Chris Akers

BigWinners

It’s always about the right fit, he didn’t play for Hate City and his name wasn’t One of the legends from there, Phil Robbins would be run off too because he wasn’t from there. No hate here but to be a Devil you had to be a Devil.....just saying what I have been told over and over. By the way what’s Gate City’s’ record with the new coach ???? Just wondering 

It is easy to hit a low hanging piñata. And that is what GC football is right now. Will it ever return to the glory it once was? Who knows! I know as a fan they have given me so much pleasure that I can endure the pain. Gate City has lost all it's big money boosters and all it's elite athletes play other sports now and the losing has created a sense of apathy. Football evolved and GC football did not and hence the struggle. So when you combine apathy, lack of athletes and no financial support you get what you have now. Always remember Football more than any other sport runs in cycles and the cycle at GC is down right now, and the board is a little more boring without the GC fans!  

49 minutes ago, SXSW said:

It is easy to hit a low hanging piñata. And that is what GC football is right now. Will it ever return to the glory it once was? Who knows! I know as a fan they have given me so much pleasure that I can endure the pain. Gate City has lost all it's big money boosters and all it's elite athletes play other sports now and the losing has created a sense of apathy. Football evolved and GC football did not and hence the struggle. So when you combine apathy, lack of athletes and no financial support you get what you have now. Always remember Football more than any other sport runs in cycles and the cycle at GC is down right now, and the board is a little more boring without the GC fans!  

I couldn't agree more! I wish someone would go wake @Leatherhead Larry and @Grapeapeup. They need to knock the rust off and get on here and talk some trash at least! I miss those guys.

36 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

GATE CITY may have some players come over from the BLOOMINGDALE area of KINGSPORT,the SULLIVAN NORTH kids would have a long ride to the new school next year, so we can watch to see if that happens

The Sullivan County situation is getting interesting. There are two stud football players leaving South for Science Hill and two really good basketball players leaving Central for Volunteer and several other athletes that have already transferred to DB. I don't know if any kids have transferred to GC if anyone knows I'd like to find out. 

53 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

WHO CAN BLAME THE KIDS? ITS LIKE 10 MIN TO GATE CITY AND 30 PLUS TO THE NEW SCHOOL.......

Yuma Elementary and Weber City Elementary would be nearly empty without  the Tennessee kids.

Fort Chiswell has quietly had a pretty dang good season.  Since Dan River is not playing (not participating in playoffs from what I understand), and with the win over George Wythe, Fort Chiswell may actually be the 2 seed in that region behind Appomattox!  Crazy, but very good chance that Fort Chiswell leapfrogs Glenvar to actually host Glenvar.  It looks like Radford will be the 4th seed and travel to Appo for game one, with Glenvar and Fort Chiswell being the 2 and 3 seeds, and Fort Chiswell may get to host that game as the 2 seed regardless of their outcome with Galax.

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

So what you're saying is, the outsized amount of blame laid on Akers was not fair at all and expecting to fix all that ails GC by firing him was kinda crazy? I agree

15 hours ago, BigWinners said:

So what you're saying is, the outsized amount of blame laid on Akers was not fair at all and expecting to fix all that ails GC by firing him was kinda crazy? I agree

A fractured school board botched the coaching hire after Bill Houseright left... Robbie Norris was hired and the board changed his arrangement about his assistant coaches he was bringing with him and then Justin Hilton turned them down and it was into the bushes they went trying to find a head coach. Houseright the elder knew of the talent hole coming and bailed. I don't think any coach living or dead could have gotten any more wins out of the talent but Akers done a scorched earth policy at Gate City it may never recover from it. Like I posted above they have given me the ultimate thrill of seeing 4 State Championships in person and wining 5 overall and some schools would see their souls just for 1..if they never win another I will always be a fan! 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:24 PM, robtom said:

GW is not very good, and I was at the game and didn't see CA.......

GW is fine they are playing 7 sophmores on offense and 6 on defense that includes 2 freshman while fort is a senior heavy team. they won cant take that away.  GW  had three turnovers and 2 inside the 10. if they didn't have two brain farts on D on leave a WR wide open for 2 tds that u probably could have caught could have been a different game. But on to grayson county. 

On 3/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, SXSW said:

The Sullivan County situation is getting interesting. There are two stud football players leaving South for Science Hill and two really good basketball players leaving Central for Volunteer and several other athletes that have already transferred to DB. I don't know if any kids have transferred to GC if anyone knows I'd like to find out. 

Blountville to Church Hill is quite a haul.

Just now, 1inStripes said:

Blountville to Church Hill is quite a haul.

AAU ties for the basketball players, the family has purchased a home and moved to keep a good AAU group together.

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

A fractured school board botched the coaching hire after Bill Houseright left... Robbie Norris was hired and the board changed his arrangement about his assistant coaches he was bringing with him and then Justin Hilton turned them down and it was into the bushes they went trying to find a head coach. Houseright the elder knew of the talent hole coming and bailed. I don't think any coach living or dead could have gotten any more wins out of the talent but Akers done a scorched earth policy at Gate City it may never recover from it. Like I posted above they have given me the ultimate thrill of seeing 4 State Championships in person and wining 5 overall and some schools would see their souls just for 1..if they never win another I will always be a fan! 

So it's still Akers' fault?