Richlands vs Graham

Gridiron60

51 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No offense to anybody, but who goes into a game with the mindset that it doesn't count?  Every game counts, Thats exactly how Graham approached the first game.  Again, I understand some of the frustration, but you have to win the games put in front of you and make no excuses when you lose, like "it doesn't count".

In my Herm Edwards voice, “you play to win the game”! It’s all good.

11 minutes ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

That’s something you don’t see in today’s time. 

I actually did a little research today.  Richlands’s streak of 20 consecutive playoff appearances will be snapped this year.  That’s a record in SWVA.  Powell Valley had 19 immediately prior to consolidation.  Not even Giles or Gate City or Appalachia can claim that.  It’s regrettable for it to end in a truncated season with just 4 playoff spots.  

Y’all know what Tazewell’s playoff streak record is?  3.

It speaks awfully little of people who would wish ill will on a school like Tazewell.  This is their best team in an extremely long time.

Good News!!! So we can all quit this arguing and move on to more important things (I suggest the Middle East peace crisis)I have devised the perfect way to settle this. Since Graham is the only undefeated team they should get a spot. The final spot should be decided on the field! I propose Tazewell vs Richlands at Ernie Hicks stadium on 3/13/21. Winner takes all.

20 minutes ago, Bobsburger said:

Good News!!! So we can all quit this arguing and move on to more important things (I suggest the Middle East peace crisis)I have devised the perfect way to settle this. Since Graham is the only undefeated team they should get a spot. The final spot should be decided on the field! I propose Tazewell vs Richlands at Ernie Hicks stadium on 3/13/21. Winner takes all.

This is a great idea-I bet they pull out all the stops...someone may even do something crazy like go for it on 4th and long deep in their own territory 

39 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I actually did a little research today.  Richlands’s streak of 20 consecutive playoff appearances will be snapped this year.  That’s a record in SWVA.  Powell Valley had 19 immediately prior to consolidation.  Not even Giles or Gate City or Appalachia can claim that.  It’s regrettable for it to end in a truncated season with just 4 playoff spots.  

Y’all know what Tazewell’s playoff streak record is?  3.

It speaks awfully little of people who would wish ill will on a school like Tazewell.  This is their best team in an extremely long time.

Would take a Graham guy to fight Tazewell's fight...

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

No they didn’t. Cause week 1 didn’t count. It’s based on power points from district games only — UNLESS there was a tie at the end, in which case the non-district games would count to break the tie. If week one counted — then the game with Radford Saturday would have to count. And everyone on here is saying it doesn’t count. 

Richlands has lost a SWD game. Graham has not. Pretty simple if you lay it out like that. Richlands had their game v. Tazwell, they lost. Had they won, they'd be in. Richlands already played Graham and lost. Had Richlands won or even lost in a nailbiter, I could see more outrage. But you guys lost to both Graham and Tazwell. I don't see how anyone can be upset that they're going to the playoffs over a team that is 0-2 against the teams going.

It sucks and it's not a completely fair system, but with everything going on, there was no choice. Ridgeview has a much more legit gripe, they hadn't already lost to Union and would be favored had the teams met, but they're stuck at home too.

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Richlands has lost a SWD game. Graham has not. Pretty simple if you lay it out like that. Richlands had their game v. Tazwell, they lost. Had they won, they'd be in. Richlands already played Graham and lost. Had Richlands won or even lost in a nailbiter, I could see more outrage. But you guys lost to both Graham and Tazwell. I don't see how anyone can be upset that they're going to the playoffs over a team that is 0-2 against the teams going.

It sucks and it's not a completely fair system, but with everything going on, there was no choice. Ridgeview has a much more legit gripe, they hadn't already lost to Union and would be favored had the teams met, but they're stuck at home too.

Agree...lost to both....end of discussion

12 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

This is a great idea-I bet they pull out all the stops...someone may even do something crazy like go for it on 4th and long deep in their own territory 

It's crazy to think that decision could be pretty directly related to Richlands missing postseason play for first time in decades. No sense in re-litigating that decision but it's a pretty crazy way for things to play out. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Out of likes for the day. Good point.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It's crazy to think that decision could be pretty directly related to Richlands missing postseason play for first time in decades. No sense in re-litigating that decision but it's a pretty crazy way for things to play out. 

