Galax vs Holston

Optimal62

2 hours ago, 50kw said:

Now, about that Galax - Holston game 😏

How long has Holston HC been there. Seems like he has the team on the right track. 

Also one of the nicest grass fields I have been to. Very nice stadium.  The  VHSL should of moved the Galax Chilhowie game a couple years ago there when Chilhowie wouldn't play at Emory. Much nicer field than where they played. 

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

The  VHSL should of moved the Galax Chilhowie game a couple years ago there when Chilhowie wouldn't play at Emory. Much nicer field than where they played. 

No chance in hell of Smyth County giving the revenue of a state semifinal to Washington County. 

33 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

I am thinking that the schools do not get the revenue for those games.  Pretty sure that the VHSL gets the cash.

I think you are correct, although I have no proof.  I was more pointing to revenue generated from such a large crowd coming to a community.  Smyth would prefer those "tourism" dollars be spent in Smyth as apposed to Washington.

At least that's what I was told by someone who would likely know more than any of us.

48 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think you are correct, although I have no proof.  I was more pointing to revenue generated from such a large crowd coming to a community.  Smyth would prefer those "tourism" dollars be spent in Smyth as apposed to Washington.

At least that's what I was told by someone who would likely know more than any of us.

Galax folks had to drive through Chilhowie to get to Saltville on the day of the Chilhowie Christmas parade. Chilhowie has restaurants and gas stations; Saltville's were rendered useless by being so close to the stadium that their parking lots were closed.

Marion has a bigger stadium with more convenient infrastructure in and out, but a game in Marion meant no one was going to have to go to the Town of Chilhowie.

At the point in which the Marion Director of Economic Development writes an open public letter to a Congressman on Facebook on behalf of Chilhowie, you realize that economics were the driving factor and not what was best for the kids. Which, it's true, the Town of Chilhowie planned for the crowd and it was a big deal for them, but the football team couldn't have cared less.

33 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Galax folks had to drive through Chilhowie to get to Saltville on the day of the Chilhowie Christmas parade. Chilhowie has restaurants and gas stations; Saltville's were rendered useless by being so close to the stadium that their parking lots were closed.

Marion has a bigger stadium with more convenient infrastructure in and out, but a game in Marion meant no one was going to have to go to the Town of Chilhowie.

At the point in which the Marion Director of Economic Development writes an open public letter to a Congressman on Facebook on behalf of Chilhowie, you realize that economics were the driving factor and not what was best for the kids. Which, it's true, the Town of Chilhowie planned for the crowd and it was a big deal for them, but the football team couldn't have cared less.

It was a shit show all around. 

24 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Damned near verbatim what I was told by someone who, at that time, was employed on the periphery of this situation.