Richlands vs Graham

Gridiron60

A few people have told me now that coach Thad has went above the SWD & Region D and has appealed all the way to the VHSL... 

buckle up fellas it looks like if Richlands wins today they’re going to be in the region D playoffs over Union per VHSL !!!

4 minutes ago, Hokies1977 said:

A few people have told me now that coach Thad has went above the SWD & Region D and has appealed all the way to the VHSL... 

buckle up fellas it looks like if Richlands wins today they’re going to be in the region D playoffs over Union per VHSL !!!

Good luck with that and if true, great strategy on making friends your first year. Especially since it’s highly unlikely either team gets past the first round.

18 minutes ago, Hokies1977 said:

Appeals are a lot different than decisions.

I have a hard time believing that the VHSL will step in this hornets nest 

19 minutes ago, Bobsburger said:

Good luck with that and if true, great strategy on making friends your first year. Especially since it’s highly unlikely either team gets past the first round.

Guess he never read Dale  Carnegie’s book, “How to Win Friends and Influence People.” 

My question is if the change was passed 11-0 at Regional level, did Richlands vote in favor or not vote? If they voted yes, the VHSL is ridiculous for even injecting themselves into the situation which who knows if they did. Actually, when it’s supposedly a regional decision, they’d be crazy to step in, it’s a no win situation at this point for them and Wells. Richlands loyal will love him but a lot of region D will lose respect for him & the program, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

Appeals are a lot different than decisions.

I have a hard time believing that the VHSL will step in this hornets nest 

The VHSL took a very hands off approach,  I'd be surprised if they stepped in... or even gave a $#!+

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Richlands loyal will love him but a lot of region D will lose respect for him & the program, IMO. 

I disagree with you Gridiron, you can fault the coach's decision making, but to translate it down to losing respect for the program, isn't fair.  When the G-men's previous coach took a thrasing at Gate City 70-0 a few years back, I never lost respect for Graham's program. Matter of fact, I remember posting that the program would come back and it has.  Don't let the "cancel culture" throw out an established program for one perceived wrong.  

4 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

I disagree with you Gridiron, you can fault the coach's decision making, but to translate it down to losing respect for the program, isn't fair.  When the G-men's previous coach took a thrasing at Gate City 70-0 a few years back, I never lost respect for Graham's program. Matter of fact, I remember posting that the program would come back and it has.  Don't let the "cancel culture" throw out an established program for one perceived wrong.  

Point taken ,it was more in reference to current issue and not the history of the program which has had several solidly successful eras. It's just a mess with all the Covid crap & shortened season but it's a bad look if Richlands voted yes to changes & now want to appeal because they're the ones impacted. 

I think it's sad Ridgeview's fans and coaches haven't made more noise, or at least them being talked about more.  It's Ridgeview, not Richlands, and not Union, but Ridgeview is the 4th best team or one of the 4 best teams in Region D, yet Richlands and Union are arguing over that 4 spot when at least by the eye test, and Calpreps, and comparing scores, when you take all 3 of those data points, they point to Ridgeview, not Richlands or Union (and I mean no disrespect to Union or the Blues) but I am pointing out that the team who is getting totally disrespected and if settled on the field, who truly is the best of the three teams, it's Ridgeview.  I think that is the real sad part and kicker in the equation with the whole Region D mess.

34 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I think it's sad Ridgeview's fans and coaches haven't made more noise, or at least them being talked about more.  It's Ridgeview, not Richlands, and not Union, but Ridgeview is the 4th best team or one of the 4 best teams in Region D, yet Richlands and Union are arguing over that 4 spot when at least by the eye test, and Calpreps, and comparing scores, when you take all 3 of those data points, they point to Ridgeview, not Richlands or Union (and I mean no disrespect to Union or the Blues) but I am pointing out that the team who is getting totally disrespected and if settled on the field, who truly is the best of the three teams, it's Ridgeview.  I think that is the real sad part and kicker in the equation with the whole Region D mess.

I agree Ridgeview is probably the better team but why should Union be penalized when Ridgeview is the reason the game was cancelled

3 hours ago, Hokies1977 said:

Richlands' principal voted for the changes. Any appeal by Richlands is ultimately moot. It should be a done deal.  Union goes to playoffs, Richlands does not. The end.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I agree Ridgeview is probably the better team but why should Union be penalized when Ridgeview is the reason the game was cancelled

I agree with you. Union belongs in the playoffs going by the rules that were agreed upon and set forth. I'm just pointing out that the teams that should be in the playoffs by the rules agreed upon and the actual 4 best teams are not the same. Also, if we start trying (Richland's) to change the rules that were agreed upon, then certainly Ridgeview should speak up.

