Jump to content
graham32

Graham vs Union

Recommended Posts

 
 
26 minutes ago, graham32 said:

Thoughts? 

Someone posted if Richlands wins today , Union is out & they are in. Whether that’s true or not, who knows. Wells appealed to the VHSL over taking top two from each district. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Union undefeated at Mitchell Stadium against Graham?

Obviously a short week of practice for Graham coming off a quarantine. With only 4 seniors on this team I still like their maturity. They showed me quite a bit last week battling back against a veteran Tazewell team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Someone posted if Richlands wins today , Union is out & they are in. Whether that’s true or not, who knows. Wells appealed to the VHSL over taking top two from each district. 

If I were Union, I would appeal the appeal. After all they had the understanding of top 2 in each district all along.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Someone posted if Richlands wins today , Union is out & they are in. Whether that’s true or not, who knows. Wells appealed to the VHSL over taking top two from each district. 

I haven’t heard that if we win today we are in. Where did you see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Union undefeated at Mitchell Stadium against Graham?

Obviously a short week of practice for Graham coming off a quarantine. With only 4 seniors on this team I still like their maturity. They showed me quite a bit last week battling back against a veteran Tazewell team.

I believe so, I think no matter whatever throws a monkey wrench Graham’s way, the coaches will have them prepared the best the can for the match up. I only hope GMen don’t get drawn into unsportsmanlike conducts calls. That seemed to plague Union yesterday. Our boys need to not react and play their kind of game, don’t come out flat like they did against Tazewell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

If I were Union, I would appeal the appeal. After all they had the understanding of top 2 in each district all along.  

I’m not so sure the VHSL is going to touch this with a ten foot pole but maybe the person that posted it has insider information that the rest of us aren’t privy to. If it were true, yes, appeal the appeal, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m not so sure the VHSL is going to touch this with a ten foot pole but maybe the person that posted it has insider information that the rest of us aren’t privy to. If it were true, yes, appeal the appeal, lol. 

And if that appeal works, appeal the appeal of the appeal and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The Region D playoffs have been decided and voted on.  It's done.  There is no appeal to the VHSL.  It's Graham hosting Union and Tazewell at Central.  The only thing that could change that is a Covid test.  I think Union will play the perfect game and Graham will play its worst game.  This seems to be the usual when the two play at Graham.  I think Graham wins by 7 points and that the game is within reach for Union in the 4th qtr.  For Union, it's their SuperBowl.  This is their season.  Graham is a much better team this year, but the untimely luck for Graham has already started as they will only have a few practices coming off the protocol to prepare.  Expect 5 To's for the GMen to Union's none.  If I were a betting man, I'm taking Union within 10 pts all day long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

if i can have my way lol.  I want Graham to win, i do not want that long trip to BSG again if it comes down to playing them. How the hell did they decide the playoff format this year and not use power points?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, oldfool said:

if i can have my way lol.  I want Graham to win, i do not want that long trip to BSG again if it comes down to playing them. How the hell did they decide the playoff format this year and not use power points?

 

Buddy that's a great question. I've heard so many stories on the process behind this. Card games, corn hole tournament, and a pissing contest. I think a game of "Horse" is what finally decided it. Union being the basketball state champs obviously won that and here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
39 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

The Region D playoffs have been decided and voted on.  It's done.  There is no appeal to the VHSL.  It's Graham hosting Union and Tazewell at Central.  The only thing that could change that is a Covid test.  I think Union will play the perfect game and Graham will play its worst game.  This seems to be the usual when the two play at Graham.  I think Graham wins by 7 points and that the game is within reach for Union in the 4th qtr.  For Union, it's their SuperBowl.  This is their season.  Graham is a much better team this year, but the untimely luck for Graham has already started as they will only have a few practices coming off the protocol to prepare.  Expect 5 To's for the GMen to Union's none.  If I were a betting man, I'm taking Union within 10 pts all day long.

 

I hope Union can hang but Graham should win this game with no problem.  This isn't the same Union team everyone has seen the last 6 or 7 years.  They're extremely young very undisciplined and hardly any experience.  They'll play hard but it won't matter in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
6 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Didn't graham beat union first year union was together in playoff game at Mitchell?

No Union won that one.  I think Union lost next week to Stuart's Draft if I'm right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

No Union won that one.  I thing Union lost next week to Stuart's Draft of I'm right

You are.