Sometimes guys get a little high on their own supply 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Did Graham get Covid on purpose? Of course not. And I hope those kids recover quickly. 

Did this &@$! Richlands out of even having a chance? Absolutely. 

The SWD got what they wanted. Moved the goalposts all season. Hope they can sleep better tonight. 

If I was in charge of Richlands athletics, I’d be leaving the district at the first possible moment. 

What screwed Richlands of having a chance was losing twice on your home field. To the only two teams you've played worth a $*!#. That's why you're sitting at home. Crybaby.

16 minutes ago, CPF said:

What screwed Richlands of having a chance was losing twice on your home field. To the only two teams you've played worth a $*!#. That's why you're sitting at home. Crybaby.

26 minutes ago, GDUB said:

Man, dont cry win your games and you wont be in this predicament!!! that simple. good grief!! 

27 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Sometimes guys get a little high on their own supply 

31 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Call me what you want. Say what you will. I couldn’t care less. What I do care about are my players. My friends on that team. On that staff. It was voted before the season began that it was top 4 by points regardless of district. Then it’s voted 9 days before the season ends to change it to top 2 in each district and it’s up to the district to decide how the two teams are picked. If it never changes — Richlands is in the top 4. 

I will continue to fight for my boys until I draw my last breath, regardless of what anyone thinks. I will make damn sure every senior who shed tears today because they learned they don’t even have the chance to go win a game for a potential playoff spot knows that I care about them. My heart breaks with them — for them. They deserve better than that. 

It's just a tough break and a tough season.  I am disappointed for Richlands; however, I understand the reasoning based on head to head results. Control what you can control on the field.  Tazewell County is fortunate to have 3 solid football teams. I hope in the near future, that Graham doesn't maintain their recent dominance, but that greater parity and success of each of the county teams leads to better overall games on the field. I am happy to wish the G-Men and Bulldogs the best of luck going forward.  If the journey ends soon, I will support the Warriors and Bears.

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Did Graham get Covid on purpose? Of course not. And I hope those kids recover quickly. 

Did this &@$! Richlands out of even having a chance? Absolutely. 

The SWD got what they wanted. Moved the goalposts all season. Hope they can sleep better tonight. 

If I was in charge of Richlands athletics, I’d be leaving the district at the first possible moment. 

Ryan, man, I get that you're emotional about this, understandably so, but to insinuate that there is some sort of conspiracy to keep Richlands out of of playoffs is absurd. Who are "the SWD?" The ADs? The principals? I know that it feels like Richlands is outnumbered against Tazewell and Graham, but there are three other schools in the district that may not have had a realistic chance at a district title, but they did have a say in these decisions. I highly doubt Lebanon, VA High, and Marion conspired with Graham and Tazewell to keep Richlands out of playoffs. 

I was all for giving Tazewell crap for not "acting like they'd been there," but I'd expect better from Richlands, who for the first time in 30 years hasn't been the class of the SWD and is drowning in a thimble over it.

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

Ryan, you speak for all the Richlands fans. I hope the Graham Crackers and Tazewell Puppies get their clocks cleaned, by Union and Wise Central. 

I highly doubt he speaks for all of Richlands. Graham coaches thought all along points counted for first game and 2nd game would count as official SWD game as far as district standings. Then it changed and changed again.  It’s a crazy season, period. It’s not the kind of season any of us would prefer. Life isn’t always fair but I believe the fairest way to determine spots was used.  I guarantee Graham would rather be playing this Friday than not. With all of that said, I always support GMen first. I also support and cheer on our other schools. I was just as thrilled for the Herndon boy winning state as I was for Fritz. I was ecstatic when Richlands girls finally won state softball title. 
Poor sportsmanship and disrespect speak volumes about character. Best of luck to all of our Region D teams. May one of them bring home that ring! 

Go GMen!