Gate City

Tigerman10

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Vermillion will be a tough act to follow.

The program is loaded for 6th grade up. They will have no problem getting quality candidates!   

On 4/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, SXSW said:

The program is loaded for 6th grade up. They will have no problem getting quality candidates!   

Getting candidates should not be a problem. The question will be who they want for the job.   
Ultimately it will be up to the school board. From them you will find out which direction they want to go with the program. 
If the coach is chosen from in house there are only two people I would know of that they would entrust the program to from what I have been told by others in the know and only one is a former player of his while the other was a teammate I think at CVC at one time.  If it’s from the county as a whole then there are four people I know of that will most likely be asked from those in the know (3 former players and 1 former teammate). Outside of the county there is one I know of but whether they would hire him back is questionable. Other than this idk of anyone.  
So altogether, IMO, there are only 4 former players and one former teammate involved.  Anyone else IMO doesn’t have the capability to run the program or have the credibility with the kids to get the job done. I can’t imagine them honestly wanting anyone else involved IMO. When it comes to that circle up there it’s a small one for a reason. 

Anybody know who is in the running for the job?  
Anybody know anyone who wants the job and has or will applied? 

Any idea on who people might want to get the job? 
Im curious as to who will be hired since coach is now the principal and one of the assistants is over the boosters.  I’m sure they will have a say in it as well.  Might be a little say but just as a well will have a say.  
I have an idiot computer that lets me posts things in 15 second increments.  I hate WiFi sometimes. Lmao

On 4/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, SXSW said:

I've heard the same.  My nephew does travel ball, so I've been able to get out and see some of the local talent and having conversations with many parents.  Gate City is setting on a wicked hotbed of talent from 6th grade up in Hoops.  They will be a problem for the rest of Region D after next year (Union the heavy favs for next season, 2021-22).  Not to change the subject about GC's coach, but speaking of young talent coming up, Giles has plenty of it from 6th grade and up in football.  We won't be down for long.  

So there is word floating around out there the next GC head coach will come from Twin Springs. It isn’t that hard to figure out who it could be if you have seen some of the comments going on social media. In our opinion the next head coach to be hired will be able to bring in some big names for his basketball camps in summer and will have the boosters in his hip pocket. We all thought he was being groomed for the job when he was down here before on staff. I believe it’s a no brainer when it comes down to it honestly and he would be one of the four I would have chosen. With the talent coming up in a few years and the experience he has under his belt I n the postseason with the now former coach I think you should have an idea of who it may be. It’s all just rumor mill stuff but over here at work we think it’s a done deal. Then again we didn’t expect Dyer to get the job at The Ridge either so we could all be wrong.  We actually thought McMeans might try to go back and get the job to tell you the truth. Take what we think as a grain of salt really.  We are just laying down bets over here on who the next coach up here will be.  Should be an interesting pick!  We think we know already. Anyone want to lay down a bet on who it may be? 

• 2 weeks later...

So is talking about the next head coach trash?  We would just like to know who is tabbed to take the job and know who is going to take on the next group of Blue Devils. I would think they would be announcing a replacement soon and no I do not know who or how many have applied. It would be very interesting to know who has applied to see what the quality of the applicant pool is. What they are looking for in an applicant though idk exactly what that might be  

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy for the young man. Gate City has talent in boat loads in basketball. So I expect the success to continue!

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This is either going to work out really well or be a disaster.  Vermillion rolling the dice on a 23 year old kid with zero head coaching experience. 

I understand the move as it could be the best fit as far an extension of the GC culture of the last 10 years.  But experience matters, especially in a job like that where the expectations are high every year. I hope he gets the support and backing he will inevitably need. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

This is either going to work out really well or be a disaster.  Vermillion rolling the dice on a 23 year old kid with zero head coaching experience. 

I understand the move as it could be the best fit as far an extension of the GC culture of the last 10 years.  But experience matters, especially in a job like that where the expectations are high every year. I hope he gets the support and backing he will inevitably need. 

I don't know the ins and outs of GC basketball culture, but I agree. Very surprised by that choice.

He is a good guy, with a good head on his shoulders. Should be able to easily relate to the players.

Keys will be surrounding himself with experienced assistants, keeping the younger kids interested, and managing the pressure. 

He will 100% have support & backing. 

Will be interesting to see his offense. He liked to get shots off quickly when he played. 

Everything is going to be okay! Deep talent pool and the ex-HC is just in the principles office. It will a seamless transition like when the 49ers went from Walsh to Siefert! They are just going to keep winning.