Richlands QB play

Hokiefan4life

24 minutes ago, Hokiefan4life said:

They better be working with some other kids at the QB position.... the Cox kid just don't have what it takes to be a QB.

He had good games past two weeks. I think something like 70+ % completion rate. Not sure what his completed passes etc. was today. He seems like an athletic kid. I think he'll do better next year. It's hard learning a whole new system under a new coach. He doesn't do well out of the pocket under pressure but a lot of other HS QBs don't either. 

11 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

You have 8 posts on this site and 2 of them are bashing a teenager.

You are likely the parent/relative of one of the backup QBs....but if you aren’t, then you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities in life. 

What's your kids name and I'll tell ya what that lil bastards doing wrong too.

What is wrong with pointing out that a player is not very good in the poster's opinion? There is nothing bashing about that. As long as negative evaluations are about football and competency in that area I see nothing wrong with giving a player a negative evaluation. Just be decent about it. 

18 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

What is wrong with pointing out that a player is not very good in the poster's opinion? There is nothing bashing about that. As long as negative evaluations are about football and competency in that area I see nothing wrong with giving a player a negative evaluation. Just be decent about it. 

In my opinion, high school students should be off limits for criticism by name.  

Critique the coaches who choose the depth chart-they get paid for that job.  A kid who is doing his or her best should not be subjected to the same standard as a paid employee. 

24 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Critique the coaches who choose the depth chart-they get paid for that job.  A kid who is doing his or her best should not be subjected to the same standard as a paid employee. 

I think there is a fine line that can be walked with it. I've seen criticism in the past with QB positions at Union, Richlands, Tazewell, Graham and others as well. There is saying they are terrible and then saying I believe they would be better at another position. 

26 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

I would tend to agree with this.

1 hour ago, Hokiefan4life said:

They better be working with some other kids at the QB position.... the Cox kid just don't have what it takes to be a QB.

Richlands has/had the perfect QB this year for the system they should be running based on the athletes they have.  That QB should have had 6-7 carries per game and used as a lead blocker in an eye formation and have lead blockers for him when the ball is directly snapped to him in an eye variation.  See my point?  Richlands better learn something (referring to the coaches, not the teenagers) that you do not win 2A state championships in Virginia with wide open passing attacks.  Does it happen?  Rarely.  With all of the success from 2004 to present, Richlands has one state title.  Why?  They passed to get W's in a gimmicky type offense that local schools don't see much and they did it well, but come game 3, 4, or 5 of the playoffs, those WR's were BLANKETED and you could see,  you could feel it, you could sense the jitters from the Richlands sidelines on what to do.  Richlands has had the athletes up front since 2004 to literally gash people on the ground, and they refused to become a run first offense.  The were a pass first offense, and then run when the pass doesn't work and we panic when athletes are blanketing our WR's in the late playoffs.  The kid at QB this year for Richlands could have been a bruising runner and blocker, yet they had him dropping back to pass 20 or so times a game against a Graham team and Tazewell team that left few people to throw to.  The current kid at Richlands, the athlete is one heck of a player and athlete, but he's only one guy on a pass route.  

The pass happy offenses are fun, they get you lots of W in the regular season, but when you play against the teams that have the athletes to cover you, and those teams play against teams in regular season in which they see pass first offenses, it becomes a problem.  If Richlands would have been a run first offense from 2004 to present, I think the Blues would have 2 more state titles, but they also would have a lot less wins in regular season in close type games because running first shortens the game.  But shortening the game matters when you play a team like Appomattox that has equal or better athletes.  Speaking of Appo the last half of a decade or so, they are run, run, and run first.  They aren't a drop back passing team.   They throw as a second option.  When 70 percent or more of your practice reps as an offensive line is pass protection and not run blocking at the 2A level like Richlands, it can spell trouble late in the playoffs.  It's why Giles has so many state titles, yet they have seasons sometimes with 4, 5 losses, but over the long haul, you will have more state titles.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

He had good games past two weeks. I think something like 70+ % completion rate. Not sure what his completed passes etc. was today. He seems like an athletic kid. I think he'll do better next year. It's hard learning a whole new system under a new coach. He doesn't do well out of the pocket under pressure but a lot of other HS QBs don't either. 

That's my point.  He should not be outside of the pocket and that's on the Richlands Coaches, the adults, not the kid and equally important, the WR's.  Ever notice when Graham plays Richlands the last 4 or so years the WR's aren't open as much as they are against Marion?   No offense to Marion, but Graham has had better athletes in the secondary to cover those 4 guys for Richlands on a pass route, so it's equally the WR's fault as it is the QB's fault but in all truth, it's on the coaches for placing these kids in this situation.  Richlands should have been gashing teams off tackle with the size they have.  I still think Thad Wells will adjust that offense over time.  He had great athletes at Blacksburg and they were still mostly run first.  I suspect next year, and even after that, you will see Richlands offense revert back to what you would see in the early 90's, or at least pre 2000.  I think that's a good thing for the Blues because that school has indeed had enough talent out of their 22 starters over the years to win some titles, and that's largely based on their lineplay/line talent that has been very impressive for a long time.   Ask Salem in 92, it wasn't about any cleats.  That's a joke.  I was there.  The punched Salem in the face from tackle to tackle all game, and would have done so on concrete, dirt, or asphalt.  Richlands needs to get back to that.  Look at Gate City when they were good over the years when they would go east and incredibly, a team like Gretna would touch the ball about 4 to 5 times per game!  That's how you win titles at the 2A level.  

