Lee Football

BSGSportsFan

11 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

And the last swva team to knock off Appo? Lee High, 2014 - right before they fired Terry Martin. 

That was a head scratcher given he had led them to the most success they had in 15 years.

Change in school board done him in. They need to change their policy on all 5 chairs coming up for election at same time. What you get is 5 new people who have "new" ideas and they change the landscape. That makes no sense, all 5 seats should never be up for election at one time. Then you have coaches jockeying the board members who are running so when they get on they push their agenda and the school suffers. 

15 minutes ago, Blue_Crue said:

Change in school board done him in. They need to change their policy on all 5 chairs coming up for election at same time. What you get is 5 new people who have "new" ideas and they change the landscape. That makes no sense, all 5 seats should never be up for election at one time. Then you have coaches jockeying the board members who are running so when they get on they push their agenda and the school suffers. 

I didn't know they did it that way, definable hurts with consistency. Change can come fast and be sweeping

16 minutes ago, Confused Fan said:

The latest news surrounding this job is that Joey Carroll from Person High School is going to take the job. He was formerly the head coach at Marion and typically put a respectable product on the field during his tenure. 

I heard this same thing this morning, and Joey would be a great hire for Lee!

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

What do you think about the hire? 

Home run and a half. This is a bigger hire than Lee should have ever been able to pull in on paper. He had the most consistent success at Marion that any coach had since the mid-70s, and you can see how well they've done without him. In two years, he appeared to have turned around Person despite being a high enrollment school playing one of the toughest schedules in NC. I don't know how many district titles they'll be pulling in, but I would be very surprised if Lee stayed a bottom dweller in the M7 under Carroll's watch.

51 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Home run and a half. This is a bigger hire than Lee should have ever been able to pull in on paper. He had the most consistent success at Marion that any coach had since the mid-70s, and you can see how well they've done without him. In two years, he appeared to have turned around Person despite being a high enrollment school playing one of the toughest schedules in NC. I don't know how many district titles they'll be pulling in, but I would be very surprised if Lee stayed a bottom dweller in the M7 under Carroll's watch.

But it's Lee tho. Terry Martin seemed to be a pretty dang good coach and they ran him off. I'm curious if the Lee guys like @Beamerball think the powers that be will let him stick around long enough to build something.

Was he the coach at Marion when Ford was there? I really thought they did an excellent job with concepts, esp on offense, during that run.

27 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

But it's Lee tho. Terry Martin seemed to be a pretty dang good coach and they ran him off. I'm curious if the Lee guys like @Beamerball think the powers that be will let him stick around long enough to build something.

Was he the coach at Marion when Ford was there? I really thought they did an excellent job with concepts, esp on offense, during that run.

He was. He was head coach at Marion from 2011-2018. Finished as (at least) district runner-up 6 out of 8 seasons. Was an assistant under Steve Wright and DC under Mike Briscoe prior to that. 

13 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

He was. He was head coach at Marion from 2011-2018. Finished as (at least) district runner-up 6 out of 8 seasons. Was an assistant under Steve Wright and DC under Mike Briscoe prior to that. 

Then it seems to be a pretty good hire. The biggest hurdle he has day one is creating excitement down there and getting the kids in school to play and keeping them from looking elsewhere. It's tougher to win at Lee in 2021 than Marion but maybe by 2023 or 2024 he can have them as a respectable program

Almost all of the counties/communities in SWVA face trouble with economics and dwindling population, and I'd guess that Lee county is one of the hardest hit. It's been several years, but the last time I drove through there it was so depressing looking at it, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better. I really hope the hire works out for them, but I'm guessing Lee may be the toughest 2A job in SWVA.

If they'll leave him alone for more than 2 years they'll be fine but that's a BIG IF. Given Lee's history with coaches history would say in 2 years they will finish 5-5 and be competitive and he will be looking for another job. Hope that doesn't happen 

Well,the NC job didn't last long. Makes ya wonder if Joey got out while the getting was good at Marion. We won't field a decent team for awhile . No kids and the staff just aren't experienced enough. Plywood knows the Crazy nights we use to have on Fridays. Even before the China virus hit things were going down at Marion

4 hours ago, vols4life said:

Well,the NC job didn't last long. Makes ya wonder if Joey got out while the getting was good at Marion. We won't field a decent team for awhile . No kids and the staff just aren't experienced enough. Plywood knows the Crazy nights we use to have on Fridays. Even before the China virus hit things were going down at Marion

When mama calls you come home. Hard to turn down a job that brings you back home 

Coaching football in Person County NC is akin to coaching at Carroll County when they were in the River Ridge District.  The best you can hope for is to finish middle of the pack in the district.  Person and Caswell County's will always struggle to produce the volume of athletes of an Alamance County.  Not the toughest district in NC but very top-heavy.  Again, very similar to the River Ridge. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, redtiger said:

If they'll leave him alone for more than 2 years they'll be fine but that's a BIG IF. Given Lee's history with coaches history would say in 2 years they will finish 5-5 and be competitive and he will be looking for another job. Hope that doesn't happen 

In 1997 a 5-5 Lee made the Division 4 state semifinals and lost to Heritage by a field goal. 

44 minutes ago, redtiger said:

That was year 1 of Don Williams 2nd stint as HC at Lee, in 1999 they had a new HC. 

I left Oklahoma drivin in a Pontiac,
Just about to lose my mind,
I was goin to Arizona maybe on to California,
Where the people all live so fine,
My baby said I's crazy,
My momma called me lazy,
I was goin to show em all this time,
Cause you know I ain't no fool,
An I don't need no more schoolin,
I was born to just walk the line,

Sorry, got sidetracked.  What were we talking about?

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

That was year 1 of Don Williams 2nd stint as HC at Lee, in 1999 they had a new HC. 

And the entire reason Don Williams came back was because that team was loaded.  1998 they were even better but injuries and IMO poor coaching cost them.  Williams was too long in the tooth at that point to win at the level Lee was capable of at that time.

That was a little before my time, can't remember those teams. All I know is if you look at the history of Lee football all you will find is inconsistency. Some good season, a lot of bad, and all kinds of change.  If like to see what Lee could do with a quality coach that was given 5 seasons