Richlands vs Graham

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I actually did a little research today.  Richlands’s streak of 20 consecutive playoff appearances will be snapped this year.  That’s a record in SWVA.  Powell Valley had 19 immediately prior to consolidation.  Not even Giles or Gate City or Appalachia can claim that.  It’s regrettable for it to end in a truncated season with just 4 playoff spots.  

Y’all know what Tazewell’s playoff streak record is?  3.

It speaks awfully little of people who would wish ill will on a school like Tazewell.  This is their best team in an extremely long time.

I will say this.  I have been front and center at 3 of Grahams State title games, 1 of Richlands State title games and Tazewells State title game.  Most people in our area do the same and support the local teams.  We have the best kids in the state right here in this area and I can say that for sure.  If Graham gets quarantined and Richlands makes it and advances over Tazewell.  I'll be in line to watch the Blue Tornado.  I love watching the kids.  It's the overbearing adults that mess things up. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Call me what you want. Say what you will. I couldn’t care less. What I do care about are my players. My friends on that team. On that staff. It was voted before the season began that it was top 4 by points regardless of district. Then it’s voted 9 days before the season ends to change it to top 2 in each district and it’s up to the district to decide how the two teams are picked. If it never changes — Richlands is in the top 4. 

I will continue to fight for my boys until I draw my last breath, regardless of what anyone thinks. I will make damn sure every senior who shed tears today because they learned they don’t even have the chance to go win a game for a potential playoff spot knows that I care about them. My heart breaks with them — for them. They deserve better than that. 

Why did you quote my post about that play call? Has nothing to do with your overall point. 

top two from each district makes sense with this season. I don't see how anyone is upset over that. SWD takes their best two (Graham and Tazwell, as both teams beat Richlands) and the M7 takes their top 2 in 2A (Central and winner of Union/RV, but since RV couldn't play it's Union) and they play each other. Having three teams from one district in this season of unequal schedules and cancellations is nuts. 

Everyone agrees it's a shitty situation for Richlands to lose their last game. It's unfortunate they don't get another crack at Graham. But they lost by three TDs to them at home. It wasn't some last second win by Graham. They were, most likely, going to lose again. I don't see it as this huge travesty, I think most agree. It sucks for Richlands but it's not as if they had no choice in this. Beat Tazwell, you're in. 

It sucks because Richlands is a better team than Union this year and I think they’d represent the region much better, they’ve improved across the board and it’s a shame they won’t have a shot to prove it, the region should not have went back on their word of the top four teams, plain and simple.

IF the rules were changed AFTER the official rules were established AND during the last of the regular season, THEN it is inappropriate. I understand that all of the schools had a representative involved, but ANY team could easily be in the same position that the Richlands STUDENTS were suddenly thrown into during the final week of regular season. Remember the students???? The ones this situation hurts the most??? Set an example, people, and stand up for the kids. If they go out in an early round, then so be it, but why take their round away?

37 minutes ago, goSWVA said:

IF the rules were changed AFTER the official rules were established AND during the last of the regular season, THEN it is inappropriate. I understand that all of the schools had a representative involved, but ANY team could easily be in the same position that the Richlands STUDENTS were suddenly thrown into during the final week of regular season. Remember the students???? The ones this situation hurts the most??? Set an example, people, and stand up for the kids. If they go out in an early round, then so be it, but why take their round away?

THIS!!!! ALL OF THIS!!!

I'm standing up for the students at RHS that worked their asses off, avoided Covid, worked to get better every week of the season -- only to have the rules changed the last week of the season. These are kids who are hurting. They read what y'all say about them. They know the entire region is against them 95% of the time. No one wants to see a team lose more than Richlands. There's a bullseyes painted on their chest and all they want to do is go play the games they had scheduled -- under the rules that were agreed upon before this stupid season began. 

As I said -- I'll continue to fight for those kids whose faces I actually know, and their families that are heartbroken and feel betrayed. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Why did you quote my post about that play call? Has nothing to do with your overall point. 

top two from each district makes sense with this season. I don't see how anyone is upset over that. SWD takes their best two (Graham and Tazwell, as both teams beat Richlands) and the M7 takes their top 2 in 2A (Central and winner of Union/RV, but since RV couldn't play it's Union) and they play each other. Having three teams from one district in this season of unequal schedules and cancellations is nuts. 

Everyone agrees it's a shitty situation for Richlands to lose their last game. It's unfortunate they don't get another crack at Graham. But they lost by three TDs to them at home. It wasn't some last second win by Graham. They were, most likely, going to lose again. I don't see it as this huge travesty, I think most agree. It sucks for Richlands but it's not as if they had no choice in this. Beat Tazwell, you're in. 

Accidental. Wasn't directed at you.

