COVID hits Burton

jarhead24219

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

I dont understand how these decisions are being made. I guess the "within 6' for 15 minutes" guideline means absolutely nothing

It’s a big crock as far as whole teams having to quarantine like this in my opinion. I know coaches have died but I bet if we researched individual instances, those who did get it, didn’t contract it at practice from players. I’d say more likely from family, work, etc. If you follow the science, kids are unlikely to pass it to adults and kids have a 99.999999% recovery rate. At some point things have to get back to some semblance of normalcy. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

It’s a big crock as far as whole teams having to quarantine like this in my opinion. I know coaches have died but I bet if we researched individual instances, those who did get it, didn’t contract it at practice from players. I’d say more likely from family, work, etc. If you follow the science, kids are unlikely to pass it to adults and kids have a 99.999999% recovery rate. At some point things have to get back to some semblance of normalcy. 

Hazard, KY would disagree with you-it spreads very quickly and easily in a locker room enclosed environment 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree with you as we need to get back to some sorta normalcy but where have you seen that kids are unlikely to pass it to adults

21 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Hazard, KY would disagree with you-it spreads very quickly and easily in a locker room enclosed environment 

Schools/teams have to be vigilant to mitigate the spread including locker rooms & weight rooms. Of course, it can spread but we need to get back to a more normal for these kids. They have been robbed of so much. Some suffering irreparable damage, socially, emotionally, physically, & educationally. The ramifications of these lockdowns, restrictions, virtual learning won’t truly be known for years to come. 

27 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I agree with you as we need to get back to some sorta normalcy but where have you seen that kids are unlikely to pass it to adults

I’ve seen several virologists and other doctors interviewed on the topic as well as several articles. Can a kid spread it, probably in some instances but much less likely than adult fo adult transmission. Does that mean, we don’t take precautions, no. At some point, life has to go on as normal as possible though.

29 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’ve seen several virologists and other doctors interviewed on the topic as well as several articles. Can a kid spread it, probably in some instances but much less likely than adult fo adult transmission. Does that mean, we don’t take precautions, no. At some point, life has to go on as normal as possible though.

Kids-meaning 12 and under...not virtual adults like what are in a high school football locker room.  The science is pretty clear that it spreads the quickest in low ventilated areas that are tightly populated. I would agree that on the field it isn’t very likely to spread, but in a locker room is a completely different story. 

Also, while I am very sad for our kids-this idea of “they have been robbed of so much” is not in line with the messaging that we usually provide to our youth. We tell them that they aren’t promised tomorrow and that they have to be able to handle adversity, but then we lose our minds and claim it will scar them for life because they miss a season of a high school sport, or a year of school?!? Some perspective is probably in order here. 

47 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Some perspective is probably in order here. 

I agree, perspective is in order and we obviously have a different one which is no biggie. We can agree to disagree.

There’s so much more than “a season” or “a year of year”. Unfortunately, not every kid has a support system to help him or her navigate a pandemic successfully. There are some divisions in Virginia where kids have not stepped foot in an actual school building since last March. For a lot of kids school is their safe place; it’s where they get the only hot meal of the day they eat; it’s where qualified professionals recognize signs of neglect, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse-the list goes on. How many special needs kids are not getting what they need via virtual schooling?  How many kids have fallen so far behind academically that they have no hope of catching up. To gloss over the deeper issues concerning lockdowns, restrictions, and virtual school is a bit short sighted. I stand by my statement that the “true ramifications of this past year on our (some) children will not be known for years.” Now, the children of the June Cleavers or Carol Brady’s will be fine, learn life’s not fair, and carry on; a lot won’t be scarred for life. That point I can concede to you, my friend. But for a population of kids that’s not true. 

Hopefully, all schools will be five days a week in the fall and activities as normal as possible. 

10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree, perspective is in order and we obviously have a different one which is no biggie. We can agree to disagree.

There’s so much more than “a season” or “a year of year”. Unfortunately, not every kid has a support system to help him or her navigate a pandemic successfully. There are some divisions in Virginia where kids have not stepped foot in an actual school building since last March. For a lot of kids school is their safe place; it’s where they get the only hot meal of the day they eat; it’s where qualified professionals recognize signs of neglect, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse-the list goes on. How many special needs kids are not getting what they need via virtual schooling?  How many kids have fallen so far behind academically that they have no hope of catching up. To gloss over the deeper issues concerning lockdowns, restrictions, and virtual school is a bit short sighted. I stand by my statement that the “true ramifications of this past year on our (some) children will not be known for years.” Now, the children of the June Cleavers or Carol Brady’s will be fine, learn life’s not fair, and carry on; a lot won’t be scarred for life. That point I can concede to you, my friend. But for a population of kids that’s not true. 

Hopefully, all schools will be five days a week in the fall and activities as normal as possible. 

I 1000% agree that there are some real effects of lockdowns that we are going to have to contend with-particularly when it comes to the high risk kids that you speak of. However, more people have died from COVID in the US than died in WW2...that’s the kind of death toll we are looking at here, so imagine what it could have been had we not mitigated (or how much loss we could have prevented if we had handled it better).

