Union vs Central Region D Championship

Gridiron60

3 hours ago, jonah58 said:

This is a game that Central cannot look past. It's hard to beat any Union/PV/Appy team twice in the same year. They are aware of this. I'm glad it's at home and not bullit park lol

Fun fact: only two programs have ever beaten Powell Valley twice in one season. Those were Pennington in 1987. Also Gate City in 2003, 2008, and 2009. 

For Appalachia , the two programs to do it were Burton in 90, 05, and 06. Then Clintwood in 07. 

No team has ever beaten Union twice in same season. But unfortunately, that will probably happen. 

33 minutes ago, rsntu88 said:

Fun fact: only two programs have ever beaten Powell Valley twice in one season. Those were Pennington in 1987. Also Gate City in 2003, 2008, and 2009. 

For Appalachia , the two programs to do it were Burton in 90, 05, and 06. Then Clintwood in 07. 

No team has ever beaten Union twice in same season. But unfortunately, that will probably happen. 

Certainly no easy task that stands in front of Central for sure. 

1 hour ago, rsntu88 said:

Haysi would have beaten the Vikings twice in 91, but PV didn't make it to the rematch game

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Both teams have been susceptible to giving up the big play this season.  Other than that, Central's defense has been very tough to score on.

I'm not sure Central has been susceptible to the big play? 🤔

They gave up one play vs Tazewell. One big play was vs JV... 

What's the other big plays? None vs Ridgeview.  None vs Abingdon. Zero vs Gate City.... maybe I have missed some....?

2 hours ago, jonah58 said:

What's the other big plays? None vs Ridgeview.  None vs Abingdon. Zero vs Gate City.... maybe I have missed some....?

I tend to agree with this after watching some of Central’s games on NFHS. I look for a good game though. I still think Central wins and I predict 44 from Union gets ejected. Not sour grapes but that kid should have been ejected yesterday. He’s a loose cannon. He ripped a Graham player’s helmet off and then took a swing at the same kid later. He shouldn’t even by playing against Central IMO. 

6 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I'm now strangely confident Union has a shot and could win. Wonder why?

No one should count Union out ever, lol. Just because I say, “I think Central wins” doesn’t mean they will. Anything can happen in the playoffs. But go ahead, why? 😂

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

No one should count Union out ever, lol. Just because I say, “I think Central wins” doesn’t mean they will. Anything can happen in the playoffs. But go ahead, why? 😂

Nah man not you at all. I'm gonna play nice and just say if a betting man was fading someone else's proclamations about local sports over the last six months or so, they'd be wealthier than they started lol

18 hours ago, jonah58 said:

What about Jordan scoring in third qt. That was big play.

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

no Union without Lee

Lee county/Pennington Gap has decided that there will be no little league this year. Those kids are all playing in BIG STONE GAP, and lets face it , in many cases its closer to come to BIG STONE GAP than it is to PENNINGTON GAP, or in high school to BEN HUR.I think that these kids playing L.L in the GAP will be kids at UNION SOME DAY

17 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Imagine that Central trying to be like Union. This time the fan base. I guess I should be flattered. Now the only question is will mine be allowed into Walmart stadium say aisle 13 or 14.

If you can’t beat them, join them?

Imitation is the greatest  form of flattery? 

Choo! Choo! 🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

51 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If you can’t beat them, join them?

Imitation is the greatest  form of flattery? 

Choo! Choo! 🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

Giles and GC both used horns in some fashion for years before Union did it, not sure Union fans can take credit for that.

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Giles and GC both used horns in some fashion for years before Union did it, not sure Union fans can take credit for that.

The first school I remember was Gate City in the 1970s. I believe it was a steam engine train whistle either on a flatbed truck or trailer. GC dominated the 10 team SWD throughout the decade. The train horn was loud, intimidating, and menacing. You could also use those same adjectives to describe Blue Devil fans who circled Legion's track while taunting both the visiting team's bench and their fans.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The first school I remember was Gate City in the 1970s. I believe it was a steam engine train whistle either on a flatbed truck or trailer. GC dominated the 10 team SWD throughout the decade. The train horn was loud, intimidating, and menacing. You could also use those same adjectives to describe Blue Devil fans who circled Legion's track while taunting both the visiting team's bench and their fans.

Oh for sure. I remember the GC horn growing up in the 90s, I also remember having to sit in the stands with GC fans over there and at times it wasn't the most pleasant place to be lol

On 4/12/2021 at 3:21 AM, Burrall’s Pearls said:

Just woke up from celebrating the state basketball title. I see we are playing for region football championship too? 

What a charmed life we live in BSG.

"Woke up", you mean sobered up?