Richlands vs Graham

Gridiron60

57 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Everyone thinks Richlands is better than Union, both have two losses to good teams, who believes that Abington is weak, Wise Central? Graham, The Bulldogs ?All 4 losses to quality teams. I would dare to say that Abington is the best of the four , with Central /Graham 2nd , my point is this Richlands may beat Union , may not? It would be the first time since what???2015.  
Your regional championship game will be Central Graham and I believe that Central will win by 8 

Punctuation, my friend.  

Also, I think your predictions won’t come to pass.  Namely, Richlands would beat Union and likely by 2 scores.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Punctuation, my friend.  

Also, I think your predictions won’t come to pass.  Namely, Richlands would beat Union and likely by 2 scores.

Well heck , if and I mean if they are that dang good , they should be in the playoffs. There is something no one wants to talk about, it this: before the season began there was a meeting in region D, they voted to Exclude the 3A school game due to the unfair points it would give the mountain 7 teams, and Richlands/Graham would play twice . A person could argue that all games should be counted, and I agree , but don’t call a Mulligan because things didn’t go as planned .I said it at other posts the regional champion is a “ who gets thrashed by Appo” game

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Everyone thinks Richlands is better than Union, both have two losses to good teams, who believes that Abington is weak, Wise Central? Graham, The Bulldogs ?All 4 losses to quality teams. I would dare to say that Abington is the best of the four , with Central /Graham 2nd , my point is this Richlands may beat Union , may not? It would be the first time since what???2015.  
Your regional championship game will be Central Graham and I believe that Central will win by 8 

You may be right, bur I have the G-Men and the Dogs in the title game.  Central looks good.  Not sure if they have the speed to match the Dogs.  Can't wait to see that one, however.  

6 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

What was the score of the Tazewell vs Richlands middle school game?

I'm pretty sure they took Richlands to the woodshed and delivered a spanking. I know you can't count on great middle school teams being great varsity teams but if they continue on the path they are on...........

You can tell a lot from JV and 8th graders.  When Union had Mitchell and that group of kids u could see it and Centrals group most seen it coming also.  Look at Gate City everyone talked about their peanut football league being down and now look at the varsity.  Union has a group now in middle school that could end up being a very special team.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Punctuation, my friend.  

Here we go again. Central only beat Union by 21 and they're better than Richlands. I figured being so wrong in basketball would sour you from making that kind of statement. You guys like to throw stuff at M7 fans for being homers but you SWD guys are at least as bad as the M7 guys.

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Richlands’ fans are going to have a pretty rude awakening in 2-3 years unless the crop of kids in the pipeline takes a massive leap forward.  I’ve always said, with our schools the sizes they are, this stuff is cyclical...

What do you mean in 2 or 3 years Richlands has been down since 2017.they still fild a competitive group of young men but nothing like Richlands had from 2005 up to 2016....with a few seasons in there where they was good but not good enough.

1 minute ago, Hokiefan4life said:

What do you mean in 2 or 3 years Richlands has been down since 2017.they still fild a competitive group of young men but nothing like Richlands had from 2005 up to 2016....with a few seasons in there where they was good but not good enough.

You think “since 2017” has been bad?  Buckle up...

58 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Here we go again. Central only beat Union by 21 and they're better than Richlands. I figured being so wrong in basketball would sour you from making that kind of statement. You guys like to throw stuff at M7 fans for being homers but you SWD guys are at least as bad as the M7 guys.

You can't lump all us SWD guys together. I for one will concede Graham can be their own worst enemy. They came out flat against Tazewell. In the playoffs, they'll have to do better. I never count Union out no matter how young or inexperienced. Central is tough this year but I knew they would be. They are well coached and seem to mesh together well. Ridgeview is a great team too. I hate the season ended up like it did for them. Everything is crazy and unpredictable in this unconventional season. At the end of the day, I hope Region D can win it all. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I’m not so sure Richlands wouldn’t beat Central on a neutral field.  Sure, I’d favor Central, but it’s not as if Richlands is awful, either.  Having seen one live and having watched more film of both than I’d care to admit, I honest-to-God believe Richlands is about 10 points better.  Not saying Union is bad, because they’re not.  I just believe Union is a clear notch behind what I believe are the 4 best teams in Region D this season.  

Union is a little weaker than they normally are due to youth.  No shame in that.  You’ll be back to challenging Graham for a Region D title in the fall like normal.  It’s as if I have to qualify anything that’s even the slightest bit critical of the glorious M7...

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

You think “since 2017” has been bad?  Buckle up...

Dare I mention one of the factors of Richlands program going down the past three or four years.  ....Possibly losing one of the best defensive minds around. I know some on this board act like Snake no longer DC at Richlands wasn’t a big deal. I think it still had a negative impact on the program just like he’s had a positive impact on Graham. And now Tony Palmer snagged another Richlands’ assistant in Ronnie Davis. I think those two along with the rest of the staff Palmer has put together are about a solid coaching staff as you’d find anywhere in the state. Football in small town America is cyclical but don’t shoot yourself in the foot like Mance did. Just my humble opinion. I by no means am saying a Graham won’t have some down years in the future too. In the near future, probably not.  Maybe Mance saw the writing on the wall and that’s why he packed his bags for Loris. 

