Tazewell @ Central?

bulldog05-CO2017

55 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

Not trying to argue, but maybe it's a terminology difference,  but I went back and watched week 1, and didn't see one veer play ran by Riverheads..... 

Same, I watched entire game and didn't see a veer play. They rarely if ever run the QB, most damage done by the HBs. They ran that bunch sweep most of the time, QB would turn, toss to Smiley and then block. Mostly Wing T stuff IIRC but maybe we are all talking about same thing just different words.

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Same, I watched entire game and didn't see a veer play. They rarely if ever run the QB, most damage done by the HBs. They ran that bunch sweep most of the time, QB would turn, toss to Smiley and then block. Mostly Wing T stuff IIRC but maybe we are all talking about same thing just different words.

Their main play is the super power toss, that is the "bunched up" looking play. Everything else they do is prefaced off of that. They run criss cross (counter, double handoff), trap off of buck action, buck sweep, waggle pass and belly.

Veer is actually the path the dive back takes in a triple option oriented offense, but generally the play is called "veer". That play is set up by identifying one or two players that won't be blocked, but rather "optioned" on the play, requiring a decision by the qb. Generally Veer option teams (this year John Battle ran quite a bit of Veer and midline from split backs) use wider splits to give the back a better path to "veer" on, and to give the qb longer to "ride and decide". 

With that being said, Riverheads is almost foot to foot on their line splits, and probably running belly that may look like Veer to some. Difference is, no one is going unblocked,  and the QB reverses out rather than opens up playside.  

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

They sure ran a bunch in Week 1.

Super Power, Criss Cross, Trap, Power and a handful of other plays are the basis of their offense. They don't run any option that I've ever seen, been following them since they beat Eastern Montgomery for state some years back.  Love their style of play. 

Veer - give to a dive back, keep by the QB, or lateral to a pitch back. Battle has ran Veer for several years now, split backs Veer this season and Pistol flex one Veer previous seasons. Veer is more like a basketball 2 on 3 fast break,  undefeated man gets the ball, some teams break it down to Dive and then Keep/Pitch or Dive/Keep with no pitch option (Haysi actually ran those a lot). Usually paired with a FB Dive, a Lead play, and some sort of Counter.

Riverheads wants to beat defenses with brute force(more blockers at the point of attack that defenders) and the occasional slight of hand play. Central wants to out flank defenses and uses more slight of hand and passing. 

Riverheads and Central are similar, but in the same way Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands are similar.

28 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Super Power, Criss Cross, Trap, Power and a handful of other plays are the basis of their offense. They don't run any option that I've ever seen, been following them since they beat Eastern Montgomery for state some years back.  Love their style of play. 

Veer - give to a dive back, keep by the QB, or lateral to a pitch back. Battle has ran Veer for several years now, split backs Veer this season and Pistol flex one Veer previous seasons. Veer is more like a basketball 2 on 3 fast break,  undefeated man gets the ball, some teams break it down to Dive and then Keep/Pitch or Dive/Keep with no pitch option (Haysi actually ran those a lot). Usually paired with a FB Dive, a Lead play, and some sort of Counter.

Riverheads wants to beat defenses with brute force(more blockers at the point of attack that defenders) and the occasional slight of hand play. Central wants to out flank defenses and uses more slight of hand and passing. 

Riverheads and Central are similar, but in the same way Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands are similar.

That's all they ran against Giles in 2013....ran tons of criss cross behind the huge OL they had that ended up going to pittsburgh

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

Their main play is the super power toss, that is the "bunched up" looking play. Everything else they do is prefaced off of that. They run criss cross (counter, double handoff), trap off of buck action, buck sweep, waggle pass and belly.

Veer is actually the path the dive back takes in a triple option oriented offense, but generally the play is called "veer". That play is set up by identifying one or two players that won't be blocked, but rather "optioned" on the play, requiring a decision by the qb. Generally Veer option teams (this year John Battle ran quite a bit of Veer and midline from split backs) use wider splits to give the back a better path to "veer" on, and to give the qb longer to "ride and decide". 

With that being said, Riverheads is almost foot to foot on their line splits, and probably running belly that may look like Veer to some. Difference is, no one is going unblocked,  and the QB reverses out rather than opens up playside.  

The power toss was what I thought was their bread and butter. They would simply outnumber the defense on the short side and just rack up yards. I'm not sure I saw them have any negative yardage plays off the sweep.

When I think of the veer, it's usually in the context of the option. Dive, QB keeper off tackle or pitch HB outside, whatever the unblocked guy dictates. I have never known Riverheads to use many option concepts at all but again I have only seen a handful of games thru the years. Battle is the team im most familiar with around here running lots of veer stuff, that pistol veer set can really cause teams trouble if you are unfamiliar with it. A smart, athletic QB running those veer concepts can be a nightmare for opposing teams. Riverheads QB, from what I've seen, isn't making that kind of decision, it's all called plays. To me, they are a wing team thru and thru. 

Central also runs a lot of those concept but I think you guys are way more willing to trust the QB and let him make those decisions. You guys are also excellent at exploiting matchup and tendency with the pass, so often Wise has guys running wide open downfield bc they execute so damn well.

enjoy this Jonah, prob the most I'll ever be willing to praise Central lolol

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

Not trying to argue, but maybe it's a terminology difference,  but I went back and watched week 1, and didn't see one veer play ran by Riverheads..... 

About 70% of their plays were veer.  Very little pure Wing-T from a team that supposedly does that so often.

29 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The power toss was what I thought was their bread and butter. They would simply outnumber the defense on the short side and just rack up yards. I'm not sure I saw them have any negative yardage plays off the sweep.

When I think of the veer, it's usually in the context of the option. Dive, QB keeper off tackle or pitch HB outside, whatever the unblocked guy dictates. I have never known Riverheads to use many option concepts at all but again I have only seen a handful of games thru the years. Battle is the team im most familiar with around here running lots of veer stuff, that pistol veer set can really cause teams trouble if you are unfamiliar with it. A smart, athletic QB running those veer concepts can be a nightmare for opposing teams. Riverheads QB, from what I've seen, isn't making that kind of decision, it's all called plays. To me, they are a wing team thru and thru. 

Central also runs a lot of those concept but I think you guys are way more willing to trust the QB and let him make those decisions. You guys are also excellent at exploiting matchup and tendency with the pass, so often Wise has guys running wide open downfield bc they execute so damn well.

enjoy this Jonah, prob the most I'll ever be willing to praise Central lolol

I love good football that is executed well, regardless of the team... as long as it isn't some "jack-rock, roll the dice hodge podge" I'll give credit lol

36 minutes ago, redtiger said:

500 I believe. No clue how the tickets are being handed out. I still wont be eligible for one so...

I heard extra tickets would be offered to juniors & seniors well, that was plan for us for Richlands game. I’m not sure though. I think it’s probably up to hosting school to determine how tickets are dispersed. 500 is limit which is asinine. 

37 minutes ago, redtiger said:

500 is absolutely asinine. Tickets should be based on a % of stadium capacity imo, thats at least based on logic and not some random number

Assuming Graham wins then they should really push the issue for WV limits for next week.

37 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Assuming Graham wins then they should really push the issue for WV limits for next week.

Yes! 500 in a 10,000 seat stadium is ridiculous but then again let’s consider the one making these arbitrary decisions which have nothing to do with “science “. 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yes! 500 in a 10,000 seat stadium is ridiculous but then again let’s consider the one making these arbitrary decisions which have nothing to do with “science “. 

If only it was a Bruno Mars concert and not a football game, then the virus would know to be less contagious.