state semis - Spring '21

VHSLhelper

33 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I personally don’t recall a lot of Graham people complaining or making excuses when Graham lost to Union. I actually congratulated Union on a well played game. I believe you’re over generalizing fan bases. Congratulations on a good ride!

Did you miss the posts about not enough practices,being short-handed,kids out late the night before...etc?

2 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

And I don't know about you guys on the board, but I think it's total BS that a private school that can legally recruit can play in the same league as public schools that can't.  Granted, do they recruit like college programs do?  Generally no, but it's still a legal advantage their public peers around them don't have.  They need to be in the private school league with Roanoke Catholic and North Cross.  Just like in WV when you see Wheeling Central Catholic competing for state titles in single A in football and basketball all the time. 

Of the 16 teams in the 8 state title games here in Florida, 8 were privates. 

18 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Did you miss the posts about not enough practices,being short-handed,kids out late the night before...etc?

I kinda thought that's what this board was for. Before said game all of us experts what each team must do to win. Usually consisting of the obvious. Don't turn the ball over, limit penalties, block, tackle, etc. Post game the winning team normally talks about what this kid or that kid did so good while the losing team talks about the turnovers, jersey tackling, etc. At least thats been my experience on here. 

I mean let's be honest would this board be any fun without @EH31 betting Frosty's or @UVAObserver betting the farm, or @jarhead24219 just being jarhead? Gosh don't forget @cityofRavenwho has the best dry and sarcastic sense of humor period. 

20 minutes ago, Unchained said:

I really wish you hadn't brought all of that back up again. I was finally coming to grips with the season ending early and putting it all behind me but nooooo you go and bring it all back up😂

20 minutes ago, Unchained said:

I didn’t realize anyone used those statements of fact as excuses.

1. Graham was quarantined for two weeks prior to the game. JV two days longer than varsity. They had one day of legit practice.  
2. They did have two starters out and lost another during the game due to his jaw getting broken.
3. Apparently, some players did attend a party the night before the game. (Stupid, selfish teenagers -that’s an opinion by the way), lol. 

Those are facts! Do I think the outcome would have been different if those facts were changed? Who knows? It does no good to speculate the “ifs”. It won’t change the outcome. 

The final fact, Union played a great game and deseved the win. Graham played awful.GMen stunk up the field  all the way down to that last 11 seconds. No excuses, Union came to play. Graham was not prepared to play and that was evident. 

Congratulations to the Bears on a remarkable run though. 

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham will be strong again, they will however have to replace a very good RB and a solid QB in Fritz and Blevins, which are 2 tough positions to replace.  They did have a couple of good looking RB's and have a very athletic young man who will be eligible to play in the fall who moved to Bluefield after playing in WV in the fall.  They need to find a QB who can get the ball to what looks to be a good bunch of receivers.  Replacing Jackson on the line will be tough, but they have a very strong group of young men coming up and a couple of freshmen who may see a little playing time.  Way too early to make that kind of a statement.  Graham will definitely be dangerous and I do think it will come down to Graham and Union in region D if everybody can stay healthy and stay in the game.  These are kids, Graham and Union are well coached.  Appomattox has had a run of athletes that you don't see often at this level.  I think region D closes the gap this fall.

Hey I know they'll be good but my goodness did yousee the speed of this team and they're young.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it

21 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Hey I know they'll be good but my goodness did yousee the speed of this team and they're young.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it

Yep I noticed that. Unfortunately. Someone stated before the game that Union needed to stop that kid from going up the middle and something along the lines that its nothing real fancy. I thought to myself he's right its really nothing fancy. Well after watching him do it a few times today in what appeared to be untouched it turns out it is somewhat impressive to say the least. I was impressed with the QB last year and I'm equally impressed with that RB. 

Appomattox is very, very good. The thing that stands out the most over all these years is just how little they beat themselves. Never a lot of turnovers or penalties and with the caliber of athletes they have, it's damn near impossible to beat them if they don't beat themselves even a little bit. 

