Graham vs Union

Graham32

1 hour ago, jonah58 said:

While we are at it... technically it is Central Warriors.  There's no Wise... its not Wise-Central or Central-Wise.... just Central. Would I have picked that? No way. Terribly generic. 

There's also a bunch of Centrals out there even in VA. I think Wise Central sounds the best and I use all the names interchangeably but Central Warriors is about as generic as humanly possible. 

41 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

There's also a bunch of Centrals out there even in VA. I think Wise Central sounds the best and I use all the names interchangeably but Central Warriors is about as generic as humanly possible. 

When I first heard what they named the school I thought it was a joke. Wasted opportunity to come up with something original and cool.

41 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

When I first heard what they named the school I thought it was a joke. Wasted opportunity to come up with something original and cool.

Didn't like Union at first but it was more creative than Central and Eastside i guess.  Appy Valley BullVikes just wasn't meant to be.

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

While we are at it... technically it is Central Warriors.  There's no Wise... its not Wise-Central or Central-Wise.... just Central. Would I have picked that? No way. Terribly generic. 

Wasn't there people from Pound getting mad when someone thru Central in the name.

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

But it is referred to as Wise Central or Central Wise because there are other "Central High School" in VA...Woodstock, Lunenburg...

24 minutes ago, GMan said:

But it is referred to as Wise Central or Central Wise because there are other "Central High School" in VA...Woodstock, Lunenburg...

Oh yeah definitely.  I hate the name and it should be something else all together.  

54 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Wasn't there people from Pound getting mad when someone thru Central in the name.

The name Central was a message to the rest of the county about what's most important in the county.... when Eastside closes down in a few years they will be at "Central "... don't forget.... they wanted 2 and even 3 schools on the one site up there at one time.... which is ridiculously stupid.

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Didn't like Union at first but it was more creative than Central and Eastside i guess.  Appy Valley BullVikes just wasn't meant to be.

Yeah I always found Union to be incredibly corny. They could have done better both UHS and CHS. Ridgeview came out the best, decent enough name and mascot with awesome color scheme. If it was up to me, you Appy heathens would have had to suck it up and come to Powell Valley High School featuring the artist formerly known as Appalachia.

Just now, jonah58 said:

At least Union mascot was something somewhat unique and has something to do with the area.

I so badly wanted the Pound/JJK school mascot to be the Copperheads.

Copperheads is infinitely cooler and more unique than Warriors, quite possibly the most generic and cookie cutter mascot ever. Copperhead with a cool color scheme could have been great for you guys.

Bears aren't bad, but I'm not a huge fan of the colors. They are really kinda bland and dull. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Copperheads is infinitely cooler and more unique than Warriors, quite possibly the most generic and cookie cutter mascot ever. Copperhead with a cool color scheme could have been great for you guys.

Bears aren't bad, but I'm not a huge fan of the colors. They are really kinda bland and dull. 

The whole deal with the colors was that the combined schools weren't supposed to have any of the older schools colors... that sure didn't happen with Central... kept pound and jjk colors.

I felt like the Copperheads would have been cool with copper/white/black color scheme. A shiny copper helmet akin to Notre Dame, with black uniforms would have been beastly. 

11 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

The whole deal with the colors was that the combined schools weren't supposed to have any of the older schools colors... that sure didn't happen with Central... kept pound and jjk colors.

I felt like the Copperheads would have been cool with copper/white/black color scheme. A shiny copper helmet akin to Notre Dame, with black uniforms would have been beastly. 

That would have fit perfectly, those colors, RV would have been pissed since they got black too, they weren't gonna let two teams use black even tho it's clear to everyone that black is maybe the single best color to work with in a uniform.

Union could have went so many different ways, but the blue and orange both are kinda dull variants. Chevy used to have the best orange I've ever seen, a smokier, sleeker orange they could have used and basically any blue except the one they chose. I understand no sky blue like PV used, but dark blue can work if it's not so damn bland. The blue the Dallas Mavs use is even a better choice, it just pops more.

40 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah I always found Union to be incredibly corny. They could have done better both UHS and CHS. Ridgeview came out the best, decent enough name and mascot with awesome color scheme. If it was up to me, you Appy heathens would have had to suck it up and come to Powell Valley High School featuring the artist formerly known as Appalachia.

Appy heathens uh. 

4 hours ago, jonah58 said:

The name Central was a message to the rest of the county about what's most important in the county.... when Eastside closes down in a few years they will be at "Central "... don't forget.... they wanted 2 and even 3 schools on the one site up there at one time.... which is ridiculously stupid.

When/if Eastside closes Castlewood will get the vast majority of those students IMO.

Central should've been named after Pound native and U-2 spy plane pilot Francis Gary Powers who was shot down while flying a reconnaissance mission over the Soviet Union. The team nickname could've been the COLD WARRIORS.

7 hours ago, jonah58 said:

At least Union mascot was something somewhat unique

Navy and Orange Bears, just like Chicago,  Bland County and Grainger County (ok, they're the Grizzlies).  Not real unique. 

Centrals colors were cool, basically keeping the schemes from P/JJK but name and mascot leave a lot to be desired. 

Eastside is generic, as is mascot and color scheme.  Michigan State ripoff.

Ridgeview has a really cool color scheme and mascot but name is generic.

Yes, but not by enough.  

Western Ridge due to the proximity to Pine Mountain,  the western edge if Virginia in the county and Pinnacle due to the schools position on top of the ridge were 2 names that were thrown out that really stuck out to me.

I'm telling you right now, if Tazewell Co. doesn't get creative with school names when consolidation time comes, I'm going to be pissed!!!  If administrators can't be more creative than "Central", "Union", or "Ridgeview", "Bears", "Warriors, or "Wolfpack", they don't need to be in office!  Tazewell Co. has enough culture, history, and geography that the names could be so unique that there may never be another school with the same name in the US.  It's all right there in front of them if they could just see it.  And don't let the stupid teenage kids pick the names either, they have no concept of the local culture, geography, and history of the County and they are far from knowledgeable enough to make that decision.  Just use imagination and be unique, it isn't that difficult...