Super League proposal for European football

I don't like it at all.  Has the potential to completely wreck the unique league systems within Europe that have consistently produced compelling matchups which truly test the ultimate mettle of champions.  Adversely affects promotion/relegation -- which is an other aspect of European football (particularly the English FA) that makes it particularly unique.  The selection of the initial 12 clubs appears to be based completely on $$ with no other considerations.  New arrangement seems about as compelling as the NFL -- which I rarely watch at all.

To that last point, I'm a diehard Liverpool supporter -- but I don't think believe for a minute that the Reds are truly an elite team on the pitch right now.  If anything, they are being included based on a legacy built many years ago.  Feels a lot like the ACC selling its soul to get Miami (even though that ultimately benefited Virginia Tech).

Apparently the top German and French teams passed on invitations to join.

So what's the primary argument in favor of the new arrangement?

All joking aside, I don't know nearly as much about the football version of this idea as I do the golf version.  I could get way lost in the weeds on the issues with the PGA Tour but nobody cares.  Stories like how Dustin Johnson got popped for cocaine and the PGA Tour issued a statement that DJ was injured loading a jet ski onto a trailer.  Or how Rory McIlroy was injured falling through a plate-glass table while getting some action from his side-chick when he was engaged to tennis star Caroline Wozniaki.  Or the Jimmie Walker / Dustin Johnson situation.  Or how Tom Watson married another PGA Tour players wife.  Or how Gary Player cheated, repeatedly. Or.......you get the idea.

The golf version (Premier Golf League) (PGL) has been floating around for the past two years.  The concept would look very similar to Formula 1.  The top players in the world would have "teams" they put together to compete against other teams.  Players can be demoted and promoted to and from a team at the owners will.  Ideally, PGL would have owners be Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy, etc.  It's all centered around ensuring the best players compete against each another more regularly.  Each competition would be more of a "made for TV" concept intended to drive ratings.  The problems I see with it are, it seems to be centered around TV and gambling and is being funded (at least initially) by the crown-prince of Saudi Arabia.    

The football version seems to be similar in such that the reason for change is centered around money, power and gambling.  But lets face facts, UEFA and FIFA have been the most corrupt organizations in profession sports worldwide for decades.  I love the promotional system football introduced to the world, but as long as the largest sport in the world is being run by greed, no old or new governing body is going to be exempt from corruption.  There's simply too much money involved.  

"Money, it will ruin sports" ~O.B. Keeler~

37 minutes ago, sixcat said:

But lets face facts, UEFA and FIFA have been the most corrupt organizations in profession sports worldwide for decades. 

The fact that FIFA is the body that will probably have to step up and do something from a moral standpoint is by far my biggest issue with all of this.

I'm the type of soccer fan that real soccer fans loathe.  Frankly, I don’t blame you.   

I'm typically a hardcore traditionalist when it comes to sports and hate when changes are made to broaden the appeal and generate additional revenue. I'm admittedly a casual fan at best of European soccer and lack an appreciation for the history and uniqueness of the club system. My opinion is clearly slanted by having an American perspective at how professional leagues should look. It's not to say that the franchise model with a single dominate league doesn't have issues.  No doubt this is clearly a move based purely on the greed of the 12 clubs involved.  They know the world's most popular sport has grown as much as possible in its current format, and that there are billions of potential new fans (primarily in Asia and North America) who aren't currently watching for whatever reason.

I know it sounds silly, but my biggest gripe about professional soccer is the sheer number of quality teams and leagues.  I only have so many hours a week that I can read, watch, and consume all sports. I don't have the time or energy to sort through which teams in which leagues and ultimately which games I'll watch. Narrow it down 20 to 40 teams of world’s best in a single league, I'm tuning in. 

37 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'm the type of soccer fan that real soccer fans loathe.  Frankly, I don’t blame you.   

