Appomattox & Union

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Literally their recipe for success.

Tough to beat a team like that 

Not exactly rocket science lol. Not like Union didn't have any talent, it's there, just wasn't really known and a lot of its young. And if you can win the turnover margin and aren't totally outclassed, you'll win way more than you lose lol .

29 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah 36 players is low.  I guess some parents didn't want their kids playing because Covid I guess but if your only losing 4 the numbers should go way up.  For some reason Union doesn't have many seniors playing any sports.  My niece plays volleyball and basketball and they have no juniors or seniors playing 

Not sure it had anything to do with parents not wanting kids to play due to Covid, I think a couple were academically ineligible and we graduated 11 Seniors. Maybe a couple just didn’t want to play. I think normally we’re about mid40s. 

24 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I thought he held on extra points and I don't think he was last night

I didn't watch last night just listened on radio so I'm not sure but in earlier games I think he was holding. I'm not sure, maybe someone who watched can fill us in but I'm bout positive the radio mentioned him checking in when they spread the field in the gun. 

My heart says Union 28, Appomattox 27 but my mind says Appomattox 42, Union 13. 

Union has been underdog the past two weeks. And they have won games that came down to a play or two. It’s possible but not probable. 

3 hours ago, rsntu88 said:

My heart says Union 28, Appomattox 27 but my mind says Appomattox 42, Union 13. 

Union has been underdog the past two weeks. And they have won games that came down to a play or two. It’s possible but not probable. 

I hope your heart is smarter than your mind

4 hours ago, rsntu88 said:

I never considered Union the underdog against Graham personally. With Graham quarantined and the loss of two starters, I thought it would be close and even stated that many times on here prior to the game, Graham would have had to play their best to win given the circumstances they were dealt. GMen definitely didn’t play anywhere near their best while Union did. Had Graham had the benefit of playimg their last regular season game, practiced as normal, and had complete roster, then yes, I would have considered  Union the underdog possibly. Maybe Union will surprise the Appo folks though and those saying Appo by a lot. Union is Union! 

21 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Y’all got good numbers! Our numbers were down a bit. Graham loses 4 Seniors, Fritz will be hardest to replace. That boy was a workhorse.  Graham only had 16 solely varsity I think maybe 36ish with JV added in...we need a few more bodies. We didn’t have enough to run live plays that Wednesday & Thursday before Union game when varsity came out of quarantine. They had to line up across from trashcans until JV was out of quarantine on the Friday before the game. Trashcans are good for trash but not getting prepared for a playoff game. Hopefully, numbers are up next year for everyone. 

Not sure if Graham will have a QB that will be able to throw the ball to Xayvion this fall.  Replacing Fritz will be hard too.  Graham has a couple of promising looking young receivers and linebackers.  They will be solid at every other position.  I believe the numbers will go up a bit for all of the local teams in the fall season.  Got a speedy receiver / back that didn't play in the spring that moved to Bluefield from Mt. View that should help take a little bit of pressure off of Bradshaw.  QB and RB are the big questions for Graham.  They will be as good as anybody at the other positions.

Tazewell loses a ton, but has some good young players coming up.  QB play should be good.  I think Mikey Jones and Cassius Harris can be play-makers.  Big question for the Bulldogs will be the lineplay, they lose a lot on both sides of the ball.  

Good news for both Graham and Tazewell is that they have some talent at the middle school level and should be solid for the next few years.  I think there are a couple of 8th graders coming up for both that should see at least a little playing time next season.

Both Graham and Tazewell have had families moving to the area from McDowell County recently, due to the close proximity and better opportunities.  You never know, they may end up with a player or 2 due to relocation.

Not sure what Richlands has returning.  I don't keep up with them as much, but with another coaching change, it will be tough and I would expect them to struggle to learn a new system, again.  They were doing the same system at the middle school level.  Hoping Richlands doesn't suffer the same fate that Graham did about a decade ago and hit rock bottom before Palmer took over.  It's good for everybody when Graham, Tazewell and Richlands are all competitive.

As far as the Union - Appo game.  I think the long trip to Union plays to Union's advantage.  They have pulled 2 upsets in a row.  Why not make it 3?  I think if they move the ball and capitalize on their drives, they have a chance. Union will have to control possession.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

As far as the Union - Appo game.  I think the long trip to Union plays to Union's advantage.  They have pulled 2 upsets in a row.  Why not make it 3?  I think if they move the ball and capitalize on their drives, they have a chance. Union will have to control possession.

Union does have a chance in this game i think.  I watched Appo Glenvar game and it was a 2 score game in the 4th and 2 of Appos TDs were on special teams Union just can't make any mistakes and they'll have their chance.

And hopefully Calpreps prediction is way off.  I can't see us losing 42-8

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Union does have a chance in this game i think.  I watched Appo Glenvar game and it was a 2 score game in the 4th and 2 of Appos TDs were on special teams Union just can't make any mistakes and they'll have their chance.

And hopefully Calpreps prediction is way off.  I can't see us losing 42-8

I'll be rooting for their bus driver!!

3 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I'll go with Appomattox by a lot. Still, it's been a great season for Union regardless of the outcome. The run by Satterfield to win the Graham game was right out of a movie script and will be remembered for years.

