Appomattox & Union

Gridiron60

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

And the TD to tie game was under a minute left.  Union also had the win at Richlands when they were down 28 points and another win on a blocked or missed extra point.

Also lost to Richlands one year in OT when Turner tried a fake FG on PAT.

21 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah there was a 4 or 5 year span where every game had my nerves shot at the end.

From 2011-2016, neither team won by more than six and five of the six meetings were decided by two points or less, two in OT (1-1).

Only 13 points separated the teams during six meetings. Insane stuff.  Union has been ahead the last few meetings, having won the last four but the first six meetings were 3-3 and only 13 points was the difference. 

Overall Union is 7-3 v. Richlands but the average score is still just 27-22 despite Union winning by nine, three, 14 and 23 over the last four.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Wasn’t a block, they did a fake PAT and got it. I think. 

43 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Pretty sure Richlands either missed or got Extra point blocked at Union in last minute of a game but I may have been someone else.

In 2014, Union was trailing 28-7 going into the 4th quarter. It was 28-20 and Union bobbled the snap on the PAT, so the holder jumped up and threw it into the endzone and Spears (I think) caught it for 2pts to make it 28-22. The next TD, caught by Spears as time expired, tied the game at 28. PAT won it 29-28.

In 2015, the game went to OT. Richlands scored first, but the PAT was blocked by Summers. Union scored on their turn, and the PAT won it 42-41.

In 2016, Union went for 2 in OT, but the holder got tackled before he could throw it to a wide open Mitchell in the endzone. Richlands won 28-27.

Good games between these teams!

2015 was wild. It was at the park and that place ERUPTED when the PAT was blocked. One of the best games I've ever seen, both teams advanced deep in the playoffs as well. Did both lose in semis? I believe the final four teams were Clarke/Union/Richlands/Appomattox but I could be forgetting a round. 

EDIT I was wrong, Richlands lost to Appo in the quarters. Final four teams were Union/Clarke/Appo/Buffalo Gap.

57 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

2015 was wild. It was at the park and that place ERUPTED when the PAT was blocked. One of the best games I've ever seen, both teams advanced deep in the playoffs as well. Did both lose in semis? I believe the final four teams were Clarke/Union/Richlands/Appomattox but I could be forgetting a round. 

EDIT I was wrong, Richlands lost to Appo in the quarters. Final four teams were Union/Clarke/Appo/Buffalo Gap.

Yeap Richlands choked at Appomattox that year. Got beat in overtime everyone was looking forward to Union/Richlands part 2. Then Union got thumped by Clark Co. 

The 2015 Richlands/Union game in BSG was the most fun I’ve ever had at a HS sporting event. The whole town was electric that entire week. The park was a very fun place to be that day, starting around 6am. So many backstories, too. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

In 2014, Union was trailing 28-7 going into the 4th quarter. It was 28-20 and Union bobbled the snap on the PAT, so the holder jumped up and threw it into the endzone and Spears (I think) caught it for 2pts to make it 28-22. The next TD, caught by Spears as time expired, tied the game at 28. PAT won it 29-28.

In 2015, the game went to OT. Richlands scored first, but the PAT was blocked by Summers. Union scored on their turn, and the PAT won it 42-41.

In 2016, Union went for 2 in OT, but the holder got tackled before he could throw it to a wide open Mitchell in the endzone. Richlands won 28-27.

Good games between these teams!

That was it! I knew there was a 2pt conversion on a PAT in there somewhere. . 

45 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Yeap Richlands choked at Appomattox that year. Got beat in overtime everyone was looking forward to Union/Richlands part 2. Then Union got thumped by Clark Co. 

I truly believe if Union played Clarke ten times, Union wins six. Turnovers galore, not a great defensive scheme and the kids weren't as focused and rested as they should have been. That 2015 team was very, very good in all phases but just laid an egg when it mattered most. I think there was a very good chance that Union team could have beat Appo that year and won a title. Richlands all but had them beat, up by three scores in the fourth, but the lack of a run game didn't allow them to milk the clock. Unions never had that problem lol. 

46 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I truly believe if Union played Clarke ten times, Union wins six. Turnovers galore, not a great defensive scheme and the kids weren't as focused and rested as they should have been. That 2015 team was very, very good in all phases but just laid an egg when it mattered most. I think there was a very good chance that Union team could have beat Appo that year and won a title. Richlands all but had them beat, up by three scores in the fourth, but the lack of a run game didn't allow them to milk the clock. Unions never had that problem lol. 

Richlands was up by two scores in the fourth before the Raiders came back. 
Best game I was ever at. 

Remember too the Raiders handed that Clarke Co team a 42-6 loss in the state game as well. 

Draft was embarrassed in the 2nd half in the title game. They have a better defense, seem too be quicker too the ball. Not sure that means they win or comes close. APPO is a great program.

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

Richlands was up by two scores in the fourth before the Raiders came back. 
Best game I was ever at. 

Remember too the Raiders handed that Clarke Co team a 42-6 loss in the state game as well. 

Yeah it was 21-7 with six to go, dunno where I got three scores. It was a very good Apppomattox team, they were a terrible matchup for Clarke. Union presented a vastly difference challenge in 2015 but couldn't keep it together in the semis. I'm not guaranteeing Union would have won, but it would have been a much better game and I feel like Union could test Appo in same way Richlands did.

59 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah it was 21-7 with six to go, dunno where I got three scores. It was a very good Apppomattox team, they were a terrible matchup for Clarke. Union presented a vastly difference challenge in 2015 but couldn't keep it together in the semis. I'm not guaranteeing Union would have won, but it would have been a much better game and I feel like Union could test Appo in same way Richlands did.

We were destined for a Richlands Union state final... which may have been the greatest football game of all time lol. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

We were destined for a Richlands Union state final... which may have been the greatest football game of all time lol. 

Gah if you think the M7 and the SWD are at each other's throats now, imagine what a state final would look like lol. Might as well move the game to Bristol and play it at the race track, SWVA would fill it up for that lol

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I was extremely surprised to hear CC won that game. I would have lost a bet if I was a betting man.

17 minutes ago, BoBob said:

What’s the best way to come if I’m coming down 81? 

81 to 58 to Norton then 23 to Big Stone gap, take either 1st exit turn right go past Union high school to The park on east 1st street . Or take the 2nd exit turn left, go to east 5th and Wood ave , turn left again to east 1st

3 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

81 to 58 to Norton then 23 to Big Stone gap, take either 1st exit turn right go past Union high school to The park on east 1st street . Or take the 2nd exit turn left, go to east 5th and Wood ave , turn left again to east 1st

He doesn't want to go through Norton. Speed trap capital of SWVA.