a liar.  

Someone said losers always make excuses and I agree they tend to. We can say "IF ______ had happened" all we want, but at the end of the day, "_____" did not happen. 

Anyway, it boils down to this, no excuses need to be made for either game. One team outplayed the other when it mattered most and life goes on. 

25 minutes ago, Warriors_XO said:

No, that's not what I meant. Fair observation.... we were talking about saying "IF" such and such would have happened..... which is making an excuse.  Unchained had said that guys from Central were saying "If we hadn't fumbled......" (excuse) .... and he had said no one from Union was making excuses. I was jokingly pointing out that they had made excuses, but then was called a liar.  

Someone said losers always make excuses and I agree they tend to. We can say "IF ______ had happened" all we want, but at the end of the day, "_____" did not happen. 

Anyway, it boils down to this, no excuses need to be made for either game. One team outplayed the other when it mattered most and life goes on. 

So far the best excuse I had heard this week from the Wise guys was that a Central star got drunk the night before the Union game (and they're throwing him under the bus HARD-after all he did for that bunch). That was REALLY reaching:). If Union and Central played 10x they'd most likely split. Both are good teams. No excuses need to be made

8 minutes ago, Unchained said:

So far the best excuse I had heard this week from the Wise guys was that a Central star got drunk the night before the Union game (and they're throwing him under the bus HARD-after all he did for that bunch). That was REALLY reaching:). If Union and Central played 10x they'd most likely split. Both are good teams. No excuses need to be made

Looked more like the OC had gotten drunk 5 minutes before the game started 😳

Just now, Warriors_XO said:

Looked more like the OC had gotten drunk 5 minutes before the game started 😳

Gotta credit the Union D though. A lot of Central's plays had success all year, The best way to shut down the wing T is to contain and force lateral looking ball carriers who want to use that speed outside to break long ones to run north and south. You're just not going to find much room running into the teeth of that Union defense.Credit to those kids from Central for battling back. The old Wise and Pound squads would have panicked and gotten blown out. That's a credit to their character and toughness.

15 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Gotta credit the Union D though. A lot of Central's plays had success all year, The best way to shut down the wing T is to contain and force lateral looking ball carriers who want to use that speed outside to break long ones to run north and south. You're just not going to find much room running into the teeth of that Union defense.Credit to those kids from Central for battling back. The old Wise and Pound squads would have panicked and gotten blown out. That's a credit to their character and toughness.

Absolutely credit the D. However, some simple adjustments and answers were there. I won't go too deep into it, but there's always something there. You just have to be prepared enough and put the work in to look for it. It's arrogant for Central to think that playing a Union team a second time in the same season, with history and tradition on their side,  would be a game where you can do the same things the same way. You have to add a wrinkle. And to float out there and end practice every day by 5:45 and go through the motions will get you beat vs Turner. 

You've watched Central enough to be able to answer this... how many times over the last 2-3 years have you seen a short pass thrown to one of the wingbacks? Not a 30 yard floater, but a short out route or arrow route or seam pass?

That's the whole point in having a wing.... force the defense to cover a guy that's close to the line of scrimmage while at the same time creating another gap. Ask any defensive coordinator what they have to think about most when scheming and they will generally speak about "how to line up vs wing". When you throw to the wings you force the defense to have to choose whether to play upfield hard and risk an open wing on play action or back off and get blocked on a true run play.

No excuses, but there were things that were exposed that have been exposed before,  and have been issues for 3 years, that will continue to be issues for years to come unless someone humbles themselves enough to get better as a coach. You can't put it all on the kids all the time and expect to get 100% back from 10% investment. 

10 minutes ago, Warriors_XO said:

Absolutely credit the D. However, some simple adjustments and answers were there. I won't go too deep into it, but there's always something there. You just have to be prepared enough and put the work in to look for it. It's arrogant for Central to think that playing a Union team a second time in the same season, with history and tradition on their side,  would be a game where you can do the same things the same way. You have to add a wrinkle. And to float out there and end practice every day by 5:45 and go through the motions will get you beat vs Turner. 

You've watched Central enough to be able to answer this... how many times over the last 2-3 years have you seen a short pass thrown to one of the wingbacks? Not a 30 yard floater, but a short out route or arrow route or seam pass?

That's the whole point in having a wing.... force the defense to cover a guy that's close to the line of scrimmage while at the same time creating another gap. Ask any defensive coordinator what they have to think about most when scheming and they will generally speak about "how to line up vs wing". When you throw to the wings you force the defense to have to choose whether to play upfield hard and risk an open wing on play action or back off and get blocked on a true run play.

No excuses, but there were things that were exposed that have been exposed before,  and have been issues for 3 years, that will continue to be issues for years to come unless someone humbles themselves enough to get better as a coach. You can't put it all on the kids all the time and expect to get 100% back from 10% investment. 

Ah we could gripe about us not using Gibson more on slants and such that are so often available. He has serious YAC potential as a WR,but we've forgotten him:(. As for Central being lackadasical that's a ton of arrogance there. If Union doesn't get your attention after going to Mitchell and ousting the team that knocked the Warriors out last year I don't know what does. Seeing a screen from our team lately is as rare as Haley's comet lol. I agree with you on the Central coaching though. It would have been interesting had that talent been at Union. Miserably short of potential there, but then again we're all armchair coaches here:)

1 minute ago, Unchained said:

Ah we could gripe about us not using Gibson more on slants and such that are so often available. He has serious YAC potential as a WR,but we've forgotten him:(. As for Central being lackadasical that's a ton of arrogance there. If Union doesn't get your attention after going to Mitchell and ousting the team that knocked the Warriors out last year I don't know what does. Seeing a screen from our team lately is as rare as Haley's comet lol.

Central has ran one screen in 3 years, zero draws 😂

Bottom line it was a good run for these kids that ended in a tough, hard fought game, won  by the team who was ready to win. Good luck to the bears today.

1 minute ago, Warriors_XO said:

Central has ran one screen in 3 years, zero draws 😂

Bottom line it was a good run for these kids that ended in a tough, hard fought game, won  by the team who was ready to win. Good luck to the bears today.

Sure makes you wonder with the speed of Crabtree and their QB why they weren't eating folks up with screens and draws. BTW they have another upcoming RB that has really impressed me in the Sturgill kid.

Just now, Unchained said:

Sure makes you wonder with the speed of Crabtree and their QB why they weren't eating folks up with screens and draws. BTW they have another upcoming RB that has really impressed me in the Sturgill kid.

Yeah he will be fine. They'll have some adjustments to make next year for sure... won't be the same kind of offense without 23.