2020/2021 state finals

VHSLhelper

ALL games Sat. 5/1 - East hosts

1 : C-1 Galax (9-0) @ B-1 Riverheads (9-0) - 1:00

Riv. has won the last 4 titles, inc. a 31-24 win over Galax in '19;
they lost to Galax 7-6 in the '15 finals

2 : C-1 Appomattox Co. (9-0) @ B-1 Stuarts Draft (8-1) - 2:30

Appo is 4-0 in last 5 finals, inc. a 41-21 win over SD in '19.
The only finalist with a loss, SD fell to Riverheads 10-7 in OT on April Fool's Day

(note : JMU's Home q/f game is SUN. @ 6)

3 : D-1 Lord Botetourt (9-0) @ A-1 Lafayette (8-0) - 2:00

LB was r-up in '19; both lost to Magna Vista in 14/15
Laf's 5-season absence is the longest of the 12 finalists

4 : D-1 Salem (9-0) @ A-1 Lake Taylor (7-0) - 3:00 

in last 6 title games... Salem is 3-1, LT is 2-2;
they split in 15 & 16.

5 : C-1 Stone Bridge (8-0) 'at' B-1 Highland Springs (8-0) - 2:00 @ Varina HS

in last 5 title games... HS is 4-0; SB is 0-4, inc. 3 H-2-H... HS won 37-26 in '18

HS' old on-campus field is where their new building is going up.

6 : C-1 South County (9-0) @ A-1 Oscar Smith (8-0) - 2:00

Smith is 0-5 in the last 7 finals, inc. a 14-13 loss to SC in '19;
last win was in 2011

2 hours ago, GDUB said:

public allowed to come?

VHSL is in charge.  Each player and band member will get two tickets each.  Then they will see how many are left for general admission.  But they will likely be limited to the participants fanbase by being placed for sale in he high schools office.

I watched the Appomattox game , I thought for sure that it was going to be a repeat of the Union game , but boy oh boy those Cougars came back. Best State finals in a very long time. Congrats to DA Raiders and congrats to the Cougars for  battling back, you should be very proud

17 hours ago, trublue said:
VHSL Championship finals:

Class 6A Oscar Smith 62 South County 21
Class 5 A Stone Bridge 13 Highland Springs 10, in overtime
Class 4A Salem 28 Lake Taylor 20
Class 3A Lafayette 27 Lord Botetourt 13
Class 2A Appomattox 48 Stuarts Draft 41
Class 1A Riverheads 65 Galax 29

great state

Way to go Appomattox and Salem!

14 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I watched the Appomattox game, it appeared that the 500 spectators per team may have been exceeded by 2 or 3 —-hundred, just saying if they did , great , who cares what the VHSL thinks or king Ralphie 

It certainly did appear that way on the Appo side for sure. 

21 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I watched the Appomattox game, it appeared that the 500 spectators per team may have been exceeded by 2 or 3 —-hundred, just saying if they did , great , who cares what the VHSL thinks or king Ralphie 

Nope the VHSL needs to send a message: if Appomattox had more spectators, they should strip Appomattox of a title (not this year that's unfair, let's say the one from four years ago) and award it to the team they beat (but not the team they beat in the finals, that's not fair, so let's say the team they beat in the half state game).

I think that's clearly the right thing to do lolol

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Nope the VHSL needs to send a message: if Appomattox had more spectators, they should strip Appomattox of a title (not this year that's unfair, let's say the one from four years ago) and award it to the team they beat (but not the team they beat in the finals, that's not fair, so let's say the team they beat in the half state game).

Wow you have never made more sense than right now, I completely agree

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Wow you have never made more sense than right now, I completely agree

To me, it's clearly the most fair solution. Gotta send a strong signal that you can't be breaking the not at all arbitrary and seat of your pants rules the VHSL and state came up with. Don't wanna punish the current kids tho, so gotta go back four years to account for every class. I await the VHSL adopting such an obvious and fair solution.

15 hours ago, BigWinners said:

VH$L isn't going to bite the hand that feeds it.  If Appomattox did have more, that's just more money in the VH$L's pocket, and I'm certain they aren't going to tell the Governor they got too much money from tickets...if you know what I'm sayin'...

I'd be shocked if fewer than 1,000 people were at the Riverheads Galax game.  But a lot were on the baseball field, outside the fence, looking down onto the football field.  A few were also lined up on the fenceline sitting in the back of pickup trucks near the east endzone.