Thad Wells

Friday Night Lights

Aren’t D1 programs in the midst of spring practice right now?  The situation sucks for the kids but if football had been played during actual football season, this would be a non-issue.  This is another instance where COVID has wreaked havoc on everyday life. 

44 minutes ago, BristolPistol78 said:

Reminds me of Brian Lee who coached 1 game at Battle and resigned after Steve Wright had so much success there. Super classy move!

I've been trying to figure out what happened with Brian Lee for the last 6 years, it was such a weird circumstance 

I have no problem with Coach Wells leaving for another job. Hasn't it been apparent that he wants to coach at a "higher" level? My only complaint is why would he announce it now instead of Monday? Finish your current gig and move on.

If you listen to his post it sounds like Ringstaff(principal) and Stacy(superintendent) basically told him to go on. In hindsight he probably wishes he had kept it under his hat until after the game today to tell them. 

If in fact that's the way it played out it certainly didn't make him look good in the public's eye. It is what it is at this point. This is hard for the program no matter what. Probably a good thing it was a shortened season and not too much time was invested.

7 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

If you listen to his post it sounds like Ringstaff(principal) and Stacy(superintendent) basically told him to go on. In hindsight he probably wishes he had kept it under his hat until after the game today to tell them. 

If in fact that's the way it played out it certainly didn't make him look good in the public's eye. It is what it is at this point. This is hard for the program no matter what. Probably a good thing it was a shortened season and not too much time was invested.

I read the same thing from that. Either way his legacy had been left there for better or worse. 

Wells sacrificed his reputation for the good of Blue Tornado football. No one wants to follow a legend, well he did and then bailed. Now the next guy can be the coach that followed the jacksss. Much easier to succeed under those circumstances. 

Im not saying that's what I believe(I don't really care) or that's what's happened, but its one way to look at it. He obviously wanted to move on all along so why come back home just to become a villian? Basically the ending of The Dark Knight Rises. Thad Wells is Batman

25 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I have no problem with Coach Wells leaving for another job. Hasn't it been apparent that he wants to coach at a "higher" level? My only complaint is why would he announce it now instead of Monday? Finish your current gig and move on.

Exactly! Maybe he doesn’t deserve all the trash talking he’s received the past 24 hours but it could have been partially curtailed if he would have held that letter until Monday. I’m sure UVA wouldn’t have minded if he showed up Monday afternoon rather than Sunday. He did himself no favors with the timing and Ringstaff/Stacey compounded the situation. Yeah, he looks like the bad guy but I wish him well and hope the Blue “Tornado” find a coach that’s a good fit for them who will stay more than one season to rebuild the program.  

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Exactly! Maybe he doesn’t deserve all the trash talking he’s received the past 24 hours but it could have been partially curtailed if he would have held that letter until Monday. I’m sure UVA wouldn’t have minded if he showed up Monday afternoon rather than Sunday. He did himself no favors with the timing and Ringstaff/Stacey compounded the situation. Yeah, he looks like the bad guy but I wish him well and hope the Blue “Tornado” find a coach that’s a good fit for them who will stay more than one season to rebuild the program.  

As long as it's not Snake or Davis lol

6 minutes ago, GMan said:

Going 0-2 in the county is a nice legacy to leave...

I've kept totally quiet about all this with Wells from day one, but I never felt good about the hire. A simple search of his Twitter and Facebook feeds is a clear indicator of his intentions and interests all along. I don't know him personally,  but wish him the best. 

51 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

As far as their spring season goes, UVA-Wise is done with on the field stuff.  I'm sure recruiting is ramping up, but one more day as Richland's coach wouldn't have mattered.  This appears to be more of an administrative decision than anything, and to us common fans, we don't know what has happened in conversations and behind the scenes.  

4 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

As far as their spring season goes, UVA-Wise is done with on the field stuff.  I'm sure recruiting is ramping up, but one more day as Richland's coach wouldn't have mattered.  This appears to be more of an administrative decision than anything, and to us common fans, we don't know what has happened in conversations and behind the scenes.  

He’s going to UVA (Charlottesville) but yeah, I think they wouldn’t have minded if he resigned on Monday at Richlands & showed up later in the week at Charlottesville. Bad timing but good luck to him. 

Program builder- no , resume builder -yes . Richlands knew who they were getting, maybe they expected at least 2 years. Richlands should at least look at Eastside , coach Rhoads, after all he has built that program up and had their number when he was the D coach at Union

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

He’s going to UVA (Charlottesville) but yeah, I think they wouldn’t have minded if he resigned on Monday at Richlands & showed up later in the week at Charlottesville. Bad timing but good luck to him. 

Another post said he was going to UVA-Wise, so that's what I was going on, big difference then.  If I was an administrator, I might have been more apt to let him stay for one more day if he was going to a D1 school.

Best wishes to Thad Wells.  I could never fault a coach for wanting to move on to bigger and better things, or climb up the ladder when an opportunity were to present itself.  Thad Wells would not have been offered the position if he were not successful in his past, and that past included hard work.  He told the principal at Richlands immediately when he decided to take the position and that's what you are supposed to do.  The decision for him to move on and not coach the Ridgeview game was the Principal's, not his.  Folks, we are talking about UVA here, not Wise.  This is a big deal.  Richlands folks should be incredibly happy for guy who is coaching at a FBS-BCS school.  That's an incredible opportunity and he would have to be a fool to turn that down.  He's going to quadruple his pay.  

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m out of reactions but yes! We’ll keep those two former Blues’ coaches!  No take backs, lol! 😂

We want them both back. I have known both for 35 years and both are highly respected here still. #bring back the raven connection.