And the excuse stuff doesn't bother me, every team has numerous reasons why they win/lose. The hilarious part to me is when people refuse to admit they were wrong. It's one thing to be wrong once or even twice, but when you're wrong on a consistent basis about a team and their performance and refuse to acknowledge it, people gonna catch on. But it's over, Union was not gonna beat Appomattox unless Appomattox was -4 in the turnover margin and Union played absolutely flawless. They sure as shit won't win it they are -4 and Appomattox played almost flawlessly. I thought Union ran the ball pretty well mostly all day but when you turn it over and the other team is scoring consistently on 40+ yard plays, you're gonna get smashed and Union did, they got smashed. 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

Appomattox is very, very good. The thing that stands out the most over all these years is just how little they beat themselves. Never a lot of turnovers or penalties and with the caliber of athletes they have, it's damn near impossible to beat them if they don't beat themselves even a little bit. 

And the excuse stuff doesn't bother me, every team has numerous reasons why they win/lose. The hilarious part to me is when people refuse to admit they were wrong. It's one thing to be wrong once or even twice, but when you're wrong on a consistent basis about a team and their performance and refuse to acknowledge it, people gonna catch on. But it's over, Union was not gonna beat Appomattox unless Appomattox was -4 in the turnover margin and Union played absolutely flawless. They sure as shit won't win it they are -4 and Appomattox played almost flawlessly. I thought Union ran the ball pretty well mostly all day but when you turn it over and the other team is scoring consistently on 40+ yard plays, you're gonna get smashed and Union did, they got smashed. 

Don't worry about it...some people will never admit they were wrong.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I kinda thought that's what this board was for. Before said game all of us experts what each team must do to win. Usually consisting of the obvious. Don't turn the ball over, limit penalties, block, tackle, etc. Post game the winning team normally talks about what this kid or that kid did so good while the losing team talks about the turnovers, jersey tackling, etc. At least thats been my experience on here. 

I mean let's be honest would this board be any fun without @EH31 betting Frosty's or @UVAObserver betting the farm, or @jarhead24219 just being jarhead? Gosh don't forget @cityofRavenwho has the best dry and sarcastic sense of humor period. 

Yo people had forgot about that

59 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Yep I noticed that. Unfortunately. Someone stated before the game that Union needed to stop that kid from going up the middle and something along the lines that its nothing real fancy. I thought to myself he's right its really nothing fancy. Well after watching him do it a few times today in what appeared to be untouched it turns out it is somewhat impressive to say the least. I was impressed with the QB last year and I'm equally impressed with that RB. 

Yeah that was me once he's past the line he's gone.  Their defense isn't as good as their previous teams because we could move the ball decent but too many turnovers but they're offense is better i think

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

You would think that, despite being the only person who believes it's some sort of miraculous upset that got them there.

Can't just be Union was better than Graham when they met, not possible, no way no how.

He's trying to get under your skin i think no one can be that big of a prick

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I didn’t realize anyone used those statements of fact as excuses.

1. Graham was quarantined for two weeks prior to the game. JV two days longer than varsity. They had one day of legit practice.  
2. They did have two starters out and lost another during the game due to his jaw getting broken.
3. Apparently, some players did attend a party the night before the game. (Stupid, selfish teenagers -that’s an opinion by the way), lol. 

Those are facts! Do I think the outcome would have been different if those facts were changed?

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863g89ehkk43adf2524s

50 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

No one from Union is making any excuses but I'm pretty sure the refs cheated though

It’s not the excuses, which there can be none after getting drilled into the earth’s mantle.  It’s the steadfast refusal of 95% of them to admit they got a generation’s worth of breaks to get to that point.  It’d be like an 11-seed getting blown out in the Final Four, but still actually believing they were truly the best team in their Region over the course of the season.  

Lest we forget that, 2 short weeks ago, it was a majority opinion here (not me, but others) that Ridgeview would have beaten Union.  There’s yet another fortuitous bounce that went Union’s way.

Surely those fans, with 13 titles in their history, can see that.  Surely.  I’m happy for the young men who earned the right to play in this game, but the fans ruined the mood here, which would have been heavy support.

36 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s not the excuses, which there can be none after getting drilled into the earth’s mantle.  It’s the steadfast refusal of 95% of them to admit they got a generation’s worth of breaks to get to that point.  It’d be like an 11-seed getting blown out in the Final Four, but still actually believing they were truly the best team in their Region over the course of the season.  

