2021 (Spring) playoff picture

VHSLhelper

OFFICIAL pairings should be out Sunday @ 3.

1D : #1 Holston, #2 Pat. Henry (GS); Castlewood is in... J.I. Burton will be if they send results to C'ville.
Rural Retreat is 5th & BDD Champ Grundy finished 6th.

1C :   #4 George Wythe @ #1 Galax  

#3 Parry McCluer @ #2 Narrows

Class 1 West top 4 in pts. order - Galax, Narrows, Holston, PH-GS

2D : looks to be Union @ #1 Graham and Tazewell @ Central (Wise)

2C : #4 Radford @ #1 Appomattox Co.

#3 Glenvar @ #2 Dan River,

Fort Chiswell is standing by at #5

(assuming DR is cleared for out-of-county play)

Class 2 West top 4 in pts. order - Graham, Central, Tazewell Union 

2B : per WTON's Leland McCray : 1-4 are Stuarts Draft, Strasburg, Page Co. & Buffalo Gap

2A : per RVASN & chatters - Nottoway, King William, Poquoson & Amelia County are 1-4.

3D : Christiansburg edged Bassett by 1 pt. for the #4 spot and travels to Lord Botetourt.
#2 Abingdon will host Carroll Co. 

3C : per Ben Cates @ the Lynchburg paper, "I'm told... Rockbridge, Brookville, LCA and Heritage."
WTON's Leland McCray & ScrimmagePlay have a tie for #1.

4D : Pulaski Co. opens @ GW-Danville while #1 Salem hosts Amherst Co. 

4B : per ScrimmagePlay : #1 Monacan hosts Patrick Henry-Ashland. King George & Louisa finish tied for #2.

5D : per ScrimmagePlay : in no order, teams are : William Fleming, Mountain View, Patrick Henry-Roanoke and Harrisonburg.

Edited by VHSLhelper
updated 1C & 2C, rankings

7 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

2D : looks to be Union @ #1 Graham and Tazewell @ Central (Wise)

According to another thread, Wells appealed to VHSL and if they beat Radford, they get in, not Union. I’m not confirming that speculation as true just sharing what was posted. I do know he appealed to VHSL but I’m not sure that’s the decision that was rendered. 

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

No no no wells is a stand up guy...lol....just ask certain Richlands posters on here

Honest question — have you ever even met the man? Or is your opinion on him solely based on quotes and hearsay? 

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I'm sorry but a region PM makes playoffs in is a very weak region

1A is down this year.  Region 1Ds number 1 seed heading into playoffs  Holston lost to the 5th ranked team in 1C Grayson County.

39 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

1A is down this year.  Region 1Ds number 1 seed heading into playoffs  Holston lost to the 5th ranked team in 1C Grayson County.

I'm willing to write that off as a potential one-off for Holston.  Especially with it being the opener in a season without a proper month to get ready that these programs are used to having.  The QB they have is a playmaker.  They have enough kids that fly around that keep them in games against much bigger/stronger teams.  Watched that bunch grow up playing Narrows the last few years and they have gotten better every year.   We know Burton can play.  Nice to see RR getting back to being themselves.  PH seems to be staying solid.  Chilhowie's drop off makes me wonder.  In all, I think D seems to be about where it usually is.  Granted, this is from an outsiders POV.

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

I'm willing to write that off as a potential one-off for Holston.  Especially with it being the opener in a season without a proper month to get ready that these programs are used to having.  The QB they have is a playmaker.  They have enough kids that fly around that keep them in games against much bigger/stronger teams.  Watched that bunch grow up playing Narrows the last few years and they have gotten better every year.   We know Burton can play.  Nice to see RR getting back to being themselves.  PH seems to be staying solid.  Chilhowie's drop off makes me wonder.  In all, I think D seems to be about where it usually is.  Granted, this is from an outsiders POV.

I'm stating all of 1A not just 1D. I'm not taking away from any one region or team. I'm speaking holistically.  Galax and GW both are not on the same level as last years teams. Auburn whonhas been a hard nose tough team was way off this year. Chillhowie is a shell of what they once was.Even Riverheads the juggernaut that they are is not the same quality as last year.

I wonder why Richlands never tried to play Union?  If you are knowing you are going to appeal, and if you win the appeal, you know the team that will be left out is Union, then why not try to play?  Not saying Richlands didn't.  I have no idea.  I wonder if that maybe,,,,,,,pure speculation, but maybe that had something to do with Richlands appealing.  Did they try to get Union to play?  Of course, Union didn't have to play, but Union did book a game pretty quickly that absolutely or little significance with Eastside, and they seemed to book it quickly.  When all of this comes out, if it ever does, I am beginning to wonder if Union wasn't the sly fox in this Region D show.  If Richlands calls, it's easy to say, sorry guys, we already booked with Eastside and can't do this to them.  Certainly, Union could have dropped Eastside, ask Radford and Carroll County.  At the same token, pure message board gumbo and for all we know, Union may have tried to play the Blues.   Know way to tell, but Richlands appeared to bite off far more than they could chew early today.  That thing escalated quickly.

Richlands had a game at Radford on the fall schedule erased. While the immediate situation looks like a game with Union was a no brainer Richlands could have been honoring a prior commitment and sending good will towards Radford who probably has an obligation to come to Richlands this fall. 

2 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

Richlands appeared to bite off far more than they could chew early today.  That thing escalated quickly.

Escalated right out of the gate and never let up. Honestly, it was painful to watch. Truthfully, if they had played Graham last night and their performance mirrored their play today, it would have been same outcome as Game 1 with Graham and not even close. I wish them luck with Ridgeview.