Lee Football

BSGSportsFan

31 minutes ago, BSGSportsFan said:

He's no longer the coach, I'm not sure exactly what happened.

I hate it but honest opinionated assessment was that he was in over his head. Don't know him personally, but his alignments and schemes seemed youth league level. I may be wrong, but might be for the best. 

Are the kids at Lee just not playing sports because of distance or what.  I know the kids from Keokee always went to Appalachia.  I guess it's hard for some kids to get home from practice.  I'd like to see them recover in football because up until a few years ago it was always a big game atmosphere vs Union even though they couldn't beat us.

Dude was still living in TN and driving a few hours to teach/coach, it was a short term gig. I dont know the guy but I assume he thought it would be a good stepping stone move in a few years, I dont think he understood the monumental rebuild that Lee was/is. At this point a losing culture is pretty much established, it will take years to truly break that and make the Generals a competitive program, idk if the politics will allow a coach to ever be there long enough to get that done.

Some talent from Lee has moved East, I'm sure some players don't come out due to distance. The Little League football program in Pennington Gap (maybe Jonesville too, idk) didn't play this spring so some of those kids played with the Big Stone Gap program, that will surely have some negative long term effects.  

Union fully expects kids to come, they will be welcomed. Baseball (little league) has so many Lee county kids now , and our peanut program has been too notch since the 70s . They have more $$$ support in big stone gap , Big stone has more in common with Lee county than we do the upper end of wise county. I have heard that maybe Central may loose a player or two to Union, they want to go to state and the Bears are looking good for a run . Time will tell

14 hours ago, That_guy said:

Wow I wonder if Trey Adams want be the next head coach of Lee High? He has some experience.

I would think they would opt for a more seasoned prospect. A tough situation with a lot of community pressure, I wouldn't throw a 20 something young man into that situation. Not saying he wouldn't do a good job, just probably not the right fit 

14 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Union fully expects kids to come, they will be welcomed. Baseball (little league) has so many Lee county kids now , and our peanut program has been too notch since the 70s . They have more $$$ support in big stone gap , Big stone has more in common with Lee county than we do the upper end of wise county. I have heard that maybe Central may loose a player or two to Union, they want to go to state and the Bears are looking good for a run . Time will tell

I hope these kids have some speed because we will need the equivalent to what we had in 2017 to compete with Appo next year. I think we will be good in all other departments.

It seems like such a tough job to take.....small town politics, kids spread out all over the place, consistent coaching changes, lack of rec department, not sure of the pay (but probably not great), surrounded by several successful programs.  Not a list of attractions for a seasoned coach; especially with the amount of other jobs open each and every year.  The only way I see to turn it around is hire someone who has had some success (not a super star, but consistent success) and allow them to bring some new staff members with them; a fresh start and new faces for the program and then......leave them alone for 5 years and then reevaluate.   

The word I heard last night Lee will be making the best hire they have had in a LLLLLLOOONNNNGGG time.   A former SWVA HC and current DC across the state line is in the works to be hired.  It surprised me when I heard the name if true but multiple sources seemed pointed to this.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

The word I heard last night Lee will be making the best hire they have had in a LLLLLLOOONNNNGGG time.   A former SWVA HC and current DC across the state line is in the works to be hired.  It surprised me when I heard the name if true but multiple sources seemed pointed to this.

If they hire BI that's a homerun.

26 minutes ago, appyvol said:

If they hire BI that's a homerun.

That's the name I'm hearing too and that he may even be bring an assistant with him; someone who's been coaching at the collegiate for multiple years. 

Men, yesterday, I was told that it was all but done, but my source is telling me now that he has backed away after mulling it over with family.  He apparently has informed them to move on, after having verbally committed to taking the job.  And yes, it certainly would have been a home run and generated a ton of positivity and enthusiasm.

I heard that name you were talking about OldCat74 last night at work. It just didn't pass the sniff test to me. Why would he leave the job he has now to come to Loserville, I mean Lee High (sorry to the 4 remaining Lee High fans!) I googled his name and came up with an article talking about how great his new job is. He said at his old school he was the janitor, strength coach and the trainer. The new school has all of that. Why would he want to go back to doing all that? Not sure who started the rumor but it just didn't make sense to me from the start.

Death, Taxes and Lee looking for a football coach. Will it ever end? Will Lee recover enough to ever gain back it's exodus of players to Union? Will the people of Lee County ever stop the metaling? These are the questions that a good three part documentary could solve. I wish Lee High the best, football is better in the Mountain District when they are good!

The big thing Lee County and Lee High School need to do is stop the bleed of athletes, particularly football players to Union. They seem to lose some athletes on the Jonesville end to Thomas Walker also.  Not sure what the answer is.