Union vs Central Region D Championship

Gridiron60

Union came out in their base 4 front, and Central moved the ball at will. When they switched to a 5, the onslaught stopped and it was tough for either side to move the football. Expecting them to come back out in a 5, and it be a low scoring affair. 20-14 either way. 

13 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Not sure I think they were all run plays though.

You're right I'm not sure where I got that from. Maybe the game Wise played v. RV, or I just totally made it up. Everything blends together any more

15 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

I believe it was last year or year before last Union blowed it the whole first half when Richlands was at the LOS. 

Yeah that kind of started the whole mess. It may have been the 2017 playoff game but I can't say 100%. if not it was def the 2019 game in BSG. Union won pretty easily but I know the Blues faithful weren't happy at all with it blaring while they were on offense at LOS.

20 hours ago, BigWinners said:

lolol yessssss, that means someone decided to register, pick a name and start posting because someone was in their feels about a horn. A horn.

That's priceless. I may print and 

I hit copy by mistake.

18 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

I believe it was last year or year before last Union blowed it the whole first half when Richlands was at the LOS. 

This is probably why a lot of people hate that horn. I'm all for it at various times throughout the game especially if your team scores but grown men blowing it incessantly while the other team is huddled & then  at the line of scrimmage seems a bit much. Others may disagree and that’s your prerogative. I can remember Cam Allen not even been phased at all by it but not every HS QB has the composure that he did at that game in BSG. 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:02 AM, Westisthebest said:

Thats illegal isnt it?

Shouldn't be!  If a band is not allowed to be playing during huddles and at the LOS then something like a train horn shouldn't be. 

Cowbells and screaming fans is perfectly fine but something like that is a "one man wrecking crew" for communication on the field. 

4 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Thats illegal isnt it?

At that time, no. There was no VHSL rule against it. I've heard they were going to add that to the sportsmanship rule along with the band playing once the offense gets to the line of scrimmage, but I haven't seen anything further, so not sure if the change was made.

34 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

At that time, no. There was no VHSL rule against it. I've heard they were going to add that to the sportsmanship rule along with the band playing once the offense gets to the line of scrimmage, but I haven't seen anything further, so not sure if the change was made.

My understanding is that there is a "right to hear the cadence" rule that is open to interpretation for the officials. It's designed to prevent the defense from shouting "false cadence" that may cause the offense to false start. I know that the rule has been interpreted as "the stadium is too loud" in college before (see the Earthquake game between LSU and Auburn in '88), and I recall two different occasions where Mance successfully had the game paused when Richlands played at Marion due to a train passing the stadium.

Maybe it's just an unwritten courtesy thing as opposed to being put in writing, but I have seen it occur before.

14 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

My understanding is that there is a "right to hear the cadence" rule that is open to interpretation for the officials. It's designed to prevent the defense from shouting "false cadence" that may cause the offense to false start. I know that the rule has been interpreted as "the stadium is too loud" in college before (see the Earthquake game between LSU and Auburn in '88), and I recall two different occasions where Mance successfully had the game paused when Richlands played at Marion due to a train passing the stadium.

Maybe it's just an unwritten courtesy thing as opposed to being put in writing, but I have seen it occur before.

Interesting about the train going by. Would have never thought about that. I did do a search and found this. Guess they added it. One note of difference..."live ball" is defined differently for the band than it is for an amplified noise maker.

54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during
live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL
Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defined as excessive unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fine).

Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the offense breaking the huddle or for no huddle offenses when the offense begins getting into a
formation.

54-19-1 Artificially and/or Amplified Noisemakers-The use of artificially and/or amplified noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns,
amplified guitar note or riff ) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event.
Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive
Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).

Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball being handled by the snapper.

6 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Interesting about the train going by. Would have never thought about that. I did do a search and found this. Guess they added it. One note of difference..."live ball" is defined differently for the band than it is for an amplified noise maker.

54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during
live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL
Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defined as excessive unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fine).

Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the offense breaking the huddle or for no huddle offenses when the offense begins getting into a
formation.

54-19-1 Artificially and/or Amplified Noisemakers-The use of artificially and/or amplified noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns,
amplified guitar note or riff ) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event.
Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive

Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball being handled by the snapper.

I have two problems with the rules stated.  First it should be treated equally the same and no different for the band vs noise makers.  A sudden noise is much more distracting than the band playing something.  Secondly, I have been at many games that the band starts playing and it carries through several plays.  So there isn't even equal enforcement.

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

formation.

That makes perfect sense as to why it has seemed like a lot of bands aren't playing as often during a game as they used to. They can be penalized for playing after the huddle is broken, and for no huddle teams, that can be almost immediately after the play. It would seem that the roles should probably be reversed, with the band able to play during the pre-snap cadence and artificial noisemakers being prohibited.

Either way, it's better than the old NCAA rule where a team could be penalized if their fans were making too much noise during pre-snap cadence. 

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I have two problems with the rules stated.  First it should be treated equally the same and no different for the band vs noise makers.  A sudden noise is much more distracting than the band playing something.  Secondly, I have been at many games that the band starts playing and it carries through several plays.  So there isn't even equal enforcement.

1 minute ago, Plywood_King said:

That makes perfect sense as to why it has seemed like a lot of bands aren't playing as often during a game as they used to. They can be penalized for playing after the huddle is broken, and for no huddle teams, that can be almost immediately after the play. It would seem that the roles should probably be reversed, with the band able to play during the pre-snap cadence and artificial noisemakers being prohibited.

Either way, it's better than the old NCAA rule where a team could be penalized if their fans were making too much noise during pre-snap cadence. 