The high risk kids you speak of are also the kids most likely to be living with grandparents/extended family.  While the virus may not have a lot of impact on kids physiologically-if they carry it home to the highest risk category...things could have been brutal.  Just think back to December when hundreds of people were dying/hospitalized in our rural area and our hospitals were stressed to the maximum. 

Anyway, to get back on track, I’m sick for Burton’s kids-absolutely heartbreaking for them, but it was a possibility for every team that played this season-like someone said above...along the lines of Russian roulette. 

It’s a tough situation for sure. But, covid affects kids, too. A couple days before the Burton/Twin Springs game, a student from Twin Springs died from it. When you put it in that perspective, a game isn’t very important. It sucks that kids’ participation in sports is being impacted, but it is what it is for now.

1 hour ago, sup_rbeast said:

It’s a tough situation for sure. But, covid affects kids, too. A couple days before the Burton/Twin Springs game, a student from Twin Springs died from it. When you put it in that perspective, a game isn’t very important. It sucks that kids’ participation in sports is being impacted, but it is what it is for now.

Exactly...anyone any age can die from it...is that worth a game?

36 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Yes!!!!  It is worth living our lives. What is having a life if you don't live your life? I refuse to live my life in fear. 

Ooh ooh I love these people.  

Did you know only about 80 people per year due from shark attacks?  You really have to try swimming with sharks it’s awesome-refuse to live your life in fear dude!!! 

Or did you know that less than 1 out of every 100K people die via electrocution  each year?  Refuse to live your life in fear man-pick up those electrical wires yourself after a storm-don’t wait for AEP to do it! 

5 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Ooh ooh I love these people.  

Did you know only about 80 people per year due from shark attacks?  You really have to try swimming with sharks it’s awesome-refuse to live your life in fear dude!!! 

Or did you know that less than 1 out of every 100K people die via electrocution  each year?  Refuse to live your life in fear man-pick up those electrical wires yourself after a storm-don’t wait for AEP to do it! 

I have swam with sharks. Fed them out of my hand. Very cool experience. Haven't ever seen downed power lines but I would treat them with respect. But I still have electricity in my house.

51 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Yes!!!!  It is worth living our lives. What is having a life if you don't live your life? I refuse to live my life in fear. 

But the problem is man, you aren't just affecting your life if you spread a deadly virus to someone who is less equipped to handle it. If it was only about personal risk, it.would be different but it's not.

6 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I have swam with sharks. Fed them out of my hand. Very cool experience. Haven't ever seen downed power lines but I would treat them with respect. But I still have electricity in my house.

It’s almost as though if something is dangerous/deadly we should take precautions or something. 

57 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

To each their own...but don't blame others for trying to do the right thing imo...and no a death isn't worth a game I'm sorry

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

But the problem is man, you aren't just affecting your life if you spread a deadly virus to someone who is less equipped to handle it. If it was only about personal risk, it.would be different but it's not.

LOL. That is the BS narrative they want you to suck up. EVERYTHING you do involves risk and almost always can hurt someone else. When I get in my car I could kill you if I make a careless move or if I have a heart attack. I wonder How many people I have killed by giving them the flu or some other contagious disease.  I wonder how many you have killed the same way? I am not bowing down to your fears. You do not have the right to make me change my life to bow to your fears. If you are scared change your life and stay at home. I am not changing my life for you because YOU are the one being selfish, not me.

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

To each their own...but don't blame others for trying to do the right thing imo...and no a death isn't worth a game I'm sorry

So we really should never play football again because hundreds, maybe even thousands, have been killed playing a game? Or is dying of Covid so much worse than dying of a head injury, spinal cord injury or heart problem?

1 minute ago, Bluefield researcher said:

So we really should never play football again because hundreds, maybe even thousands, have been killed playing a game? Or is dying of Covid so much worse than dying of a head injury, spinal cord injury or heart problem?

Let's say your kid got covid during a game and died from it? Would that game be worth it then?

And for the record I hope this happens to nobody just making a point

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Let's say your kid got covid during a game and died from it? Would that game be worth it then?

And for the record I hope this happens to nobody just making a point

I understand your point and it is not taken as ill will towards anyone. You make your points without name calling and I respect that. YES. It would be worth it. Would it be heartbreaking? Absolutely. My point is why is the remote possibility of dying from Covid different from the remote possibility of dying from a car crash? Any other football tragic injury such as a head injury? Any other communicable virus disease such as the flu, or AIDS or SARS? Would my grief be any different if my child died in a car wreck? Should I never let my child get in a car? The risk from Covid is real but it is minimal. Yes take reasonable precautions such as washing your hands with soap and covering your mouth. But why are we stopping the world for this?

Just now, Bluefield researcher said:

I understand your point and it is not taken as ill will towards anyone. You make your points without name calling and I respect that. YES. It would be worth it. Would it be heartbreaking? Absolutely. My point is why is the remote possibility of dying from Covid different from the remote possibility of dying from a car crash? Any other football tragic injury such as a head injury? Any other communicable virus disease such as the flu, or AIDS or SARS? Would my grief be any different if my child died in a car wreck? Should I never let my child get in a car? The risk from Covid is real but it is minimal. Yes take reasonable precautions such as washing your hands with soap and covering your mouth. But why are we stopping the world for this?

So if your kid died from covid during a game the game would still be worth it to you? Wow just wow