Chris Akers

BigWinners

9 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

GW has been young for a few years now. WHy are they are always young? I would think that a good culture would keep kids for  all 4 years. 

well they have a sophmore qb who should be playing RB but his twin brother tore his pec lifting in December and now the qb has 2 months of qb experience. sophmore wr,slot and H back, and center, jr rb. defense has 2 freshmen starting at LB and 2 sophmores at the other LBs, d line has 1 jr 1 sophmore and d backs have 2 sophmores so yes they are young. 

10 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

GW has been young for a few years now. WHy are they are always young? I would think that a good culture would keep kids for  all 4 years. 

You have to create an atmosphere that kids not only want to play but play hard for you. I can't speak to the atmosphere at GW but when you watch their games it doesn't seem like they make many adjustments. Especially defensively. It can get hard to watch a team pound the ball 20 times in the same gap with no adjustments. Kinda demoralizing as a player. 

2 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

You have to create an atmosphere that kids not only want to play but play hard for you. I can't speak to the atmosphere at GW but when you watch their games it doesn't seem like they make many adjustments. Especially defensively. It can get hard to watch a team pound the ball 20 times in the same gap with no adjustments. Kinda demoralizing as a player. 

man i am so glad you said that!! they make zero i mean zero adjustments on defense!!!! ive never seen a high school stick with one defense one defensive front!! thank god someone else sees this. i think the coach doesnt know any other D thats why they dont adjust. not hard to jump into a 5 man front to take it away but........ 

The joke part. We heard a few weeks ago from one of the middle schools player dad that it was probably going to happen! I was hoping it wouldn't but it's a career decision he'd been praying about for well over a year. The Really was all sarcasm!

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

The joke part. We heard a few weeks ago from one of the middle schools player dad that it was probably going to happen! I was hoping it wouldn't but it's a career decision he'd been praying about for well over a year. The Really was all sarcasm!

Since his boys are all out of HS (I think), it makes sense to take the job and the extra money. GC has such a good infrastructure, they shouldn't fall off a cliff,but they'll need to make a quality hire to ensure GC is still one of the best 2A basketball schools in long run.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, BigWinners said:

Since his boys are all out of HS (I think), it makes sense to take the job and the extra money. GC has such a good infrastructure, they shouldn't fall off a cliff,but they'll need to make a quality hire to ensure GC is still one of the best 2A basketball schools in long run.

True

• 1 month later...

Look, as a player who played under Akers for three seasons I can honestly say Akers was dealt a bad hand. It seems to me that he kinda got thrown on a team full of players who never took to him at all. This combined with the low talent, low funding, etc., didn't start him out on the best foot. But let's not completely blame the bad hand he was dealt either. He wasn't a good coach to us, any way you look at it. Just watching the team play 2017-2019 reflects that. In fact I promise that if you ask anyone who played under Akers at gate city, they would tell you that. I'm glad he's doing better now at fc, and I wish that it continues, so don't get me wrong on that. But the truth is that yeah, he got dealt a bad hand, but on the issues he could help, he didn't. 

I haven't been in the loop with gate city football this past year so I really don't know how Houseright is doing coming from the players perspectives. My hopes is that he gives the players a leader who want to play under him and hopefully attract more talent than what we've had over recent seasons.