36 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Dare I mention one of the factors of Richlands program going down the past three or four years.  ....Possibly losing one of the defensive minds around. I know some on this board act like Snake no longer DC at Richlands wasn’t a big deal. I think it still had a negative impact on the program just like he’s had a positive impact on Graham. And now Tony Palmer snagged another Richlands’ assistant in Ronnie Davis. I think those two along with the rest of the staff Palmer has put together are about a solid coaching staff as you’d find anywhere in the state. Football in small town America is cyclical but don’t shoot yourself in the foot like Mance did. Just my humble opinion. I by no means am saying a Graham won’t have some down years in the future too. In the near future, probably not.  Maybe Mance saw the writing on the wall and that’s why he packed his bags for Loris. 

Tony has assembled a great coaching staff for sure.  I have the utmost respect for what Tony has done for that program in just a few short years.  The winning attitude and the hard work that those kids put in now and the fact that Tony deeply cares about the kids and about Graham High School is why Graham has improved so much in a short time.  He learned from one of the best. I remember just a few short years ago watching Graham allowing 70 points against Gate City and allowing 500 plus yards rushing to a single running back and wondering what had happened to the once top tier team. Seeing kids sitting along the fence line at games with their heads down and helmets at their feet.  The answer was lack of leadership and lack of pride.  Tony brought leadership and pride back to that team.

2 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Tony has assembled a great coaching staff for sure.  I have the utmost respect for what Tony has done for that program in just a few short years.  The winning attitude and the hard work that those kids put in now and the fact that Tony deeply cares about the kids and about Graham High School is why Graham has improved so much in a short time.  He learned from one of the best. I remember just a few short years ago watching Graham allowing 70 points against Gate City and allowing 500 plus yards rushing to a single running back and wondering what had happened to the once top tier team. Seeing kids sitting along the fence line at games with their heads down and helmets at their feet.  The answer was lack of leadership and lack of pride.  Tony brought leadership and pride back to that team.

I commend Tony for what he has done at Graham. He’s a top notch guy all the way, coaching and otherwise. A definite class act, on & off the field. He bought Graham back to the forefront in football. Graham is lucky to have him at the helm. 

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Sounds like Union and Central don't even need to show up to play.

I don’t see where you’re reaching that conclusion. I don’t see any Tazewell or Graham fan implying that. I think Central & Tazewell is a toss up and Union & Graham could be too given Graham’s quarantine and lack of prep time. They are young like Union. Anything can happen in the playoffs, nothing is a given for anyone. 

59 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m not so sure Richlands wouldn’t beat Central on a neutral field.  Sure, I’d favor Central, but it’s not as if Richlands is awful, either.  Having seen one live and having watched more film of both than I’d care to admit, I honest-to-God believe Richlands is about 10 points better.  Not saying Union is bad, because they’re not.  I just believe Union is a clear notch behind what I believe are the 4 best teams in Region D this season.  

Union is a little weaker than they normally are due to youth.  No shame in that.  You’ll be back to challenging Graham for a Region D title in the fall like normal.  It’s as if I have to qualify anything that’s even the slightest bit critical of the glorious M7...

Richlands has lost to both teams with any quality they played and one wasn't close. Central played a very good Abingdon team to the wire and lost on a crazy 4th down play and beat a very good Ridgeview team and then beat a decent enough Union team with ease. Richlands has not shown they can beat good teams. Not sure what you saw in beating VHS or Marion makes you think Richlands is better than Wise and that much better than Union. Union will likely lose to Graham around the same margin Richlands did, give or take a score.

there s that arrogance again. You make it seem like challenging a statement like Richlands easily beats Union as some huge M7 homer idea. It isnt. You said the same exact stuff in basketball, wasn't even close to being right. I'm not even saying Union beats Richlands. I'm saying to just assume Union would lose to Richlands and it likely wouldn't be close has no basis in actual results this year. Did you expect people to just agree with you that Richlands, who s beaten as many good teams as Union this year, zero, is that much better? You're as much a homer for the SWD that I or most anyone else is for the M7. 

Let’s play “what if” let’s say that Graham has another positive test, sooo does Union get the no game or does Trazzz-well then play Union and Central get the no game?????, or does Rich-ee-lands get to step in or does Ridge -I-have-a-view get to play ........ just trying to make it to page 11 in this if and butts post

30 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Let’s play “what if” let’s say that Graham has another positive test, sooo does Union get the no game or does Trazzz-well then play Union and Central get the no game?????, or does Rich-ee-lands get to step in or does Ridge -I-have-a-view get to play ........ just trying to make it to page 11 in this if and butts post

If Graham happens to get quarantined let's go by fewest losses in district play gets in...