Feels — to me at least — a lot like when Richlands pulled The Miracle at Stuarts Draft. Amazing comeback. Talked about to this day. But Appo was waiting on the other side and it wasn’t pretty. 

Pulling hard for Union to pull another upset. 

3 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I'll go with Appomattox by a lot. Still, it's been a great season for Union regardless of the outcome. The run by Satterfield to win the Graham game was right out of a movie script and will be remembered for years.

I swear Union pulls off one of those crazy wins every year.  The Fail Mary vs Lee and 3 or 4 crazy wins vs Richlands

Looking forward to the trip to BSG (not really) but....glad we have the chance to make it.

Raiders will be focusing squarely on the Bears this week. They know that the Bears have fully earned the right to be in this game. 
Ive seen some big predictions for a lopsided score in favor of the Raiders. I am not biting on that for one second. Union is there because the have fought to play in the game.

Are the Raiders dangerous? Absolutely but.... they ain’t the Raiders of the past either. 

Just some observations from a few of the drives during the Radford and Glenvar games. And assuming the NewsAdvance is correct on their stats.

Defensive players and class depending on set  --  1 - Jr,  2 - Sr,  3 - So,  4 - So,  6 - Jr,  8 - Jr,  10 - Sr, 12 - Sr, 14 - Sr, 15 - Jr, 43 - Sr, 51 - Jr, 52 - Sr, 71 - Jr
Offensive players and class depending on set  --  1 - Jr,  2 - Sr, 4 - So, 6 - Jr, 8 - Jr, 10 - Sr, 12 - Sr, 14 - Sr, 43 - Sr, 51 - Jr, 52 - Sr, 55 - Sr, 68 - Jr, 71 - Jr
Players going both ways -  1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 43, 51, 52, 71
Half the O and D are Seniors

Don't recall so many players going both ways for the Raiders in the last few years.

Both Glenvar and Radford had more total yards, but they had more turnovers and special teams breakdowns, and Appo made them pay for them.

This is definitely not the same Raider team as 2015 - 17, BUT they are fundamentally solid, don't make many mistakes and capitalize on the mistakes of their opponents. #4 has some serious speed, and to be a sophomore, has the opportunity to be special.

Union starters, just for comparison.

Defensive players and class depending on set  -- 3 - Jr, 4 - Jr, 9 - Sr, 11 - Jr, 13 - So, 16 - So, 21 - Jr, 30 - So, 33 - Sr, 40 - Jr, 44 - Sr, 88 - Jr
Offensive players and class depending on set  -- 3 - Jr, 4 - Jr, 7 - *, 8 - Jr,  9 - Sr , 12 - Sr, 16 - So, 21 - Jr, 33 - So, 44 - Sr, 52 - So, 61 - So, 64 - Sr, 70 - So, 74 - Jr, 88 - Jr      *listed as both a So and a Jr on 2 different sites
Players going both ways - 3, 4, 16, 21, 33, 44, 88
6 total Seniors getting playing time

Maybe if Union can get the ground 'n pound going it will wear Appo down with so many going both ways. The Bears will have to control the ball, limit Appo's possessions, and prevent the big play on special teams. This game will be very interesting!

14 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I swear Union pulls off one of those crazy wins every year.  The Fail Mary vs Lee and 3 or 4 crazy wins vs Richlands

Satterfield's run reminded me of the Richlands game (can't remember the year) when Union rallied with a couple of late touchdowns to tie it, and it looked to be headed to overtime but the Bears picked off a pass and took it to the house on the last play of the game. I can't remember the name (this is what getting old does for you) of the kid who made the pick, but to this day I don't believe the Richlands QB ever saw him out there.

3 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Satterfield's run reminded me of the Richlands game (can't remember the year) when Union rallied with a couple of late touchdowns to tie it, and it looked to be headed to overtime but the Bears picked off a pass and took it to the house on the last play of the game. I can't remember the name (this is what getting old does for you) of the kid who made the pick, but to this day I don't believe the Richlands QB ever saw him out there.

2013 - Brandon Hubbard if I'm not mistaken.

Jay Gavin caught a TD pass to tie it.

Immortalized forever here... https://www.facebook.com/UnionBearsPhotos/

7 hours ago, BoBob said:

Looking forward to the trip to BSG (not really) but....glad we have the chance to make it.

Raiders will be focusing squarely on the Bears this week. They know that the Bears have fully earned the right to be in this game. 
Ive seen some big predictions for a lopsided score in favor of the Raiders. I am not biting on that for one second. Union is there because the have fought to play in the game.

Are the Raiders dangerous? Absolutely but.... they ain’t the Raiders of the past either. 

Since you coming to town how is your school handling tickets for the game.

No clue as of now. My son is a senior on the team so he has mine and my wife’s name down for ticket. I also help in setting up some of the cameras so I’ll be on the list for the team.

Generally the kids have till Wed to get their parents (or whoever’s) names in. 

After that there is a list of people who have said they want a ticket and they get sold first come first serve to them.

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

And the TD to tie game was under a minute left.  Union also had the win at Richlands when they were down 28 points and another win on a blocked or missed extra point.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

And the TD to tie game was under a minute left.  Union also had the win at Richlands when they were down 28 points and another win on a blocked or missed extra point.

Wasn’t a block, they did a fake PAT and got it. I think.