Not to get off subject of Richlands and their QB or offense, etc, but that's going to catch Graham in my opinion if they don't stick with the run.  Appomattox, as Graham saw last year, you are not going to out athlete them and beat them in a passing game.  You beat them like Radford did a few years ago by running and controlling the clock and great defense.  Union, if they would have not given the freeby special teams plays, would have got Appo down in Big Stone as well.  Not that it's a cakewalk to beat an Appo because they are incredible, but if you do, it's not going to be by passing first.  It's simply not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, PCLR32 said:

That's my point.  He should not be outside of the pocket and that's on the Richlands Coaches, the adults, not the kid and equally important, the WR's.  Ever notice when Graham plays Richlands the last 4 or so years the WR's aren't open as much as they are against Marion?   No offense to Marion, but Graham has had better athletes in the secondary to cover those 4 guys for Richlands on a pass route, so it's equally the WR's fault as it is the QB's fault but in all truth, it's on the coaches for placing these kids in this situation.  Richlands should have been gashing teams off tackle with the size they have.  I still think Thad Wells will adjust that offense over time.  He had great athletes at Blacksburg and they were still mostly run first.  I suspect next year, and even after that, you will see Richlands offense revert back to what you would see in the early 90's, or at least pre 2000.  I think that's a good thing for the Blues because that school has indeed had enough talent out of their 22 starters over the years to win some titles, and that's largely based on their lineplay/line talent that has been very impressive for a long time.   Ask Salem in 92, it wasn't about any cleats.  That's a joke.  I was there.  The punched Salem in the face from tackle to tackle all game, and would have done so on concrete, dirt, or asphalt.  Richlands needs to get back to that.  Look at Gate City when they were good over the years when they would go east and incredibly, a team like Gretna would touch the ball about 4 to 5 times per game!  That's how you win titles at the 2A level.  

All valid points. 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

I feel mostly the same. When I was closer in age to the players, I would be a little more open to criticizing them but as I've aged,  I feel like the best policy is to tread very lightly when discussing the kids but not to hold back when it comes to coaches or other adults. 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

But think about who they played as well! 

Hokiefan4life that Kid playing QB for RICHLANDS... Knows the game of football better than grown men!  Who post on anonymous forums...behind stupid ussrnames....so... Let me tell u something.  that kid..  is Gavin Cox... Remember that name, cause he will be going somewhere.  At 6'8, 270...and can throw the football 70+ yards with pure ease...that's why he plays QB, learning Coach Well's coaching style, and dealing with a shortened season...I think "that kid" has killed it... And came pretty dang close to breaking school records, in first halves of games... So keep in mind when he breaks records during a full season, that you are the one making ridiculous comments.  And yeah I AM a PARENT!

16 minutes ago, Bluesparent said:

Hokiefan4life that Kid playing QB for RICHLANDS... Knows the game of football better than grown men!  Who post on anonymous forums...behind stupid ussrnames....so... Let me tell u something.  that kid..  is Gavin Cox... Remember that name, cause he will be going somewhere.  At 6'8, 270...and can throw the football 70+ yards with pure ease...that's why he plays QB, learning Coach Well's coaching style, and dealing with a shortened season...I think "that kid" has killed it... And came pretty dang close to breaking school records, in first halves of games... So keep in mind when he breaks records during a full season, that you are the one making ridiculous comments.  And yeah I AM a PARENT!

Is he a senior?

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Is he really 6'8 270lbs?

Yep.  Maybe a stretch on the height,  Looked 6-6ish to me, but being a junior the young man is still growing and may well have been 6-8 by the time Richlands season is over or near over (Ridgeview game).  

1 hour ago, Bluesparent said:

This doesn't help anything. Just makes it a bigger deal. Just let it go.  

Not many QBs at the next level at 6'8, 270lbs. If the kid is that big and wants to play at the next level, a position change might make sense.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Not many QBs at the next level at 6'8, 270lbs. If the kid is that big and wants to play at the next level, a position change might make sense.

His size and ability reminds me of a player from Knott County Central in KY a few years ago, Cameron Jones: big, strong, cannon of an arm, and moved well to be that size. Recruited as a 3/4* QB by a few programs including Cincinnati.  Hes playing TE now as a red shirt sophomore for the Bearcats and I imagine OL is in his future.