Definitely odd that they are not enforced the same way. Unless they think it's easier to suddenly turn off an artificial noise than 50 teenagers. 🙃

I noticed that Graham's band played almost continuously the entire game. At first, I thought they were just doing it when Union was on offense, but then realized they did the same while Graham had the ball too. Don't know of any other around here that plays so much during a game.

If they start banning cowbells and yelling, they might as well not have fans there either.

46 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

formation.

This has never been enforced. As a former member of a drumline in an SWVA school, we deliberately played certain (loud) cadences when the opposing team was about to snap the ball to be as loud as possible. There would be times on crucial plays where we just beat the absolute crap out of our drums, being as obnoxious as we possibly could. I can remember other schools doing it as well. It's never been enforced. Or maybe there is a difference between the drumline playing and the entire band playing.

Now, I think our football team won 5 games in my 4 year band career, so either it didn't effect the other team, or people felt sorry enough to not report us. I have a feeling if you get beat by 35+ it probably doesn't need to be reported.

1 minute ago, -oo- said:

This has never been enforced. As a former member of a drumline in an SWVA school, we deliberately played certain (loud) cadences when the opposing team was about to snap the ball to be as loud as possible. There would be times on crucial plays where we just beat the absolute crap out of our drums, being as obnoxious as we possibly could. I can remember other schools doing it as well. It's never been enforced. Or maybe there is a difference between the drumline playing and the entire band playing.

Now, I think our football team won 5 games in my 4 year band career, so either it didn't effect the other team, or people felt sorry enough to not report us. I have a feeling if you get beat by 35+ it probably doesn't need to be reported.

Agree with that as well but then you get an incident like Union at Graham and it creates a real stink and bad look..

Also if I remember correctly, didn't Appo stop teams from bringing stuff to them as well?

3 minutes ago, -oo- said:

I think the band rule is relatively new. I remember it being a topic of discussion at one of the Union home games because the visiting team was complaining. Maybe Stuart's Draft in 2012??

I don't think it's enforced much, and even if it were, the list of punishments are start out with a warning.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Agree with that as well but then you get an incident like Union at Graham and it creates a real stink and bad look..

Also if I remember correctly, didn't Appo stop teams from bringing stuff to them as well?

Appo did not stop them, but rather insisted proper use be adhered to. The refs for the graham playoff game spoke to the band directors of both teams and warned flags would be thrown.

24 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Appo did not stop them, but rather insisted proper use be adhered to. The refs for the graham playoff game spoke to the band directors of both teams and warned flags would be thrown.

I don't have a problem as much as it is evenly enforced but at the same time it's part of the atmosphere but have a bit of class about it.

Graham had an issue over air horns or something of the nature that the police were sent over on.  Somebody from Union can help me out to remember the exact scenario.

gonna go out on a limb here and say that more than 75% of every game in the past 30 years probably has/had a band playing all through a game.  that's part of the atmosphere, NOISE!  Train horns are not everyone's cup of tea, don't sit near them just as you can choose not to sit by the band, B.O., or in-laws.  I'm not certain any kid has ever said I can't stand a loud game while they were playing.  Winners will not complain about factors they can't control during a game but losers on the other hand sometimes have trouble accepting the fact it may have been their fault they didn't perform their best and got beat.  So why not blame the noise level?  makes sense!

"I missed my block because the drumline in the bleachers"  "I knew the count and could see the ball but jumped anyway because of a horn 100yards away" "I forgot to read my key because they were stomping in the bleachers"

A real problem would occur if they played a noise like "Rocky Top"  lol

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

gonna go out on a limb here and say that more than 75% of every game in the past 30 years probably has/had a band playing all through a game.  that's part of the atmosphere, NOISE!  Train horns are not everyone's cup of tea, don't sit near them just as you can choose not to sit by the band, B.O., or in-laws.  I'm not certain any kid has ever said I can't stand a loud game while they were playing.  Winners will not complain about factors they can't control during a game but losers on the other hand sometimes have trouble accepting the fact it may have been their fault they didn't perform their best and got beat.  So why not blame the noise level?  makes sense!

"I missed my block because the drumline in the bleachers"  "I knew the count and could see the ball but jumped anyway because of a horn 100yards away" "I forgot to read my key because they were stomping in the bleachers"

If anything it should really be open season for the home stadium.  I can understand not letting the away team bring some big noise device but home field should be able to have most anything they want.

36 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Yea, Giles was told they could blow it on scores and when the team came out I think.  

Miss that horn as long as it's used correctly.

7 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Yea, Giles was told they could blow it on scores and when the team came out I think.  

Miss that horn as long as it's used correctly.

Last time I went to a game in Giles, that horn blew like a 3 year old with a giant bottle of bubbles. 

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You had me in the choir until the Rocky Top comment! haha

10 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

If anything it should really be open season for the home stadium.  I can understand not letting the away team bring some big noise device but home field should be able to have most anything they want.

Within reason I agree with you (or at least  use to agree with you...before these flop deals for homefield advantage)

I love a good atmosphere but I have to agree Train horns while a team is on the line is too much.  A team could have ONLY ONE fan in the stands and if he has a train horn he alone can screw up a team from calls at the LOS.  Now a groupd of fans with bells and screaming...Yea, allow every bit of that!!!  That's what you want for your team!!

Now I have a problem with the "let the home team do what they want come the last two rounds of the playoffs this year.  I HATE the idea that a low team can host for the mere reason that the other region hosted last year.  Homefield should be the highest rated team at that point. This year even even is worse that one team will host the state championship.!!!!    With this I say both teams should be allowed to bring a horn, band, whatever they want to at least try to level the playing field for the visiting team.