+1 / ROUND 1 game schedule / scores

VHSLhelper

12 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

What a game Richlands played today.  Congrats to Coach Tarter and staff.  They made some excellent adjustments at the half.  I was overjoyed to see Cox run the ball.  He showed today he can pick up good yardage.  Like what Coach Tarter said he told Cox early today, "if you see green in front of you run."  Proud of the Blues today.  

Also, congrats to the Wolfpack!!!  It seemed like a playoff game you were watching.  Of course, Beavers has that "Richlands football DNA."  I was impressed with him today.  

Nothing but respect for those young men. Lesser folks would have laid down and got blown out. Character builder that will serve them well on the field and in life. Props to both squads for playing so hard.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

You play the team in front of you, but if you think this same result happens with Graham having a full complement of players and adequate practice time, you need to pay a visit to 340 Bagley Circle, Marion, VA.  Graham played a game with one arm and one leg tied behind its back, and you needed a miracle to avoid OT.  It is what it plainly is.

From a fan of a school whose composite entities won 13 football state titles between them, I’d really expect better.

Lord I hate when people say Union fan base makes excuses

9 minutes ago, jonah58 said:

Honestly how do you not set the edge on that play? Looked like they gave up.

LOL, that's the kicker and funny part to me.  Union fans have talked about how well it was executed (and rightly so), but that AGAIN goes back to Graham and mental toughness.  Mental toughness is a certain character and concentration in ALL phases of the game, before the game starts and how you behave and during the game, preparation, etc.  Mental toughness or LACK of it is putting on the new shiney uniforms which may scare Lebanon (no offense) but they don't scare Union or Bluefield.  Worry should be in how you play and prepare, not how you look.  The 1950's through 1980's are over, you can no longer "fake out" a team on your last play with the old pitch left or pitch right and win the game from 60 yds out on the last play on a run UNLESS you are playing a team that doesn't seem to like concentrating on every play.  That's mental toughness.  You clearly tell your kids on defense to set the edge.  Those very under the table, little tiny letdowns in concentration that Graham is so prone to having caught up with them....again.   It's that simple.  You could see the emotion from Union's kids when they come out of the locker room.  You could see it when they were down 7-0 and driving on Graham that they wanted the game more.  Mental toughness or lack of it, the perfect example today on NFHS.

Congrats to Ridgeview and Richlands, great game by both teams!  Congrats to Union and Central and good luck and represent us well. G-Mens and Dawgs start swinging the bats. M-7 was ready to play, Coaches gotta have them ready to play because every game counts. 

49 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I wish these cameras could keep up with the ball.  Missed that one and Grahams first one

That kid made the DB's from Graham look like baddddddd. They only person who had a real shot at him downfield was the weak side DE. Very impressive run 

No excuses from this Graham fan.@GMan said earlier something about them hanging out last night. He's absolutely right. You can't stay out goofin off the night before a big playoff game. They took Union lightly. Union proceeded to smack us in the mouth. Anybody watching that game either on nfhs or in person that knows body language at all could tell Graham didn't want none. 

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

No excuses from this Graham fan.@GMan said earlier something about them hanging out last night. He's absolutely right. You can't stay out goofin off the night before a big playoff game. They took Union lightly. Union proceeded to smack us in the mouth. Anybody watching that game either on nfhs or in person that knows body language at all could tell Graham didn't want none. 

Yep!!! Life lesson learned the hard way. 

1 hour ago, PCLR32 said:

LOL, that's the kicker and funny part to me.  Union fans have talked about how well it was executed (and rightly so), but that AGAIN goes back to Graham and mental toughness.  Mental toughness is a certain character and concentration in ALL phases of the game, before the game starts and how you behave and during the game, preparation, etc.  Mental toughness or LACK of it is putting on the new shiney uniforms which may scare Lebanon (no offense) but they don't scare Union or Bluefield.  Worry should be in how you play and prepare, not how you look.  The 1950's through 1980's are over, you can no longer "fake out" a team on your last play with the old pitch left or pitch right and win the game from 60 yds out on the last play on a run UNLESS you are playing a team that doesn't seem to like concentrating on every play.  That's mental toughness.  You clearly tell your kids on defense to set the edge.  Those very under the table, little tiny letdowns in concentration that Graham is so prone to having caught up with them....again.   It's that simple.  You could see the emotion from Union's kids when they come out of the locker room.  You could see it when they were down 7-0 and driving on Graham that they wanted the game more.  Mental toughness or lack of it, the perfect example today on NFHS.

Dude, this is a pathetic post at best.  Graham did play with mental toughness, and probably has one of the most mental tough coaching staffs in the entire region.  I knew some dumb ass would come blame it on uniforms.  There are many towns across this region and state, that would love to have Grahams staff. Go sit back in your chair, and have another sip!  Yes, Union had great emotion today, and they played for it.  They read all week they didn’t have a chance, and went out and did it.  IT IS A GAME!  These are high school kids that faced a quarantine the entire 2 weeks, and dealt with adversity.  It is a life lesson, and they will learn from it.  

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah seems like we get it pretty good if we say stuff like that lol

No excuses here! Union came ready to play, “some” of Graham boys didn’t. I kept saying lack of preparation would affect Graham that’s not an excuse. I think some of them took game too lightly and Union meant business. Creds to Union! 

There are a few teams in this area you should never take lightly, and Union is at the top of that list. Why some of our players and fans thought this would be a cake walk is beyond me, especially when they hand us our ass every time the game is at Mitchell. Union played like they wanted it more and it showed. 

Graham was also out coached. Once Union discovered they could move the ball at will with the pitch it was game over. Congrats on a huge win, this G-Man wishes the Bears nothing but success the rest of the way. 

Hold your heads up G-Men! Next year has to potential to be very very special 

46 minutes ago, bgibb said:

There are a few teams in this area you should never take lightly, and Union is at the top of that list. Why some of our players and fans thought this would be a cake walk is beyond me, especially when they hand us our ass every time the game is at Mitchell. Union played like they wanted it more and it showed. 

Graham was also out coached. Once Union discovered they could move the ball at will with the pitch it was game over. Congrats on a huge win, this G-Man wishes the Bears nothing but success the rest of the way. 

Hold your heads up G-Men! Next year has to potential to be very very special 

I agree.  Graham is very young, only 4 seniors.  Games like this should be expected.  Perhaps expectations were a little too high with their recent success.  They should be very good by fall and hopefully will get a full season in and quarantines will be over.  They need to develop a QB and a Running Back.  Should be solid at most positions.  The SWD will be weak next season and that will not help Graham at all, however.  Scheduling Pulaski, Galax and GW were good moves  and will help prepare them for the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  Graham is very young, only 4 seniors.  Games like this should be expected.  Perhaps expectations were a little too high with their recent success.  They should be very good by fall and hopefully will get a full season in and quarantines will be over.  They need to develop a QB and a Running Back.  Should be solid at most positions.  The SWD will be weak next season and that will not help Graham at all, however.  Scheduling Pulaski, Galax and GW were good moves  and will help prepare them for the playoffs.

With Union young,Graham young and Central returning a bunch of kids this fall is going to be a slobberknocker:)

6 minutes ago, Unchained said:

With Union young,Graham young and Central returning a bunch of kids this fall is going to be a slobberknocker:)

Next 2 or 3 years gonna be fun.  Hopefully Appomattox let's someone else win one.  I think they should try 3a and see if they like it