Lest we forget that, 2 short weeks ago, it was a majority opinion here (not me, but others) that Ridgeview would have beaten Union.  There’s yet another fortuitous bounce that went Union’s way.

Surely those fans, with 13 titles in their history, can see that.  Surely.  I’m happy for the young men who earned the right to play in this game, but the fans ruined the mood here, which would have been heavy support.

I'd rather be lucky than good any day

39 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I don't think Union is better than Graham and Central but we won so who cares whose better.  We can't help you guys had players out and some partied the night before and can't help Central fumbles 4 times.  We had 5 turnovers today and it wouldn't of mattered if we had zero we still couldn't stop Appomattox on offense

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

A generation's worth of breaks? Clown shoes. The gap between the teams isn't that large, Union matches up excellently v. Graham and Wise kept turning it over. Generational breaks lolol. 

Let's examine the "generational" upset at Graham:

First downs: Union-14   Graham-9

Total yards: Union-343      Graham-225

Rush: U-303     G-138

Pass: U-40   G-87

Turnovers: U-1     G-0

Penalties: U-8/81.  G-9/85

Union had one more turnover, basically even penalty yards, OUTGAINED GRAHAM BY 100+ yards, rushed for over 300 yards and yet somehow that's catching generational breaks. That is absolutely insane. 

Brass tax: you were mad you were so wrong about Union basketball (and you were exceptionally wrong) and are now trying to create this generational narrative stuff to justify being exceptionally wrong again. It's blatantly  obvious.

EDIT-Somehow I deleted a paragraph. Union was fortune. No one is disputing that in the slightest. They didn't have to play RV and made it in. But the framing of it as some once in a lifetime, never before seen upset run is what's just not true. There would need to be a sizable gap between the three teams for that to be true and there is not, no matter how many times you say it. 

Oh and on the last point, every other Graham fan of note, all the Wise guys, etc... expressed their support for Union. I can show you the posts. The only person actively rooting against them was you. But I'm gonna do you a favor since I've proven what I've been saying without a shadow of a doubt; I'm never gonna bring it up again. I'll never quote you and take a dig, no more subtle jabs or backhanded compliments, nothing about all this, because there's no need. With your help, I've proven my point emphatically. 

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

A generation's worth of breaks? Clown shoes. The gap between the teams isn't that large, Union matches up excellently v. Graham and Wise kept turning it over. Generational breaks lolol. 

Let's examine the "generational" upset at Graham:

First downs: Union-14   Graham-9

Total yards: Union-343      Graham-225

Rush: U-303     G-138

Pass: U-40   G-87

Turnovers: U-1     G-0

Penalties: U-8/81.  G-9/85

Union had one more turnover, basically even penalty yards, OUTGAINED GRAHAM BY 100+ yards, rushed for over 300 yards and yet somehow that's catching generational breaks. That is absolutely insane. 

Brass tax: you were mad you were so wrong about Union basketball (and you were exceptionally wrong) and are now trying to create this generational narrative stuff to justify being exceptionally wrong again. It's blatantly  obvious.

EDIT-Somehow I deleted a paragraph. Union was fortune. No one is disputing that in the slightest. They didn't have to play RV and made it in. But the framing of it as some once in a lifetime, never before seen upset run is what's just not true. There would need to be a sizable gap between the three teams for that to be true and there is not, no matter how many times you say it. 

Oh and on the last point, every other Graham fan of note, all the Wise guys, etc... expressed their support for Union. I can show you the posts. The only person actively rooting against them was you. But I'm gonna do you a favor since I've proven what I've been saying without a shadow of a doubt; I'm never gonna bring it up again. I'll never quote you and take a dig, no more subtle jabs or backhanded compliments, nothing about all this, because there's no need. With your help, I've proven my point emphatically. 

I'm not so sure union loses to Ridgeview.  If we can beat central and Graham we could've beat them also

11 hours ago, goose111874 said:

And hats off to the lady appo fan what a set of lungs

Unfortunately there are times she’s is using those lungs and not representing our program in a positive way and we just hang our heads.