A lot has been said on my statement about the Radford game, and I agree that every game counts for the players and the coaches and fans.  The point is that it doesn't change the outcome of the playoff picture.  I agree that it sucks, but the truth is everyone was told that the first Graham and Richlands game would not count in the playoff picture.  Someone quoted Tony Dungy in saying, "you play every game to win", and I agree, but he also stated, "it's very hard to beat the same team twice in one season".  Had Graham played an improved Richlands again, would the outcome be different?, we'll never know, but to change the rules at the end of the season is truly wrong, but yet in line with this whole year.

As a true blue Richlands fan, I would love to have seen the G-men vs Blues game, but it's not meant to be, so we all need to move on.  It's not fair, but life itself is not fair all the time.  I've pulled for Graham in their state games, I've pulled for Tazewell in their state games, and I will pull for the SWD in all playoff games.  Hard pill to swallow sometimes, but SWD fans adapt, overcome, and move on by cheering for each other.  Like family, we can beat on our brothers, but anyone else best not lay a hand on them.  The fact is, I think both Graham and Tazewell deserve to be in the playoffs, and you bet your britches, I am a True Blue fan, but I will cheer for the G-men and the Bulldogs, and hope that one of them bring the hardware back to the SWD.

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

If he speaks for all Richlands fans then how can anybody question why we have such hatred towards them???

I don’t speak for all Richlands fans. I never said I did. He did. I speak for myself. 

What am I missing? the region said there would be two teams from each district and the districts decide who those teams are. Any way you slice it I can't find a scenario where Richlands is one of the two best teams in the SW District. Whether or not they are better than Union is irrelevant. There are lots of examples where teams from District A got in and a team with a better resume from District B did not get in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

What am I missing? the region said there would be two teams from each district and the districts decide who those teams are. Any way you slice it I can't find a scenario where Richlands is one of the two best teams in the SW District. Whether or not they are better than Union is irrelevant. There are lots of examples where teams from District A got in and a team with a better resume from District B did not get in the playoffs.

The argument I'm missing about a potential moving target is not the SW district but the overall region.  If you go by points, currently Richlands outpoints Union and depending on two games this week could still stay ahead and gets left out of the 4 spot because each district gets two teams in.

To me it is completely irrelevant about the first Graham game or anything with Tazewell.  Tazewell outpoints Richlands regardless the outcome and won head to head so the top two teams in SWD are represented.

If there is an argument to be had I would think it should be Union getting in over Richlands.

11 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

At the beginning of the season did the Region say it was going to be the two best from each District or the four best in the Region?

I thought that is what was decided but could be wrong.

8 hours ago, Blue72 said:

It sucks because Richlands is a better team than Union this year and I think they’d represent the region much better, they’ve improved across the board and it’s a shame they won’t have a shot to prove it, the region should not have went back on their word of the top four teams, plain and simple.

No offense to the Blues which are very good, but I think Richlands and Union would be a toss up game.  There is no way I would say Richlands automatically wins over Union.  Calpreps projects that matchup as 26-20 in favor of Richlands.  I would pick Richlands to win in a close game if they played Union, but a Union win would not be a surprise to me.

26 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t speak for all Richlands fans. I never said I did. He did. I speak for myself. 

Unfortunately a select few people can give bad perception of a whole fan base.  Has happened with us for years as well due to a few obnoxious fans in the stands.

I can see the argument for Graham getting in.  Graham has been the best team in the district for 4 years or so and has not lost a district game since 2016, and they have 1 state semi appearance and 1 state championship appearance.  Graham is 5-0 this year and lets face it, they pass the eye test slightly over Tazewell and definitely pass the eye test of Richlands.   It would be a stretch in any form to pick against Graham making the playoffs.  

My understanding is the regional reps said top 4 by power points, with the out of district games for the SWD and the Abingdon game for the M7 not counting. I assume they were thinking the outcome would be the #1 and #2 from each district would have the same points and thus the top 2 from each district would be represented(assuming the #1 went undefeated and the #2 only lost one game). They didn't take into account games not being played and the ensuing unequal ability to earn points (M7 played fewer games overall and thus was unable to earn as many as the SWD). Or maybe they originally thought "let's do it this way and re-evaluate before the season ends", idk. 

34 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Another poster made the comment about Ryan speaking for all Richlands fans.

Personally (and I know this won't be a popular opinion among my kinsmen) I am disappointed by the apparent shift in policy as well as the fact that the impressive streak of playoff appearances will be coming to an end.  But I also can't make much of a logical argument on behalf of a team with 2 losses within an already limited playoff field.

Weird year.  Glad that we get to watch football in some form this school term.  Let's get back on the horse and ride this fall.

3 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

Bottom line is Richlands lost to Graham and Tazewell you guys had your chance to win enough to get in and came up short and it’s over with and time to move on

Are message boards really the place where you find people that move on easily? 😂