I'm typically a hardcore traditionalist when it comes to sports and hate when changes are made to broaden the appeal and generate additional revenue. I'm admittedly a casual fan at best of European soccer and lack an appreciation for the history and uniqueness of the club system. My opinion is clearly slanted by having an American perspective at how professional leagues should look. It's not to say that the franchise model with a single dominate league doesn't have issues.  No doubt this is clearly a move based purely on the greed of the 12 clubs involved.  They know the world's most popular sport has grown as much as possible in its current format, and that there are billions of potential new fans (primarily in Asia and North America) who aren't currently watching for whatever reason.

I know it sounds silly, but my biggest gripe about professional soccer is the sheer number of quality teams and leagues.  I only have so many hours a week that I can read, watch, and consume all sports. I don't have the time or energy to sort through which teams in which leagues and ultimately which games I'll watch. Narrow it down 20 to 40 teams of world’s best in a single league, I'm tuning in. 

That's a really logical viewpoint.  And I think it probably aligns well with what the 12 clubs are actually thinking in strategic terms.

Don't get me wrong -- I still personally don't like it.  But I very much  appreciate Liam's time and consideration in posting.

As I mentioned in the Chatbox, I think the idea is perfect IF promotion/relegation is included in the format.  Otherwise, I believe it will very slightly tarnish the high leagues of the various European countries.  The Premier League was formed in 1992, so let’s not pretend that we’re screwing with MLB or some other entity that has been around since horses were a primary form of transportation.

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

As I mentioned in the Chatbox, I think the idea is perfect IF promotion/relegation is included in the format.  Otherwise, I believe it will very slightly tarnish the high leagues of the various European countries.  The Premier League was formed in 1992, so let’s not pretend that we’re screwing with MLB or some other entity that has been around since horses were a primary form of transportation.

The Premier League may have only been its name since 92, but these teams have been playing in the same “top flight” or “top division” since 1888. There has always been the relegation and promotion system in place. And I love true promotion and relegation. Man City was in the 3rd tier of English soccer in 1999 and now (thanks to billionaire Abu Dhabi money) are at the top. 

If you form this super league — the Leicester City miracle never happens again. 

Not a fan. Hoping it’s blocked by just about every entity that can hurt these clubs (and my club is included in this). 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

The Premier League may have only been its name since 92, but these teams have been playing in the same “top flight” or “top division” since 1888. There has always been the relegation and promotion system in place. And I love true promotion and relegation. Man City was in the 3rd tier of English soccer in 1999 and now (thanks to billionaire Abu Dhabi money) are at the top. 

If you form this super league — the Leicester City miracle never happens again. 

Not a fan. Hoping it’s blocked by just about every entity that can hurt these clubs (and my club is included in this). 

The Premier League was virtually the same idea that’s being hawked now.  A bunch of clubs in the First Division broke away from the Football League to take advantage of a massive TV deal.  It’s conceptually identical. The only issue is that the Premier League doesn’t like it when someone else’s fingers are in their shepherd’s pie.

The Bundesliga is also a relatively recent creation (1963).  Only Serie A and La Liga have legitimate gripes about toying with the organizational structure, as those leagues have been around forever.

Also, FIFA claiming any sort of moral high ground is cute.

49 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Oh thank goodness. I was very conflicted there for a moment on how to be a fan of a Club that broke away like that. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Oh thank goodness. I was very conflicted there for a moment on how to be a fan of a Club that broke away like that. 

You and me both, my friend.  My family had begun to develop plans to become fanatical followers of the Scottish League.  (And now that I have written that last sentence and look back on it.... we just ain't right.)

I thought this may go the way of the Premier Golf League.  Lots of buzz initially with several PGA Tour players putting it out in the media that they are interested in splitting from the PGA Tour for the PGL.  Then, as more details emerge, more players begin to back away.  The talk dies down and probability of it becoming a reality become less and less.

If you go back and read the articles about the PGL when they initially came out, you will see a lot of parallels. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewjcooper/2020/02/25/the-premier-golf-league--everything-you-need-to-know/?sh=6d8e4b5e7b73

Major down side to this is that it will embolden FIFA and the continental associations.  UEFA already apparently telling Real Madrid that they will be banned from European competitions as long as Florentino Perez is president of the club.

• 9 months later...