Radford needs a coach, too

VHSLhelper

More info...

BREAKING:

head coach Matthew Saunders tells WDBJ7 that he has resigned his position as the Bobcats' head football coach after 14 seasons. Saunders says he still plans to teach, but that "it is time for someone else to be the head coach at Radford."

great state

Roanoke Times article he's quoted as saying he's been thinking about it for the last 3 years...   been in coaching for 30 years...  wanted to go out when this group of seniors graduated...  has HS age kids and feels the need to adjust his priorities and family time...  maybe not necessarily done with coaching, just time for someone else to be the coach at Radford.

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Roanoke Times article he's quoted as saying he's been thinking about it for the last 3 years...   been in coaching for 30 years...  wanted to go out when this group of seniors graduated...  has HS age kids and feels the need to adjust his priorities and family time...  maybe not necessarily done with coaching, just time for someone else to be the coach at Radford.

Makes sense, although I guess his HS age kids are girls/aren't football players, I can't imagine him leaving now if his kid was a soph or something still on the team.

6 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:
Breaking - Matthew Saunders has stepped down as the Head Football Coach at Radford High School, he tells Rodney Young (@yjake ) of @VaPrepsRivals.

Saunders went 96-65 overall in 14 seasons at the helm of the Bobcats, including 11 playoff trips.

Can't believe it has been 14 years since Norm Lineburg.

I was surprised it took this long to hit the news.  He told the kids in the locker room after the Appo game.   As for timing, last year was supposed to be the state championship year but with the loss of 2 all-state and 2 all-region players to injuries, there just wasn't enough depth.  They exceeded expectations the year before that.  That group had dominated all through rec and JV.  This senior class was pretty special but had several kids who decided not to play.  I'm sure he wanted to see what he could do with and for them.  Next year the team will have talent but will be really young.  Matthew is a really good person and has been coaching for 30 years so I'm sure he has had plenty.  Sometimes you just need a break.    I'm concerned about who they get to replace him.  I personally don't have much faith in the Radford AD.

I cant see Saunders being done for good; I think his name will bounce around a couple places if not this year in the near future.  Radford has bad some of the worst luck with injuries and a poor administration the past few years....it finally took a toll on him I think; a year or so off (maybe) he'll be back out there somewhere.

3 minutes ago, RadCat said:

I was surprised it took this long to hit the news.  He told the kids in the locker room after the Appo game.   As for timing, last year was supposed to be the state championship year but with the loss of 2 all-state and 2 all-region players to injuries, there just wasn't enough depth.  They exceeded expectations the year before that.  That group had dominated all through rec and JV.  This senior class was pretty special but had several kids who decided not to play.  I'm sure he wanted to see what he could do with and for them.  Next year the team will have talent but will be really young.  Matthew is a really good person and has been coaching for 30 years so I'm sure he has had plenty.  Sometimes you just need a break.    I'm concerned about who they get to replace him.  I personally don't have much faith in the Radford AD.

I bet you have more faith in the Radford AD than I do in the giles AD....which is none by the way

Solution for Richlands coaching vacancy ,Simon takes WV Retirement , takes the  RHS coaching position for at least 5 years and then is eligible for VA  VRS ! NO BRAINER - The Beavers  have a good shot at another State Championship! Just Dreaming!