Union was 3-0 against Graham until the 28-7 loss in 2018 2D final. They're 4-2 now after winning up there and then getting smashed at home in playoffs in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Graham is also very young, only 4 seniors.  They have a ton of sophomores and a couple of freshmen starting.  Anything can happen with such a young team.  They do have good size and strength for being so young, but they for the most part, don't have big-game experience, except for a few.  I think Graham will make a deep run in the fall.  This spring, they have potential because of the x-factor in Bradshaw, but the youth may show in a close game.  Region C is looking pretty tough right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 hours ago, oldfool said:

if i can have my way lol.  I want Graham to win, i do not want that long trip to BSG again if it comes down to playing them. How the hell did they decide the playoff format this year and not use power points?

 

But you loved our little town , we even have warm weather now, I wouldn’t  worry too much about us , now Central is another story , it is 15 miles up the road 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

But you loved our little town , we even have warm weather now, I wouldn’t  worry too much about us , now Central is another story , it is 15 miles up the road 

Yes we did love the area even so much Lisa left her pocketbook at a restruant there and did not realize it until i was about an hour into the trip home!! lol  Yes i had to turn around and go get it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham is also very young, only 4 seniors.  They have a ton of sophomores and a couple of freshmen starting.  Anything can happen with such a young team.  They do have good size and strength for being so young, but they for the most part, don't have big-game experience, except for a few.  I think Graham will make a deep run in the fall.  This spring, they have potential because of the x-factor in Bradshaw, but the youth may show in a close game.  Region C is looking pretty tough right now.

Tazewell made Bradshaw a nonfactor. If Union can do that, they could make a game of it. If Graham wins and either Tazewell or Central can make Bradshaw a nonfactor, that's huge for securing a win. Graham adjusted with Tazewell taking Bradshaw out of the equation but the deeper you go in playoffs, you don't want your X-factor to be a nonfactor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Yes we did love the area even so much Lisa left her pocketbook at a restruant there and did not realize it until i was about an hour into the trip home!! lol  Yes i had to turn around and go get it..

Should have contacted me via police dept , I would have mailed it back to you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Yes we did love the area even so much Lisa left her pocketbook at a restruant there and did not realize it until i was about an hour into the trip home!! lol  Yes i had to turn around and go get it..

I would love to see Appomattox make a trip to Mitchell Stadium or Tazewell.  Tazewell is not much farther down the road from Bluefield (25 minutes).  It is a nice little town with some unique restaurants and places to visit downtown, plus your standard fast-food places.  You won't be disappointed.  Plenty of places to eat and relax nearby.in Bluefield also.  Very scenic drive through 2 mountain tunnels on the way, too.  Mitchell stadium is very impressive for a High School Stadium.  Tazewell's stadium is very similar to that of Appomattox.  I would hate to see you folks, or whoever comes out of region C to make that drive to BSG or Central, too!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
18 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would love to see Appomattox make a trip to Mitchell Stadium or Tazewell.  Tazewell is not much farther down the road from Bluefield (25 minutes).  It is a nice little town with some unique restaurants and places to visit downtown, plus your standard fast-food places.  You won't be disappointed.  Plenty of places to eat and relax nearby.in Bluefield also.  Very scenic drive through 2 mountain tunnels on the way, too.  Mitchell stadium is very impressive for a High School Stadium.  Tazewell's stadium is very similar to that of Appomattox.  I would hate to see you folks, or whoever comes out of region C to make that drive to BSG or Central, too!!

If it's Tazewell for Appo or the Region C winner, it's a given they are coming from Wytheville up 81, and if Tazewell, it's actually 8 minutes faster getting off at Rocky Gap on Route 61, and you miss the state of WV and Bluefield all together.  The problem, dangerous road, even in 2021, and nothing other than Cove Creek and Grafton which there is no where to eat until you get to Tazewell.  Bluefield has more options, so even if Tazewell, it's safer and better to do the extra 8 minutes and go into the Bluefields.  In 1986, the year we (Giles played at Tazewell), we had a bus driver either crazy or insane or not smart enough that got off at Narrows from Pearisburg, and took 61 from Narrows all the way to Tazewell.  We went back on 460 after the driver had evidently discussed how we got there with some of the parents.  How the Coach Rags didn't pick up on it or not say anything, I don't know.  I can't remember that.  I just remember one he^^ of a ride getting there.  If you think the road from Rocky Gap to Tazewell is windy and narrow on 61, try going from Rocky Gap to Narrows on 61.  Back then, and I'm sure it's still probably like that,  there were spots were it was tricky getting one vehicle through, much less 2.  Back then, before GPS, internet, etc, it was kind of word of mouth and Giles had few trips back further west in our schools history before 86, so contrary to one might think, there wasn't as much to go on.  VT wasn't good in football, so the classic 460 trip out of SWVA through Pearisburg wasn't as common back then because people didn't travel to droves for VT games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...