Region 2D Playoffs and Plus-1 Games

V-Cats

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I've heard is that the ADs have decided that the playoffs in 2D will be:

SWD #1 vs M7 #2

M7 #1 vs SWD #2

(regardless of playoff points and excluding Abingdon of course)

And then M7 #3 vs SWD #3 and so on

So theoretically, the SWD #3 could have more points than M7 #2 but miss the playoffs

Only top four teams, so only the 1s v the 2s.

The 3s could play each other in the plus one games. 

Not sure if Richlands will outpoint the M7 2 if they finish SWD 3. In that scenario they'd have losses to Tazwell and Graham and wins over Leb, VHS, and Marion. Ridgeviews cancellations make them lose most points I think, and Union will have a loss to Central and wins over Lee, JSB and GC. So Union may end up slightly more points than Richlands, I'm not sure. JSB has two wins, GC one, Lee zero. 

Top 2 from each district. 

In the SWD, if Graham loses to Tazewell: the winner of Richlands Graham II is in. If Graham wins: Richlands would need to win vs. Graham to force a 3 way tie. If that happens — the teams will draw a number from a hat. Whoever draws the 1 will host, the 2 will travel, and the 3 will stay home. 

10 hours ago, Corn man legend 300 said:

I think playoffs should be decided on total points and have all games count... -corn man 

Before the season began and assuming all games were played, the M7 had a advantage with Abingdon being in the district, an advantage the SWD couldn't make up for(all of the 3A schools within reasonable traveling distance had full schedules). Now that were at the end of the season and how it has worked out in the M7 (multiple games cancelled) taking the top 2 teams from each district seems fair to me.

IF all of the games would have counted, the M7 would have gotten all of their games in, and the SWD would have had cancellations then the deck would have been stacked against the SWD. Given the situation this season I don't see how anything other than taking 1 and 2 would have been fair. 

18 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Marion @ Gate City has been announced for April 9th. 

Excellent example of why the VHSL needs to stick with 4 playoff teams per region and the +1 format. 

idk who they will play but Lebanon and Battle would be a nice +1 matchup 

I probably already know the answer with it being VHSL, when graham hosts the playoffs will they go by Va or Wva covid guidelines for spectators? Reason I’m asking is with va high playing in Tennessee, they went pretty much with TN guidelines.  Just a question if anyone could answer.  

16 minutes ago, fishfan said:

I probably already know the answer with it being VHSL, when graham hosts the playoffs will they go by Va or Wva covid guidelines for spectators? Reason I’m asking is with va high playing in Tennessee, they went pretty much with TN guidelines.  Just a question if anyone could answer.  

Depends on how much blowback Chris Stacy is willing to take. They could technically go by WV guidelines if they wanted.

59 minutes ago, Corn man legend 300 said:

yes top two of district but if it was a tie with three teams, then it should go to points. Name in the hat is ridiculous. One team is better than the other because of luck??? come on!! 

In a normal year, all games would count. This isn't a normal year.

If all 3 teams are tied, they will have the same points. What then? The VHSL has a solution. It is as follows:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against public and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of 68-4-6. All regular season games weren't played, but what were would result in a tie in points - go to (b)
(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other tied teams, that team shall advance. Didn't happen, go to (c)
(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents. All have the same common opponents and record, go to (d)
(d) A team that played an opponent with an effective nine (9) game schedule (non-recognized opponent, i.e., home school or out-of-state non-public school, or inability to schedule/play a 10th game) shall be seeded ahead of a school whose opponents play 10 game schedules. Doesn't apply, go to (e)
(e) Schools that played an opponent with nine-game schedules shall be seeded ahead of opponents who played 10-game schedules. Doesn't apply, go to (f)
(f) The team with the highest winning percentage against rating scale recognized opponents. All would have the same winning percentage, go to (g)
(g) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's opponents. Same opponents, same rating, go to (h)
(h) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's VHSL public and VHSL non-public school opponents Once again, same opponents, same rating, go to (i)
(i) The regional chairman, or his/her alternate if his/her school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative.
(j) The group chairman or vice chairman if the chairman's school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative. Should both the group chair and vice chair be involved in the tie the group secretary would oversee the process.

Interesting, the VHSL would use the exact same method to determine the winner, in a normal year, if all the above criteria were met, as the SWD will be using to determine the winner of a 3 way tie. One could argue that the OOD game should be counted, BUT, once again, this isn't a normal year. Every team didn't have the same equitable chance of choosing an OOD opponent. That's why it doesn't count. Like it or not, it is what it is.

The M7 is essentially using the same method in choosing the #2 seed. Only difference is Covid drew the straws, instead of a person, and, unfortunately for them, Ridgeview got the short one. Could have been anyone. Union got lucky.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:40 AM, redtiger said:

Excellent example of why the VHSL needs to stick with 4 playoff teams per region and the +1 format. 

idk who they will play but Lebanon and Battle would be a nice +1 matchup 

I agree, but if I am not mistaken Lebanon is playing Lee for +1. Please correct me if I am wrong. Either way I think Lebanon beats either team and finishes 4-3. That would be Lebanon's first winning record since the 2013-2014 season when they finished 6-5. 

58 minutes ago, redtiger said:

They may be, im.not sure. Lee is bad, real bad, Battle is more competitive and would be a better match-up imo.  Marion/Lee would be a good one as well imo

Lebanon is playing Lee for a +1.... just talked to one of the coaches.