Not going to matter.  Radford is taking care of business on the field.  Graham, Tazewell, Central and Union need to focus on the games ahead of them.  All of this drama has been a huge distraction.  Region C has some quality teams!!  Whoever comes out of D had better be prepared.  Appo, Dan River and Radford are ALL very good.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, UVAObserver said:

Richlands’ fans are going to have a pretty rude awakening in 2-3 years unless the crop of kids in the pipeline takes a massive leap forward.  I’ve always said, with our schools the sizes they are, this stuff is cyclical...

What will be interesting is that everyone else will still be obsessed with Richlands even if the Blues were to hit a long-term downward trend.  

Prove me wrong, kids.  

I started a thread a few years ago about building a successful program and received several responses.  With that in mind, here is the reality...

I am a Richlands fan through and through, but my passion does not cloud my reasoning. From roughly 2004-2017, we have been very blessed, and spoiled by success,  that our expectations have become unrealistic.  The biggest factor has been renewed enthusiasm and those expectations (culture) built by Greg Mance and his assistant coaches, including Dennis Palmer and Ronnie Davis. We were blessed by a good run of athletes as well.  We still have a great group of kids and coaches; however, economy and demographics are not ideal for the state or region championship every year. 

Graham on the other hand has been a sleeping giant with the same resources and demographics, but now leadership.  The culture by Palmer and company also brings the return of transfers to fill in the gaps, just as Richlands enjoyed.  Good luck to the G-Men going forward.  I hope that Richlands returns to dominance, and I will support our kids.  Time will tell how successful our leadership becomes. For now, Graham has that ingredient to go with talent. 

39 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Not going to matter.  Radford is taking care of business on the field.  Graham, Tazewell, Central and Union need to focus on the games ahead of them.  All of this drama has been a huge distraction.  Region C has some quality teams!!  Whoever comes out of D had better be prepared.  Appo, Dan River and Radford are ALL very good.

Region C is a lot like Region D.  There are 2-3 teams for whom you could make a reasonable case as a state title contender.  There are a couple of good teams that are a notch below them.  Then, the rest of the Region is almost pitiful.  Radford played its very, very, very best in the 1st half, and Richlands played its very, very, very worst.  Remember, Radford’s 1 game removed from a 16-14 loss to Glenvar, who is in that “good not great” category.  

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

Region C is a lot like Region D.  There are 2-3 teams for whom you could make a reasonable case as a state title contender.  There are a couple of good teams that are a notch below them.  Then, the rest of the Region is almost pitiful.  Radford played its very, very, very best in the 1st half, and Richlands played its very, very, very worst.  Remember, Radford’s 1 game removed from a 16-14 loss to Glenvar, who is in that “good not great” category.  

I would have to agree with this.  Some of those teams in Region C are very weak.  Appomattox hasn't been challenged at all because of the weak schedule, that may hurt them going forward.  Glenvar is average at best.  Region D will host that game, which will be an advantage, not having to travel.  If it happens to be Union or Central out of Region D, somebody will have quite a trip.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Richlands clearly walked through the emotions in this one. They were never really there from the start. 

Radford played as if the playoffs are on the line. Props to them for turning it on and not letting up. 

Just hope we can regroup and try to send these seniors out on a win against Ridgeview next week. 

4 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

I don't think any Union people were arguing over who deserved the 4th spot. I think some made a reference about not knowing which was better, Richlands or Union.

No reason for Union to argue over the 4th spot as we already had it. I think the real argument was whether Richlands deserved in over Graham or Tazewell.

Ridgeview would have been favored in the game against the Bears, and I made a comment in one of the posts that Union got lucky.

The only consistent talk about the Bears, from Bear fans, was young, inexperienced, and probably not beating Tazewell or Graham.

55 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't think any Union people were arguing over who deserved the 4th spot. I think some made a reference about not knowing which was better, Richlands or Union.

No reason for Union to argue over the 4th spot as we already had it. I think the real argument was whether Richlands deserved in over Graham or Tazewell.

Ridgeview would have been favored in the game against the Bears, and I made a comment in one of the posts that Union got lucky.

The only consistent talk about the Bears, from Bear fans, was young, inexperienced, and probably not beating Tazewell or Graham.

I've been fairly consistent that Ridgeview is the team that actually got screwed and if fairness is the issue, RV has really gotten it the worst. 

10 hours ago, Hokies1977 said:

Thad should get used to loosing to Union, even when Union not playing , Rich ee lands looses