Thad Wells

Friday Night Lights

7 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Exactly! Maybe he doesn’t deserve all the trash talking he’s received the past 24 hours but it could have been partially curtailed if he would have held that letter until Monday. I’m sure UVA wouldn’t have minded if he showed up Monday afternoon rather than Sunday. He did himself no favors with the timing and Ringstaff/Stacey compounded the situation. Yeah, he looks like the bad guy but I wish him well and hope the Blue “Tornado” find a coach that’s a good fit for them who will stay more than one season to rebuild the program.  

I am convinced this move is nothing but a massive cosmic joke to require me to support Thad Wells.

19 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I am convinced this move is nothing but a massive cosmic joke to require me to support Thad Wells.

Right up there with trying to make me say good luck to Justin McKoy.  Not happening homie.  Never wishing good luck to a Tar Hole.  Good health, yes.  Other than that, have fun losing to UVa the majority of the rest of your career, if not all of it.

33 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Can anyone confirm if Tarter leaving is also true? 

I have to think RHS is going to try and get Ronnie Davis to take over, but who knows if he would want it 

Tarter and Altizer are both done after today. Both were staying until their sons graduated.

Frum Marz out slidar Id Luks likes dis .... blew tenader fellers be lacks n talent fo sum time. Plus the hepping staff is nut dare. Fad cided run to oranger pastures.      

translation:   The Dawgs are barking . The wind is calm.  The era of winning very well could be history. Good run .

go ears 

1 hour ago, Dookthecook said:

Frum Marz out slidar Id Luks likes dis .... blew tenader fellers be lacks n talent fo sum time. Plus the hepping staff is nut dare. Fad cided run to oranger pastures.      

translation:   The Dawgs are barking . The wind is calm.  The era of winning very well could be history. Good run .

go ears 

I like this new "translation" feature. 

14 hours ago, V-Cats said:

I have to think RHS is going to try and get Ronnie Davis to take over

I think there’s probably a couple prominent individuals who will decide whom they want to take over, one of them being a daddy of a player and works at central office. I doubt they’ll hand pick any former defensive coordinators for the Blues. I could be wrong. 

Congrats to Thad for improving his career, do not blame him in the slightest.  Understandably the timing was terrible, but also understand his decision to go.  I think he was expected to report to the new position today, and everything had to move fast for that to happen.  I hope all involved in naming a replacement will take time to review all applicants and not rush into this decision.  I for one would like to see a different route taken in this decision.  I think it would help the program to bring in an outsider to fill the position.  I know everyone has their opinion, and most have someone in mind, but maybe someone out of our immediate area could shake everything up in a good way.  Our school system is so politically polluted, with my friend this and your friend that, it may be good to install someone who is not attached to any of those in our area, but just a good football coach with a good heart, and good reputation in working with young people.  This may seem to many as an impossibility, but imo it might be best.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Congrats to Thad for improving his career, do not blame him in the slightest.  Understandably the timing was terrible, but also understand his decision to go.  I think he was expected to report to the new position today, and everything had to move fast for that to happen.  I hope all involved in naming a replacement will take time to review all applicants and not rush into this decision.  I for one would like to see a different route taken in this decision.  I think it would help the program to bring in an outsider to fill the position.  I know everyone has their opinion, and most have someone in mind, but maybe someone out of our immediate area could shake everything up in a good way.  Our school system is so politically polluted, with my friend this and your friend that, it may be good to install someone who is not attached to any of those in our area, but just a good football coach with a good heart, and good reputation in working with young people.  This may seem to many as an impossibility, but imo it might be best.

I agree a complete outsider would be best; loves football, loves kids, good reputation, etc. plus someone who doesn’t know or hasn’t worked under current administration of RHS. Let’s face it, no coach wants to deal with that mess.  

3 hours ago, Friday Night Lights said:

I wonder how soon of an announcement will come? I mean you start your season in around 10-11 weeks. 

That's the one thing that I find most curious about this situation.  Given the very public manner in which Coach Wells had to separate from Richlands, I would have expected some kind of corresponding hiring announcement from Charlottesville.  Relying solely on Google, I have yet to see anything like that.

Also curious about the nature of the position itself that he is taking.  A quick visit to the official athletics site at UVa provides a listing of the football staff.  I see several "analyst" positions listed but no obvious vacancies related to position coaching.

31 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

That's the one thing that I find most curious about this situation.  Given the very public manner in which Coach Wells had to separate from Richlands, I would have expected some kind of corresponding hiring announcement from Charlottesville.  Relying solely on Google, I have yet to see anything like that.

Also curious about the nature of the position itself that he is taking.  A quick visit to the official athletics site at UVa provides a listing of the football staff.  I see several "analyst" positions listed but no obvious vacancies related to position coaching.

A lot of times they don’t post positions. 

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Have to be careful with bringing people from outside, tendency to jump ship. Unless some sort of ties to the area. 

1 hour ago, Friday Night Lights said:

Have to be careful with bringing people from outside, tendency to jump ship. Unless some sort of ties to the area. 

Don't totally agree with that, but can see your point.  I still say it's time to bring in someone who is not connected to the area, and I'm sure there will be several applicants for this position. The major problem in our area is hiring a head coach and expecting him to keep all the assistant coaches on board, tying his hands right away.  You often can not change the system to your way of coaching, unless you build your own system, and that may mean changing the assistant coaches, and bringing in coaches who will bye into your scheme of things.  I know some already established assistants may bye into the new coaches scheme, but to often we have a tendency to revert back to what we are comfortable with, so to me it's time for a BIG BIG CHANGE!!

Who was the Richlands coach who walked over to Ridgeview's side when their player was injured?  The announcers on NFHS were highly commending him for this.  

I thought it was either Brandon Compton or Bull Horn.  Not sure.  

Compton is a Richlands alum and has been the DC this year under Wells.  I wonder if he would throw his hat in the ring or will he move on since Coach Wells has?

26 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

Who was the Richlands coach who walked over to Ridgeview's side when their player was injured?  The announcers on NFHS were highly commending him for this.  

I thought it was either Brandon Compton or Bull Horn.  Not sure.  

Compton is a Richlands alum and has been the DC this year under Wells.  I wonder if he would throw his hat in the ring or will he move on since Coach Wells has?

It was Bull.